MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Advertisement
A little off topic but Pate just put us as the #13 program in 2024 and beyond. I know that's a subjective rating by one person but its ridiculous that a program that could potentially be competing for CFP births is being questioned if they belong in the P2. Obviously we need to prove it on the field - when we do there better not be some bs excuse to keep us out.

A little off topic but Pate just put us as the #13 program in 2024 and beyond. I know that's a subjective rating by one person but its ridiculous that a program that could potentially be competing for CFP births is being questioned if they belong in the P2. Obviously we need to prove it on the field - when we do there better not be some bs excuse to keep us out.
"Everybody" looks in the rear view mirror to confirm accomplishments ... so Miami doesn't fare very well. This is the season to change the narrative by beating UF and FSU soundly and finally winning the ACC. Things will then take care of themselves.

Interesting points.

One thing, though. There is a huge difference between where the SEC stands wrt to football with 15½ National Championships in the past 26 seasons (and 19½ once they add FSU+Clemson) compared to the B1G with just 4½.

IMO, that disparity is why we see "reports" of legitimate B1G interest in two geographical and cultural misfits like FSU and Clemson. Anything that elevated Big Ten football would have the approval of FOX and friends regardless of it makes any sense in the real world.

The SEC, which is already loaded in football, may be likely to see less value in Miami - regardless of how eager ESPN might be to bring us in the mix.

Repeating myself here, but I think it's Greg Sankey (with the support of his presidents and AD's) who makes the decision on which schools the SEC pursues or doesn't pursue — and not the decision-makers at ESPN
I don't know if this has been posted or talked about. I'm not going to read through 1000 pages.

It looks like FSU and Clemson will not be joining the B1G.

Yes, the media companies and athletic directors may want them, but the school presidents don't. AAU status is a bigger deal than people realized. It's reported that 11 schools are adamate that they will NOT vote in any school that doesn't have AAU accreditation. They are ****ed about Nebraska losing accreditation and won't budge. They don't care.

I've said it many times. I'll say it again. AAU academic research brings in more money than ALL of college football and college basketball combined.

This bodes well for Miami. I think Miami could be in the driver seat, if we are able to win the ACC and make the CFP. The tv viewership numbers would improve dramatically, which is what's holding Miami back.

If FSU joins the SEC, the B1G would definitely want Miami in order to get a foothold into Florida given they would be the only power conference without a school from Florida.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know if this has been posted or talked about. I'm not going to read through 1000 pages.

Yes, the media companies and athletic directors may want them, but the school presidents don't. AAU status is a bigger deal than people realized. It's reported that 11 schools are adamate that they will NOT vote in any school that doesn't have AAU accreditation. They are ****ed about Nebraska losing accreditation and won't budge. They don't care.

I've said it many times. I'll say it again. AAU academic research brings in more money than ALL of college football and college basketball combined.

This bodes well for Miami. I think Miami could be in the driver seat, if we are able to win the ACC and make the CFP. The tv viewership numbers would improve dramatically, which is what's holding Miami back.

If FSU joins the SEC, the B1G would definitely want Miami in order to get a foothold into Florida given they would be the only power conference without a school from Florida.
let us pray eric cartman GIF by South Park

TheOriginalComments were a lot more positive.

Ah, the hot, salty, ****y tears of the know-nothing-but-always-criticize-the-insiders duo.

Radakovich and Neff were working together on ACC exit issues for a while. I'm sorry if the know-nothings assumed this meant Miami and Clemson would end up in the same conference. I'm sure that must have hurt you badly, to still be so upset about it two years later.

And I'm sorry that the Washington-Oregon half-share deal shook up the process. We all should have foreseen that, right? That two teams that were not a priority for the Big 10 and Fox/CBS/NBC would suddenly be takes at half-price.

I know your brain needs the simplicity of a simple one-line summary that never changes for years, but reality isn't that straightforward.

That article is using a quote from Greg Swaim who has no credibility. Zero. Just happens to be on the war eagle site

That said separately that still may be the case but that article is not going to be the source because of who it is relying on

If the Big 10 is able to hold the line on AAU membership (or close, and they should know how close F$U was in the last AAU consideration cycle), then the pool is:

Arizona State (Big 12)
Miami (ACC)
Notre Dame (Independent/ACC)
USF (AAC)
Utah (Big 12)
GaTech (ACC)
aTm (SEC)
Arizona (Big 12)
Pitt (ACC)
Colorado (Big 12)
Duke (ACC)
UNC (ACC)
Kansas (Big 12)
UVa (ACC)
Stanford (ACC)
Cal (ACC)

Outside of ND (obvi), USF (wild card) and aTm (they REALLY hate Texas), the pool is:

ACC: Miami, GaTech, Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVa, Stanford, Cal

and

Big 12: Arizona State, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas

This list would explain various rumblings we've heard from some of the schools on the list. I don't think that the Big 10 needs the Big 12 schools, they have already had a chance to take four of those schools (former Pac 12 schools) and passed.

