MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

not that I believe anything the ACC does/says at this point, but UM FB and Bball on course to collect that extra $25mil
ejDxbDaxZZkeQmr0yu.gif

Advertisement
One major issue is the validity of the extension option. The OPTION to extend the media agreement that ends on June 30, 2027 expired on January 1, 2021. Phillips unilaterally granted ESPN a new option to extend ... without the required 2/3 member approval ... on August 1, 2021, a full 7 months AFTER the original option expired. Both Clemson and FSU are taking the position that the unapproved option is invalid, and since the GOR is SPECIFICALLY TIED TO THE ESPN MEDIA AGREEMENT, it also ends on June 30, 2027. Any action to extend would require a). A new member approval and b). A new GOR.

Both Clemson and FSU are taking the position that "worst case" we are out with no media buyback and a drastically reduced exit fee for the 2027 season. That would also apply to any other member that wishes to leave the ACC.
I was listening to a summary today that was speculating FSU + Clemson's goal of 2027 season exit is in jeopardy and ACC full implosion (ideal for FSU + Clemson) becoming a crack dream.

Obviously I want what is best for our Miami Hurricanes but the small, liitle, vindictive person in me also wants to see maximum pain and suffering inflcited upon the Nole.

We DONT have to make ND money. We just have to make MORE MONEY than ACC money and blow UP this conference. Clearly B1G and SEC aren’t ready for expansion AGAIN, so why not think of our OTHER options.
I feel like if I go back through your post history, if I take your capitalized words only that you have a secret message to decode using them. Are you a hostage? Are you chained up in someone’s basement? Do you need help?
Blink twice if I’m right……
feet roommate GIF

Advertisement
We DONT have to make ND money. We just have to make MORE MONEY than ACC money and blow UP this conference. Clearly B1G and SEC aren’t ready for expansion AGAIN, so why not think of our OTHER options.
we wont get that in a standalone media deal

Advertisement
Was reading how move to Big XII for FSU + Clemson + Miami et al:

- More money than ACC
- Shortens GOR nonesense to 2030
- Better managed Conference

Just posturing mi amigo.

SEC and B1G keeping their hands clean until ACC schools are free from their contractual obligations.

Sankey and the Big Ten commissioner will swoop down like buzzards feasting on roadkill once the coast is clear.

Was reading how move to Big XII for FSU + Clemson + Miami et al:

- More money than ACC
- Shortens GOR nonesense to 2030
- Better managed Conference
But if we get out of ACC we have no GOR nonsense to begin with lol. So how can that be a point in favor of b12? That would be a negative going from an unenforceable GoR in ACC to b12 where I’d assume it is. Also we wouldn’t move to b12 just to switch conferences after 5 years again…

I really don’t get why people key saying more money then ACC either

But if we get out of ACC we have no GOR nonsense to begin with lol. So how can that be a point in favor of b12? That would be a negative going from an unenforceable GoR in ACC to b12 where I’d assume it is. Also we wouldn’t move to b12 just to switch conferences after 5 years again…

Couple of issues that change the conference payout. IF FSU / Clemson leave the ACC then the ACC payout is going to be decreased by ESPN ... so money will be less to whoever remains and that makes the B12 more attractive to remaining schools ... potentially. It has also been discussed that Yormark has "targeted" several ACC programs to be brought in at a higher payout. Obviously nobody is simply leaving the ACC for less money. However if the GOR is ruled to be ineffective after the 2026 season, with ESPN choosing not to extend, then you will see as Holdmybeer stated above ... both the B10 and SEC start swooping up the prime ACC programs.

They are both 100% going to expand sooner than later, they just don’t want to be sued by the ACC. It’s as simple as that. Also, this is a business, money and brand are very important.

Advertisement

It appears B12 deals > ACC deals.

And again....B1G and SEC are just a few brand names and the entire rest of their leagues are no better than ACC or Big XII competitive or brand awareness wise.

Straight up cheeky cheeks booty juice basura.

To me, that is what is maddening about talk of the B1G and SEC.

It appears B12 deals > ACC deals.

And again....B1G and SEC are just a few brand names and the entire rest of their leagues are no better than ACC or Big XII competitive or brand awareness wise.

Straight up cheeky cheeks booty juice basura.

To me, that is what is maddening about talk of the B1G and SEC.
But obviously the leaders of those leagues recognized their value and negotiated the best deals for their league. Whereas the ACC lesders negotiated the best deal for their own pockets. Not for their members.

Advertisement
There may be another option that I have not seen mentioned here. Assuming teams can get out of the ACC for a reasonable cost at some point in the near future, rather than trying to get into one of the other conferences for a fractional share, why not start a new conference made up of the most valuable 9 teams in the eyes of the TV networks. I would have to assume the bottom tier teams in the ACC don’t bring much value to the networks. If those 9 teams, who would play an 8 game conference schedule so that each team plays each other annually, can get the same TV contract dollars as the ACC currently generates, each team would get significantly more from the TV contract since it is not being split 15-18 ways. Also, the matchups would be a lot more attractive since you would not have undesirable teams like Boston College and Wake Forest from a TV perspective in the new conference. My assumption is the new conference would be made up of both Virginia teams, Louisville, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State, Florida State, and Miami. The ninth slot would ideally go to Notre Dame. However, if they don’t join the new conference, the next best options would be Pittsburgh or Georgia Tech. In this scenario, the rivalries that matter would also be maintained. The Carolina and Virginia schools can stay together which solves the state governments trying to tie those teams together. The critical piece to this puzzle would be ensuring that two teams from the new conference are guaranteed spots in the 12 team playoff.

There may be another option that I have not seen mentioned here. Assuming teams can get out of the ACC for a reasonable cost at some point in the near future, rather than trying to get into one of the other conferences for a fractional share, why not start a new conference made up of the most valuable 9 teams in the eyes of the TV networks. I would have to assume the bottom tier teams in the ACC don’t bring much value to the networks. If those 9 teams, who would play an 8 game conference schedule so that each team plays each other annually, can get the same TV contract dollars as the ACC currently generates, each team would get significantly more from the TV contract since it is not being split 15-18 ways. Also, the matchups would be a lot more attractive since you would not have undesirable teams like Boston College and Wake Forest from a TV perspective in the new conference. My assumption is the new conference would be made up of both Virginia teams, Louisville, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State, Florida State, and Miami. The ninth slot would ideally go to Notre Dame. However, if they don’t join the new conference, the next best options would be Pittsburgh or Georgia Tech. In this scenario, the rivalries that matter would also be maintained. The Carolina and Virginia schools can stay together which solves the state governments trying to tie those teams together. The critical piece to this puzzle would be ensuring that two teams from the new conference are guaranteed spots in the 12 team playoff.
Now we are getting closer to reality. But add Syracuse, Pitt, GT ...

2030s superleague.

Yes....probably 20-ish teams.

TJ posted a YT video saying Florida's AG is releasing the contract publicly next week with the trade secrets redacted. It will have Swofford's Raycom deals. It will have the contract amendment he made that were supposed to be approved by every program. At that point, what is the point of the trial? The whole world has what he did. I would think settlement immediately and Phillips would have known this in front of the mic days ago.

Advertisement
Back