MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
What I don't get is why anyone thinks the B12 is more appealing than the ACC today?

Allow me to illuminate-

A long time ago McDonald's was a struggling company- it had started franchising but quality was all over the place, they couldn't get the supply chain figured out, and banks stopped giving them loans. A smart man told Ray Kroc he was looking at the business the wrong way. McDonald's was in the real estate business, not the "making food" business. From that point on, everything changed. Yormark said something a while back that struck me as similarly insightful. He said he was in the marketing business. His job is to build the brand. That is, in fact, today's reality. The conference commissioner is not in the football business, he is in the marketing business. Yomark gets it. The ACC commissioner does not.

Fact 1: fsu is not doing what they’re doing without a clear, definitive home in a P2 league.

Fact 2: your athletic department will be dead if you don’t get into the P2 very, very soon. (In comparison to the other P2 schools)

This isn’t my opinion. This isn’t message board rhetoric. These are facts. So if you think fsu is “milking” things, great. The fact is, they’re aggressively pushing to get out of a dead league and get into one of the only 2 that matter. Is Miami doing the same in silence? We’ll see. But fsu is doing exactly what they need to do for survival.
How you feeling about those “facts”?

Allow me to illuminate-

A long time ago McDonald's was a struggling company- it had started franchising but quality was all over the place, they couldn't get the supply chain figured out, and banks stopped giving them loans. A smart man told Ray Kroc he was looking at the business the wrong way. McDonald's was in the real estate business, not the "making food" business. From that point on, everything changed. Yormark said something a while back that struck me as similarly insightful. He said he was in the marketing business. His job is to build the brand. That is, in fact, today's reality. The conference commissioner is not in the football business, he is in the marketing business. Yomark gets it. The ACC commissioner does not.
@Empirical Cane and I are impressed and 100% sold on your reasoning here.

@TheOriginalCane would you agree that in this situation ole Squiddles here makes an insightful point?

Advertisement
Like they’re factual? Thanks.
You’ve gotta start posting this when you respond to someone like that…

Macaulay Culkin 90S GIF by Home Alone

If you all think the rumors are crazy this week, just wait till next week.... If you are going to go head over heels with every rumor that comes out, this is going to be a much longer process for you. Just look at how last year with the Pac played out. Patience..

Allow me to illuminate-

Yeah but putting lipstick on a pig isn't going to be successful long-term, and that's what the B12 is. The ACC has better programs. It's undeniable. And the media partners agree, which is why the ACC receives more money on an older contract.

Advertisement
Yeah but putting lipstick on a pig isn't going to be successful long-term, and that's what the B12 is.

30 years ago brown diamonds were considered junk and worthless. Then someone came up with the idea to call them "chocolate diamonds" and demand (and the price) soared. Branding and marketing. Yormark himself called the Big12 a "mature start-up." I think that is exactly correct. He has the flexibility to make moves that even the P2 can't because they are locked into contracts with monolithic media companies.

It sounds like you can predict the future and you know the B12 isn't going to be successful long term. You should use your powers of clairvoyance to make lots of money.

Personally I like the idea of small scrappy conference doing unorthodox things to shake up the good ol' boys in the SEC and B1G, and then establishing itself as the cool alternative to the P2. Reminds me of a certain program in the 1980s...

Last edited:
The SEC didn't post the vote results with comments. An SEC guy posted the "results" and HE gave what he believed to be the reasons. Christ .... all of this stuff is going on back channel and people are asking for certified documental proof?
Dude, the point is, it is going on back channel and we're going off of what you put out there. Maybe put a lInk to where you are getting it from and then we don't have to figure out whether you're putting your spin on things or if that is exactly how the source interpreted it.

In this case, the reasons for no votes seem questionable.....to be kind.

Dude, the point is, it is going on back channel and we're going off of what you put out there. Maybe put a lInk to where you are getting it from and then we don't have to figure out whether you're putting your spin on things or if that is exactly how the source interpreted it.

In this case, the reasons for no votes seem questionable.....to be kind.
It’s 100 percent coming from Warchant.

You were wrong when you said this to me ten months ago, and you're wrong now.

Instead of being the guy who marries the hot, rich chick and loses everything in the divorce, and ends up living in a van down by the river, maybe you should marry the ****, chunky girl with the giant tata's who will cook, clean, raise the kids and love you forever for who you are. Okay, offbeat analogy. lol

Seriously though. UM can be a premier program in the Big XII. In the Big Ten, UM is an afterthought; A political outsider, just like in the ACC. I still maintain my position that UM is better off taking nominally less money to be in the Big XII than in the Big Ten.
Three questions:

(1) Why is it better to be the king of the kiddy table and college football g-league than to have a seat at the table in the P2?

(2) How do you overcome the recruiting and tv/streaming disparities with the P2? Who’s gonna come play for us in the Big 12, if they get same or similar NIL in the P2? Why would they play in a conference with less national visibility?

(3) Why do we care if we’re the premiere team in a conference? Nobody cares who the premiere team in the AAC, MAC sunbelt, etc is. A Miami that’s a top 3-4 team in the BIG 10 gets way more respect than a Miami that’s #1 in the Big 12. It’s not hard to be the “premiere option” when your competition is Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, OKST, TCU, etc

The Big 12 isn’t an option you take unless you have no other options.

Advertisement
30 years ago brown diamonds were considered junk and worthless. Then someone came up with the idea to call them "chocolate diamonds" and demand (and the price) soared. Branding and marketing. Yormark himself called the Big12 a "mature start-up." I think that is exactly correct. He has the flexibility to make moves that even the P2 can't because they are locked into contracts with monolithic media companies.

It sounds like you can predict the future and you know the B12 isn't going to be successful long term. You should use your powers of clairvoyance to make lots of money.

Personally I like the idea of small scrappy conference doing unorthodox things to shake up the good ol' boys in the SEC and B1G, and then establishing itself as the cool alternative to the P2. Reminds me of a certain program in the 1980s...
20 years ago a 19 year old Entrepreneur founded a company and grew it to a valuation of $10B within a decade The company made many bold claims, moved quickly, and Marketed well. That marketing led to many investments... And it all ended with Elizabeth Holmes in prison. Cause at the end of the day, if you don't have an actual good product to sell, you won't last.

20 years ago a 19 year old Entrepreneur founded a company and grew it to a valuation of $10B within a decade The company made many bold claims, moved quickly, and Marketed well. That marketing led to many investments... And it all ended with Elizabeth Holmes in prison. Cause at the end of the day, if you don't have an actual good product to sell, you won't last.

Yormark is committing fraud and will end up in prison?
ron burgundy GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back