Of the ACC group, two of those schools were also former Pac 12 schools that were not taken. So the real schools to look at are Miami, GaTech, Pitt, Duke, UNC, and UVa. And I'd say that Miami and UNC are in the top 2 of that list.

Now, could the Big 10 take some borderline-AAU schools from the ACC, like F$U and NC State? Possibly. But I think Clemson is a larger stretch, even Clemson acknowledges that they need a med school for serious AAU consideration.

Advertisement
Ah, the hot, salty, ****y tears of the know-nothing-but-always-criticize-the-insiders duo.

Radakovich and Neff were working together on ACC exit issues for a while. I'm sorry if the know-nothings assumed this meant Miami and Clemson would end up in the same conference. I'm sure that must have hurt you badly, to still be so upset about it two years later.

And I'm sorry that the Washington-Oregon half-share deal shook up the process. We all should have foreseen that, right? That two teams that were not a priority for the Big 10 and Fox/CBS/NBC would suddenly be takes at half-price.

I know your brain needs the simplicity of a simple one-line summary that never changes for years, but reality isn't that straightforward.
You're an insider?

Said this since Day One: FSU and Clemson were and are going to the SEC. Period.

There's no other ending to this story despite some reporters and "reporters" suggesting or hoping otherwise.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey (with the full cooperation of ESPN) will take who he wants from the ACC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, Duke and Georgia Tech.

Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti with the support of FOX and friends (specifically NBC) will land his big fish in Miami and Notre Dame and bring Stanford and Cal through the back door to (a) fill out the West Coast wing, (b) please those academic-obsessed presidents and (c) give those AD's at mid- and lower-tier Big Ten schools teams they think they can beat on a regular basis.

Miami and the other schools leaving the ACC will give money back for their early exits (i.e. "reduced shares") to compensate the schools that end up in the Big XII, zombie ACC or somewhere else outside the SEC or B1G.

JMO like everything else in this post, but I think this all goes down sooner rather than later

Edited to add: And there will be arguments until the end of time: "Miami turned down the SEC" vs "the SEC didn't want Miami" ...

Advertisement
That article is using a quote from Greg Swaim who has no credibility. Zero. Just happens to be on the war eagle site

That said separately that still may be the case but that article is not going to be the source because of who it is relying on
Agree ... once I read the article and saw he was simply parroting Swaim I bailed. He also referenced the Finebaum comments regarding FSU not being academically qualified ... bogus. Miami would certainly be better for B10 fans visiting than a). trying to get to Tallahassee or b). "enjoying" Tallahassee fine hotels and fine dining vs the ease of getting to MIA and the plethora of hotels and dining options from Miami to Palm Beach.

As far as AAU, heck, FSU is probably closer to AAU than Nebraska, with the prospect that once attained it will be solid as they are investing institutionally in medical research. Hope they do however end up in the SEC along with Clemson. Then a pairing of Miami and Ga Tech to the B10, with UNC holding firm in the ACC.

As far as AAU, heck, FSU is probably closer to AAU than Nebraska, with the prospect that once attained it will be solid as they are investing institutionally in medical research. Hope they do however end up in the SEC along with Clemson. Then a pairing of Miami and Ga Tech to the B10, with UNC holding firm in the ACC.

After USC and UCLA announced they were leaving the Pac-12, Washington and Oregon were out the door.

Once Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah confirmed the Huskies and Ducks were leaving, the "Four Corners 4" immediately jumped to the Big XII.

And then Stanford and Cal got the call from their buddy in South Bend and became part of the ridiculous ACC expansion.

Historic loyalties aside (and UNC's isn't any more synonymous with the ACC than USC was with the Pac), this conference will be gasping for air the moment FSU and Clemson announce "we're outta here"

Tar Heels aren't hanging around for that ... and the moment they do go, the ACC is on its deathbed and it'll be rats fleeing the ship.

History is the best teacher

After USC and UCLA announced they were leaving the Pac-12, Washington and Oregon were out the door.

Once Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah confirmed the Huskies and Ducks were leaving, the "Four Corners 4" immediately jumped to the Big XII.

And then Stanford and Cal got the call from their buddy in South Bend and became part of the ridiculous ACC expansion.

Historic loyalties aside (and UNC's isn't any more synonymous with the ACC than USC was with the Pac), this conference will be gasping for air the moment FSU and Clemson announce "we're outta here"

Tar Heels aren't hanging around for that ... and the moment they do go, the ACC is on its deathbed and it'll be rats fleeing the ship.

History is the best teacher
Don't believe the ACC will totally implode like the Pac 12. Can see the B10 adding only two and the SEC taking up to four. THEN the ACC gets a revised media deal and there are a bunch of schools that won't have any other option. B12 might be able to take two. The "leftover ACC" will try to add a few to keep it afloat.

Advertisement
Back