MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Well, now that the FL AG will have documents related to the ACC overall agreements it could get interesting later this week, then with a drum roll we have the Aug. 15 date quickly approaching. If the infamous unilateral ... "not approved by members" ESPN media agreement extension granted by Phillips in August, 2021, some 7 months AFTER the actual legal extension expired, is ruled NULL & VOID then it is over ... both media agreement and GOR (which exists EXCLUSIVELY TO SUPPORT THE ESPN MEDIA AGREEMENT) are finished after the 2026 football season. So we will see how this thing actually shakes out. Any new ESPN media proposal needs member approval and will be accompanied by a new GOR ... don't sign and the door is open with the ACC exit fee only. Interesting times.

Well, now that the FL AG will have documents related to the ACC overall agreements it could get interesting later this week, then with a drum roll we have the Aug. 15 date quickly approaching. If the infamous unilateral ... "not approved by members" ESPN media agreement extension granted by Phillips in August, 2021, some 7 months AFTER the actual legal extension expired, is ruled NULL & VOID then it is over ... both media agreement and GOR (which exists EXCLUSIVELY TO SUPPORT THE ESPN MEDIA AGREEMENT) are finished after the 2026 football season. So we will see how this thing actually shakes out. Any new ESPN media proposal needs member approval and will be accompanied by a new GOR ... don't sign and the door is open with the ACC exit fee only. Interesting times.
1722385658864.gif

Do you think the judge will rule the media extension is "null and void" later this week or by Aug 15?

Advertisement
Well, now that the FL AG will have documents related to the ACC overall agreements it could get interesting later this week, then with a drum roll we have the Aug. 15 date quickly approaching. If the infamous unilateral ... "not approved by members" ESPN media agreement extension granted by Phillips in August, 2021, some 7 months AFTER the actual legal extension expired, is ruled NULL & VOID then it is over ... both media agreement and GOR (which exists EXCLUSIVELY TO SUPPORT THE ESPN MEDIA AGREEMENT) are finished after the 2026 football season. So we will see how this thing actually shakes out. Any new ESPN media proposal needs member approval and will be accompanied by a new GOR ... don't sign and the door is open with the ACC exit fee only.y Interesting times.
Why do you assumethere will be a new ESPN media propposal and why do all assume it will be better than the existing proposal. I see this whole, both pro and college, financial greed to be feeding on itself and beginning a catastrophic race to a financial cataclysm. Think of Bally sports on steroids. If ESPN is losing money now, how do they make more money buy spending more money. It is the classic PE model of collapse by expansion. We can grow the company by adding more stores. When revnues per existing location shrink, extinction is on the way.

Why do you assumethere will be a new ESPN media propposal and why do all assume it will be better than the existing proposal. I see this whole, both pro and college, financial greed to be feeding on itself and beginning a catastrophic race to a financial cataclysm. Think of Bally sports on steroids. If ESPN is losing money now, how do they make more money buy spending more money. It is the classic PE model of collapse by expansion. We can grow the company by adding more stores. When revnues per existing location shrink, extinction is on the way.
???Where do I say I assume there WILL BE a new ESPN media proposal? And WHERE do I state that it will be BETTER than the existing one?? There might be a new media proposal from ESPN, with FSU / CU (and mayb others) announcing their departure, but a new proposal would most likely be 25-40% less than the current one. Nobody knows if ESPN wants to keep the ACCN running.

What was interesting yesterday is a post by RegalNole on Warchant ... a page from a summary ESPN balance sheet that showed the PAYOUT PAGE to the ACC conference ... payments stopped after the FY ending June 30, 2026. That coincides with the reports that the ESPN media agreement runs ONLY through the 2026 football season, and ends on June 30, 2027. (Regal worked on the finance side of the media industry and was involved in forensic accounting ... retired).

Advertisement
Do you think the judge will rule the media extension is "null and void" later this week or by Aug 15?
Not even sure if there is a hearing scheduled by either court at this point so I highly doubt any judge will announce a ruling. What might happen however, depending on how redacted the documents are that the AG receives, is the FL AG posts certain documents for public review and a ****storm results. A lot of the media is still taking the view that "there is an ESPN media agreement in force until 2036 with an opt out". Once everybody is shown that the ACTUAL media agreement runs only until 6/30/27, and the option to extend the agreement was made 7 months after the original option expired ... without member approval ... then the media message will change in tone.

Not even sure if there is a hearing scheduled by either court at this point so I highly doubt any judge will announce a ruling. What might happen however, depending on how redacted the documents are that the AG receives, is the FL AG posts certain documents for public review and a ****storm results. A lot of the media is still taking the view that "there is an ESPN media agreement in force until 2036 with an opt out". Once everybody is shown that the ACTUAL media agreement runs only until 6/30/27, and the option to extend the agreement was made 7 months after the original option expired ... without member approval ... then the media message will change in tone.
Thank you for the update.

I'm not sure how the media views the agreement means anything at the end of the day. It all depends on how the judge rules. The media can say the agreement is in force until 2036, but they don't have the power to make that decision.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I like Kevin but I have to disagree with him here, albeit the video is a couple of months old. Yes, the wave in 8-10 years might have the football breakaway that has been discussed in here and he is not wrong saying that is likely the most important. But I don't think our program would survive (at least competing for ships) waiting 8-10 years for that.

Advertisement
Back