MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
I'm not knocking you personally, Tony, but I really wish someone would explain this magic PE money. You know, the extra cash infusion that will never ever have to be paid back, right?

To quote the great Bob Dylan....

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk
Might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread
May be sleeping on the floor, sleepin' in a king-size bed

But you're gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Yes indeed, you're gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Well, it may be the Devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody
I don't think people know what PE actually is. Its being talked about as if its NIL for conferences.

Advertisement
It is going to be fascinating to see how this next phase of realignment actually goes down. One aspect that might be more involved than is being mentioned is VENU SPORTS STREAMING, that is supposed to launch in the Fall of this year. Joint venture sports streaming service between ESPN, FOX and WBD (who owns TNT). THEORETICALLY any ACC program could be moved by ESPN to any conference (paying a negotiated exit fee) and the media rights could be passed to VENU and might even end up with some games on ESPN or FOX. Back room negotiations at this point could involve "solutions" that we haven't contemplated.

It is going to be fascinating to see how this next phase of realignment actually goes down. One aspect that might be more involved than is being mentioned is VENU SPORTS STREAMING, that is supposed to launch in the Fall of this year. Joint venture sports streaming service between ESPN, FOX and WBD (who owns TNT). THEORETICALLY any ACC program could be moved by ESPN to any conference (paying a negotiated exit fee) and the media rights could be passed to VENU and might even end up with some games on ESPN or FOX. Back room negotiations at this point could involve "solutions" that we haven't contemplated.

1721047574184.webp

Advertisement
If I ran The U, I would approach the B1G and offer to join for 33% until the next TV contract. Make up the difference with boosters and investors..........................We still might not get in.

If I ran The U, I would approach the B1G and offer to join for 33% until the next TV contract. Make up the difference with boosters and investors..........................We still might not get in.

If Washington (13th largest state, 7.8 million population, 1 national championship) and Oregon (27th largest state, 4.2 million population, 0 national championships) can get in by offering to take half-shares, and Rutgers (11th largest state, 9.3 million population, 0 national championships) and Maryland (19th largest state, 6.2 million population, 0 national championships) are already in on half-shares, then I could definitely see Miami getting in on a half share (3rd largest state, 23 million population, 5 national championships).

The state of Florida has a population that is only 4.5 million behind the COMBINATION of Washington, Oregon, New Jersey, and Maryland.

That's a lot of TV sets. That's a lot of carriage fees. And before anyone yaps about how "UM can't deliver the whole state", neither can any of those other schools in their states.

Last edited:
If Washington (13th largest state, 7.8 million population, 1 national championship) and Oregon (27th largest state, 4.2 million population, 0 national championships) can get in by offering to take half-shares, and Rutgers (11th largest state, 9.3 million population, 0 national championships) and Maryland (19th largest state, 6.2 million population, 0 national championships) are already in on half-shares, then I could definitely see Miami getting in on a half share (3rd largest state, 23 million population, 5 national championships).

The state of Florida has a population is only 4.5 million behind the COMBINATION of Washington, Oregon, New Jersey, and Maryland.

That's a lot of TV sets. That's a lot of carriage fees. And before anyone yaps about how "UM can't deliver the whole state", neither can any of those other schools in their states.
That is why FSU to the SEC would be huge for Miami.

Advertisement

RIGHT. I even said we should go free trial period. TRY US OUT like YTTV for rest of the decade. We will make you money HAND OVER FIST.

look at COPAMERICA yesterday. We could do that every weekend. We just need the BUZZ. Getting P2 plus our RECRUITING. That sells TIX

RIGHT. I even said we should go free trial period. TRY US OUT like YTTV for rest of the decade. We will make you money HAND OVER FIST.

look at COPAMERICA yesterday. We could do that every weekend. We just need the BUZZ. Getting P2 plus our RECRUITING. That sells TIX
You can’t do that every weekend with the ACC schedule; however, a Big 10 schedule will absolutely bump our attendance. Mix that in with winning and now we are *******.

I don't think people know what PE actually is. Its being talked about as if its NIL for conferences.

"Howdy, college football fans. If you'll spare me a moment, I'd like to explain to you how private equity might be the right choice for the future of your conference..."

Screenshot_20240715_145439_Chrome.webp

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back