MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Some need this
DISTRO:
DOD ALL

Screenshot_20240708_135157_DuckDuckGo.webp

Advertisement
No.

Unless one thinks DanRad should've said, "I'm honored for the consideration, but out of respect to the unfortunate ACC schools about to be left behind in realignment, I must decline this appointment so there's no confusion whether or not we're trying to get to the Big Ten."

Business as usual until it's not
So basically when the news breaks during a meeting this happens:

dave chappelle what GIF

Said this since Day One: FSU and Clemson were and are going to the SEC. Period.

There's no other ending to this story despite some reporters and "reporters" suggesting or hoping otherwise.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey (with the full cooperation of ESPN) will take who he wants from the ACC: FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, UVA, VA Tech, Duke and Georgia Tech.

Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti with the support of FOX and friends (specifically NBC) will land his big fish in Miami and Notre Dame and bring Stanford and Cal through the back door to (a) fill out the West Coast wing, (b) please those academic-obsessed presidents and (c) give those AD's at mid- and lower-tier Big Ten schools teams they think they can beat on a regular basis.

Miami and the other schools leaving the ACC will give money back for their early exits (i.e. "reduced shares") to compensate the schools that end up in the Big XII, zombie ACC or somewhere else outside the SEC or B1G.

JMO like everything else in this post, but I think this all goes down sooner rather than later

Edited to add: And there will be arguments until the end of time: "Miami turned down the SEC" vs "the SEC didn't want Miami" ...
Works for me. Let's get this over with asap.

I'm the last person to credit a Gayte but Henry Kissinger had an applicable quote when he was AD at UiF:

"Whatever must happen ultimately should happen immediately."

Advertisement
Works for me. Let's get this over with asap.

I'm the last person to credit a Gayte but Henry Kissinger had an applicable quote when he was AD at UiF:

"Whatever must happen ultimately should happen immediately."

Wasn't he the Italian general when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Serious question...have you been right on one thing regarding this conference realignment talk? Not trying to start a fight but just wondering.

Many things. Had the Washington/Oregon info (and the half-shares) before it broke, courtesy of a friend.

Just look at what those two nitwits cway and AngryIbis are complaining about. I was one of the first ones to talk about Radakovich and Neff being of a like mind on leaving the ACC when I heard about it 2 years ago.

Not my fault that Washington/Oregon messed up the process.

1720463660246.webp

Last edited:
Unpopular Take:

- July 2024 will come and go...FSU + Clemson will still be in ACC
-- No announcements made...UNLESS some conference-shattering legal/mediation ruling is reached
- August 2024 will come and ago just like July 2024
🤷‍♂️

Your mileage may vary because I'm the guy who was certain aTm wasn't buying out Jimbo for $79MM

Advertisement
Unpopular Take:

-- No announcements made...UNLESS some conference-shattering legal/mediation ruling is reached
🤷‍♂️

Your mileage may vary because I'm the guy who was certain aTm wasn't buying out Jimbo for $79MM

SEC Media Days is next week so..

Unpopular Take:

🤷‍♂️

The important date is August 15th. Was also just reported that on July 2nd Judge Cooper ordered a copy of the ESPN media agreement to be provided to FSU, apparently will not be made public due to judicial order. They should receive that this week. Being able to cite that document AND provide it as reference in a filing are total game changers.

Advertisement
Serious question...have you been right on one thing regarding this conference realignment talk? Not trying to start a fight but just wondering.

I've wondered the same thing. He sure does like to beat his ******* chest about how much he supposedly knows though that hasn't been made public. That's not up for debate.

I've wondered the same thing. He sure does like to beat his ******* chest about how much he supposedly knows though that hasn't been made public. That's not up for debate.

It is up for debate. Just had a nice, respectful conversation with manu via direct message, if you would like to converse, feel free.

If one wants to wait for information to be made public, that is fine, and the confidence/accuracy rate will be 100%. If one wants to find out what is starting to take shape before it happens, then conversations are good, though they will not be 100% proven-out.

