MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I might be reading too much into some of his comments but it seems like he doesn’t hold FSU in high regard.
Yeah, he's a bit salty regarding FSU. He's playing the part of conference commissioner defending a member of his conference (UGA) and ****ed off at how public they've been with going after the ACC as well as getting the ACC to be forced to open up their books to the public.

At the same time, money has a magical ability of bringing people together. Sankey's quoted above as stating "We're not going to take our pie and slice into more pieces". If ESPN agrees to increase the size of the pie where even with additional slices, each slice is bigger I'm sure they'd be happy to bring in additional schools. The question is: does ESPN think FSU and/or Clemson are worth it?

Advertisement

james horner spiderman GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, he's a bit salty regarding FSU. He's playing the part of conference commissioner defending a member of his conference (UGA) and ****ed off at how public they've been with going after the ACC as well as getting the ACC to be forced to open up their books to the public.

At the same time, money has a magical ability of bringing people together. Sankey's quoted above as stating "We're not going to take our pie and slice into more pieces". If ESPN agrees to increase the size of the pie where even with additional slices, each slice is bigger I'm sure they'd be happy to bring in additional schools. The question is: does ESPN think FSU and/or Clemson are worth it?

Misinformation is in full swing as the game of musical chairs heats up

I know the source is an FSU fan but that doesn’t change the facts of the SEC tv deal with ESPN

Advertisement

Nailed it CiB

It's all posturing (and Sankey bringing FSU to heel for its incessant public whining)

1) The SEC commissioner and his SEC presidents want nothing to do with lawsuits

2) Sankey doesn't want to be seen as back-stabbing his buddy Jim Phillips

The media rights and CFP money will work itself out and none of the the 16 current SEC members will take a penny less if the conference expands again (they may well get a boost as a trade-off for the commissioner and ESPN adding more teams).

JMO, Sankey is waiting for the FSU/Clemson suits to move toward settlement, but, more importantly, the clock to run out on ESPN opting in for its 2027-2036 deal with the ACC.

That fish or cut deadline for that decision is Feb. 1, 2025 — 6½ months from now.

ESPN opts out and the ACC falls apart quicker than a Mark D'Onofrio defense

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nailed it CiB

It's all posturing (and Sankey bringing FSU to heel for its incessant public whining)

1) The SEC commissioner and his SEC presidents want nothing to do with lawsuits

2) Sankey doesn't want to be seen as back-stabbing his buddy Jim Phillips

The media rights and CFP money will work itself out and none of the the 16 current SEC members will take a penny less if the conference expands again (they may well get a boost as a trade-off for the commissioner and ESPN adding more teams).

JMO, Sankey is waiting for the FSU/Clemson suits to move toward settlement, but, more importantly, the clock to run out on ESPN opting in for its 2027-2036 deal with the ACC.

That fish or cut deadline for that decision is Feb. 1, 2025 — 6½ months from now.

ESPN opts out and the ACC falls apart quicker than a Mark D'Onofrio defense

Here’s the thing that is drastically different than from 4 to 6 years ago….

The media and streaming landscape

Amazon
Apple
Paramount/CBS
Netflix

There’s waaaaaay more options for ACC to pivot and potentially make the same or more than that one sided ESPN deal

Now, who knows what teams will be left, and that will determine contracts terms, I’m just saying I don’t agree with the narrative that the ACC would die on the vine if it divorced ESPN

The back to back natty CHAMP is UConn… check what conference they’re in. I don’t think basketball MATTERS anymore than baseball tbh.
The New York Yankees haven't even played in a World Series since 2009, but willing to bet that TV networks would value them more than most if not every single team below

1721412637863.webp

Here’s the thing that is drastically different than from 4 to 6 years ago….

The media and streaming landscape

Amazon
Apple
Paramount/CBS
Netflix

There’s waaaaaay more options for ACC to pivot and potentially make the same or more than that one sided ESPN deal

Now, who knows what teams will be left, and that will determine contracts terms, I’m just saying I don’t agree with the narrative that the ACC would die on the vine if it divorced ESPN
Doubt ANY ACC that lacks FSU, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, Louisville, UNC is going to get anywhere NEAR $40M per year per school. The only thing "one sided" about the ESPN deal is the money received by FSU, Clemson, and Miami. Those 3 schools accounted for almost 50% of total TV viewership annually over the past 10 year cycle. The ones getting a free ride are BC, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Duke (football), who wouldn't command $20 million dollars on their own. IF FSU & Clemson announce they are leaving, ESPN will announce THEY aren't extending their media agreement .... then it is the PAC 12 scenario all over again.

Advertisement
Back