MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Schitts Creek Wow GIF by CBC

Advertisement
Do you think Big Ten presidents decided on going to the West Coast on their own - particularly poaching schools from a conference they had a close relationship with for nearly 80 years?

I think it was a case where it worked for both sides. Network wanted California market and those fan bases, B1G felt they met the academic criteria. Since they were going to west coast anyways, Oregon and UW basically begged to get in because they knew Pac12 was collapsing. I don’t think the B1G or Fox was super interested in those two but both are AAU schools and have been top football programs in recent years.

Pretty sure rumor mill was that UM had made a good impression on the B1G (they helped with getting AAU), and we had a decent shot at making the jump (guess is paired with UNC or ND),but Oregon and UW accepting half shares screwed it up. B1G felt 4 teams was enough expansion for the time being.

As for being friends with the Pac12, B1G was such a good friend that it did a mercy killing instead of watching it wither away.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think it was a case where it worked for both sides. Network wanted California market and those fan bases, B1G felt they met the academic criteria. Since they were going to west coast anyways, Oregon and UW basically begged to get in because they knew Pac12 was collapsing. I don’t think the B1G or Fox was super interested in those two but both are AAU schools and have been top football programs in recent years.

Pretty sure rumor mill was that UM had made a good impression on the B1G (they helped with getting AAU), and we had a decent shot at making the jump (guess is paired with UNC or ND),but Oregon and UW accepting half shares screwed it up. B1G felt 4 teams was enough expansion for the time being.

As for being friends with the Pac12, B1G was such a good friend that it did a mercy killing instead of watching it wither away.
Mercy killing? Disagree with you there. If USC and UCLA stick around, the PAC 12 isn't dying. It isn't anywhere near as strong as the B1G or SEC, but they get a much better TV deal than Apple streaming like was offered last year. Colorado doesn't jump ship and the rest stay as well.

The way it works out for both sides is both sides make more money. The network wanted to get the California market to make more money without having to bring along the dead weight of the other 10 schools in the conference. The fit for B1G academic criteria is a misnomer. It was to bring the conference and its members more money. If academics were the only factor, there are much closer AAU schools available than 2,000 miles away.

AAU status is just a guideline which can be changed at any time. Contiguous states were a guideline as well in previous B1G expansion, but that guideline obviously had a price on it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
My predictions:

- Zero chance FSU, Clemson, Miami, or UNC are leaving the ACC to join the Big12.

- ACC officially dies when UNC leaves. If they stay they will replace whoever leaves with USF, Tulane, memohis, etc

- Miami ends up in the Big10, probably 1/2-3/4 share (we have a buyout, Oregon/UW didn’t, so we need more money, and we are worth more) until 2030, then we get full shares.

- Stanford Joins B10 and ND agrees to new schedule agreement with B10.

- SEC gets Clemson

- Louisville, NCSt, and Pitt to Big12.

- Big10 takes a Texas school.

- Wake and BC are left out like Oregon St and Washington St were.

My predictions:

- Zero chance FSU, Clemson, Miami, or UNC are leaving the ACC to join the Big12.

- ACC officially dies when UNC leaves. If they stay they will replace whoever leaves with USF, Tulane, memohis, etc

- Miami ends up in the Big10, probably 1/2-3/4 share (we have a buyout, Oregon/UW didn’t, so we need more money, and we are worth more) until 2030, then we get full shares.

- Stanford Joins B10 and ND agrees to new schedule agreement with B10.

- SEC gets Clemson

- Louisville, NCSt, and Pitt to Big12.

- Big10 takes a Texas school.

- Wake and BC are left out like Oregon St and Washington St were.
FSU just drops football?

Perhaps all of this conference realignment talk is null and void in just two more years. Sankey hints at football only Super Leagues and private equity being involved that way vs NIL to make more $ in return. Maybe that is why the SEC and B1G could be pumping th brakes on adding teams. Perhaps any team that signs on with the Big 12 with private equity is locking themselves out of the super league.

Advertisement
Back