If I cared so much about "beating my chest", I'd have a podcast or a Twitter feed or some other way to monetize this. However, this is my alma mater, I care about this subject because it impacts my school and my degree, not because I give a **** about what any random poster thinks about me.

If the Big 10 is able to hold the line on AAU membership (or close, and they should know how close F$U was in the last AAU consideration cycle), then the pool is:

Arizona State (Big 12)
Miami (ACC)
Notre Dame (Independent/ACC)
USF (AAC)
Utah (Big 12)
GaTech (ACC)
aTm (SEC)
Arizona (Big 12)
Pitt (ACC)
Colorado (Big 12)
Duke (ACC)
UNC (ACC)
Kansas (Big 12)
UVa (ACC)
Stanford (ACC)
Cal (ACC)

Outside of ND (obvi), USF (wild card) and aTm (they REALLY hate Texas), the pool is:

ACC: Miami, GaTech, Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVa, Stanford, Cal

and

Big 12: Arizona State, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas

This list would explain various rumblings we've heard from some of the schools on the list. I don't think that the Big 10 needs the Big 12 schools, they have already had a chance to take four of those schools (former Pac 12 schools) and passed.

Of the ACC group, two of those schools were also former Pac 12 schools that were not taken. So the real schools to look at are Miami, GaTech, Pitt, Duke, UNC, and UVa. And I'd say that Miami and UNC are in the top 2 of that list.

Now, could the Big 10 take some borderline-AAU schools from the ACC, like F$U and NC State? Possibly. But I think Clemson is a larger stretch, even Clemson acknowledges that they need a med school for serious AAU consideration.
I think FSU and VTech are close enough to AAU status they shouldn't be eliminated on academic grounds. I wouldn't say the same about Clemson however. I 100% think VTech is a better add than NCSt as well. probably add GTech above NCSt too.

I think best case scenario for B10 eventually includes ND and Miami as members. If they can get A&M would definitely be ideal for them as well, and I doubt any other SEC program really would be an option to steal. And FSU should get in regardless AAU status. Clemson is probably too far outside the Academic/AAU range to be a fit though. So like ideal for B10 imo is ND, Miami, FSU, and A&M. Let the SEC have UNC, Clemson, and whoever else they want. Maybe eventually B10 adds Stanford, VTech, TCU, GTech, or someone else if available...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can ACC refuse pending a challenge in NC Courts??
Not an attorney ... but I don't believe they can as the ACC motion to dismiss the ACC case in Leon County has already been ruled on, and the Leon County case continues and is now in the discovery phase.

I think FSU and VTech are close enough to AAU status they shouldn't be eliminated on academic grounds. I wouldn't say the same about Clemson however. I 100% think VTech is a better add than NCSt as well. probably add GTech above NCSt too.

I think best case scenario for B10 eventually includes ND and Miami as members. If they can get A&M would definitely be ideal for them as well, and I doubt any other SEC program really would be an option to steal. And FSU should get in regardless AAU status. Clemson is probably too far outside the Academic/AAU range to be a fit though. So like ideal for B10 imo is ND, Miami, FSU, and A&M. Let the SEC have UNC, Clemson, and whoever else they want. Maybe eventually B10 adds Stanford, VTech, TCU, GTech, or someone else if available...

I won't speculate on your first sentence, I would merely say that the Big 10 presidents/administrators probably know that answer better than you or I do. Perhaps VaTech is better than NC State, but GaTech is better than both.

We can express our own personal opinions about whether certain schools could/should get in without AAU membership. But the only opinion that matters is that of the Big 10 presidents, and if they are against it, we are powerless to change their minds.

Hence, my non-inclusion of non-AAU schools. If I was going to list all the candidates, I would have. But, assuming arguendo that the earlier poster's point about the Big 10 having enough votes to veto any non-AAU prospective candidate, that is why I only listed AAU schools.

It's not "academic grounds". There are many good academic schools.

It's "AAU grounds". And that is something that a school either has or doesn't have.

Advertisement
Back