MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Wouldn’t it be better for the ACC to renegotiate and keep everyone happy rather than risk capitulation with their top schools leaving?

Would have to do unequal revenue SHARING.. which other programs wouldn’t accept. They’re leaches on top 3 FSU CLEMSON MIAMI success

Advertisement
FFS

NOBODY HAS A “STANDING INVITATION”. ITS TAMPERING. THATS NOT HOW ANY OF THIS WORKS.

You really think he means a formal standing invitation in writing? You may not like what his sources say, but it's as valid as any of the other "rumors" out there.

And is anyone really worrying about tampering in all of this conference realignment? Seems there has been plenty of tampering occurring all along, but we're supposed to think its just stopped now because the Canes are involved?

Would have to do unequal revenue SHARING.. which other programs wouldn’t accept. They’re leaches on top 3 FSU CLEMSON MIAMI success
Agreed. However, every pundit seems to think the Big 12 would be open to it in order to bring in FSU and Clemson. Who knows what a desperate ACC would agree to in order to keep the conference together?

In the end though, it would just kick the can down the road and basically ensure the death of the conference.

Snip from BJ article (Miami Herald)

2). A source with direct knowledge reiterated to the Miami Herald this week that UM has no standing invitation to join the SEC or Big 10. (Also, social media speculation linking UM to the Big 12 is unfounded.)

That doesn’t rule out either the SEC or Big 10 eventually inviting UM if the ACC surprisingly implodes before the “Grant of Rights” media deal that essentially binds schools to the conference ends in 2036.

But UM knows that there’s no point in antagonizing the ACC by filing a dubious lawsuit (as FSU and Clemson have done) when there’s clearly no better situation available to them now.

——-

Sounds like we DONT have a SPOT
Wow, you really don't get how this works do you?

You really think he means a formal standing invitation in writing? You may not like what his sources say, but it's as valid as any of the other "rumors" out there.

And is anyone really worrying about tampering in all of this conference realignment? Seems there has been plenty of tampering occurring all along, but we're supposed to think it’s just stopped now because the Canes are involved?
Yes I do think he means a formal standing in writing ordirectly verbal on behalf of the conference invitation. Yes. That’s different from other things. Words matter in this area.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Hey Stewart: With the Big Ten and SEC both stating they have no interest in adding any more teams, where does that leave Florida State and Clemson, considering the current “scorched earth” approach they have taken towards the ACC? Would they even be interested in joining the Big 12? — Conor O., Houston

That’s the million dollar — er, $130 million dollar — question these days.

Before anything else can happen, FSU and Clemson have to resolve their lawsuits with the ACC. That could take years, if they go to trial, or months, if the sides reach a settlement.

Meanwhile, an important date is looming for the entire ACC: February 2025. That’s when ESPN has a “look-in” to decide whether it wants to continue with its ACC contract for another 10 years (2027-2036). Were things completely stable, it would be a no-brainer for the network to keep things as is, given the locked-in price, especially with the revenue it makes from the ACC Network. But if the network opts out … chaos in the streets.

In terms of the Big Ten and SEC — of course, they’re going to say, as commissioner Greg Sankey did at SEC media days this week, “Our focus is on our 16 members.” Expect something similar from the Big Ten’s Tony Petitti next week. Their focus is not on realignment, because there’s no one of value that’s realistically available. That could change in an instant if the ACC implodes.

The Big Ten in particular will likely do whatever Fox tells it to do, and it may well covet a powerhouse program that gets it into a hugely populous state. That seems a more viable option than the SEC, which already has schools in Florida and South Carolina and whose partner, ESPN, has no incentive to pay more money to show Florida State and Clemson than it does now.

The Big 12 presents an interesting, if less plausible, alternative. On the one hand, that conference makes no more than the ACC does now, so, what’s the point, right? But if Brett Yormark gets his wish and gets his presidents to sign off on a private equity deal, it may be able to pay Florida State and Clemson a lot more than they make now, even before negotiating a new TV deal. In that scenario, those schools might be able to make Big Ten/SEC money without having to play a Big Ten/SEC schedule.

I just find it hard to imagine those schools want to join a less-glamorous conference. Perhaps they could use an invite as leverage to gain more favorable terms from the ACC.

Not to play the whole conspiracy angle here, but you have to wonder with how garbage ACC refs are…

Could this “scorched earth” method possibly affect how FSU and Clemson games are handled? Or maybe I’m just reaching.

Advertisement
I couldn’t disagree more with this part. Big Ten presidents will not be pushed around by a TV network.
Do you think Big Ten presidents decided on going to the West Coast on their own - particularly poaching schools from a conference they had a close relationship with for nearly 80 years?

Advertisement
Still better than being a giant ****** who uses the pathetic cop-out excuse of "Things change quickly" instead of admitting you are wrong.

Grow a pair of balls and take a position.

1. What conference will UM be playing in in 2027.
2. What conference will FSU be playing in in 2027.

You will be either right or wrong. And if you are wrong, be man enough to admit it. I’ve never said I had sources or inside info, yet TheOriginalKaren (and his little butt buddy, Prickd) tries to throw that out as insult, and insinuating he has sources while I don’t (I don’t). I just have the capacity to do critical thinking and realize things don’t make sense, like the buzz that FSU was joining the B1G- I didn’t buy it for one second because anyone who can read knows that the B1G takes AAU accreditation very seriously. And it’s entirely possible that he does have sources, but if he does, he’s a both a ******* moron and a turbo douche for not realizing he should be a little bit skeptical of what he’s hearing because it doesn’t pass the smell test, and then insulting anyone who questions him on a free fan website and acting like he owns the place.
I never thought FSU was going BIG. Just didn't not seem like a fit to me, just my own opinion and reason. I never took a side on this because I don't have any sources, I would be just offering my opinion. But what TOC said was just funny. I don't take myself or my opinions to serious. I have read articles yesterday dogging out FSU and how they went about this, and the other conference heads don't like it and they should have tried to build the ACC stronger instead of fighting to get out. blah blah. Thats shortsighted, I think. I do not like the ACC at all and haven't for quite a while. I think they have their favorites depending what is going on with the conference year to year. I think the right move is for any team in the ACC to try and figure a way into the SEC or BIG. I do not think big12 is a long-term solution either. I am just not amused with how little the ACC has done for years now while others make moves for their future and members future. I hate fsu and idk in the long run if they went about this the best way or not. Early on I was envious of how their admin was doing it but now maybe they stepped in sh** to much? Who knows. I hope for a great year, Miami needed it last year, really need it now. The clock is ticking.

I couldn’t disagree more with this part. Big Ten presidents will not be pushed around by a TV network.
Problem is this is not an "academic realignment" and the Big Ten presidents DO want a). More money for their schools b). Increased promotion via big game programming that is on the table via adding high viewer football brands. I would not be surprised if the media partners expansion candidates get a pass on some areas. I would not be surprised at all to see both FSU and Clemson in the P2 at the latest for the 2026 season.

Advertisement
Back