MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Agreed. But then Miami's superb ability to recruit has nothing to do with the SEC's non-interest. If anything, Miami's ability to recruit is the only reason the SEC could have any interest at all.

What would be enticing to ESPN — a Miami returning its dominant form of days gone by — wouldn't be something that appeals to the SEC's member schools ... and thus not as easy sell for Sankey.

Whereas the additions of Texas and Oklahoma offered something else to the existing SEC schools — two name-brand programs (like UM) with a tradition of success but also with the largest fan bases in their respective states

Advertisement
This place is schizo. One week, Miami has had one good season in 20 years, its lost its mojo, it won't get a P2 invite. This week, Miami is tearing it up on the recruiting trail, good days are right around the corner, oh ****, everyone is afraid of Miami, they won't get a P2 invite.

Just for the record CiB: I do think we'll get a P2 invite, but it'll be the B1G and not the SEC (guessing there are a lot of posters here who feel the same)

What would be enticing to ESPN — a Miami returning its dominant form of days gone by — wouldn't be something that appeals to the SEC's member schools ... and thus not as easy sell for Sankey.

Whereas the additions of Texas and Oklahoma offered something else to the existing SEC schools — two name-brand programs (like UM) with a tradition of success but also with the largest fan bases in their respective states
I'm sorry, we're going to have to agree to disagree. All this conference realignment is due to the TV contracts each conference is able to get. It, along with bowl earnings, are the 2 main sources of income that all members of the conference partake in.

The reason why they wanted Texas and Oklahoma and their fanbases is because of the number of eyes watching TV they bring in. I will say this, I agree with you, it is a much more constant level of viewership because of their fanbases - particularly Texas. However, IF Miami is dominant again, it will be must-see TV again as well (not that they are doing that badly now all things considered).

The potential to recruit at an elite level like this is the biggest reason why Miami will never be invited (imo) to the SEC.

I've been thinking about this one a lot. It just doesn't make sense to me.

IF that's the reason the SEC is keeping us out, wouldn't it be in the B1G's best interest to do the same? What makes it a smart strategy for the SEC but not the B1G?

IF the SEC schools don't want Miami to become a super power again, I can't imagine the golden children of the B1G would want to see us rebuild the wall around south Florida either.

IF this is true about the SEC, I just have a hard time believing the B1G would want to see us to return to glory if it means watching us beating their blue bloods for recruits and titles. I can't see OSU, Penn St, Michigan or (eventually) Notre Dame shedding any tears if boogeyman Miami dies a slow death in exile.

Interesting points.

One thing, though. There is a huge difference between where the SEC stands wrt to football with 15½ National Championships in the past 26 seasons (and 19½ once they add FSU+Clemson) compared to the B1G with just 4½.

IMO, that disparity is why we see "reports" of legitimate B1G interest in two geographical and cultural misfits like FSU and Clemson. Anything that elevated Big Ten football would have the approval of FOX and friends regardless of it makes any sense in the real world.

The SEC, which is already loaded in football, may be likely to see less value in Miami - regardless of how eager ESPN might be to bring us in the mix.

Repeating myself here, but I think it's Greg Sankey (with the support of his presidents and AD's) who makes the decision on which schools the SEC pursues or doesn't pursue — and not the decision-makers at ESPN

Advertisement
Interesting points.

One thing, though. There is a huge difference between where the SEC stands wrt to football with 15½ National Championships in the past 26 seasons (and 19½ once they add FSU+Clemson) compared to the B1G with just 4½.

IMO, that disparity is why we see "reports" of legitimate B1G interest in two geographical and cultural misfits like FSU and Clemson. Anything that elevated Big Ten football would have the approval of FOX and friends regardless of it makes any sense in the real world.

The SEC, which is already loaded in football, may be likely to see less value in Miami - regardless of how eager ESPN might be to bring us in the mix.

Repeating myself here, but I think it's Greg Sankey (with the support of his presidents and AD's) who makes the decision on which schools the SEC pursues or doesn't pursue — and not the decision-makers at ESPN
The conference domination, from a natty perspective is somewhat of a myth. Hear me out.

Last 10 years:

2/10 won by ACC (2 different teams)
2/10 won by B1G (2 different teams)
6/10 won by SEC (3 different teams, essentially 2)

So, from the SEC's perspective, their Natty winners for the last 10 years have been Bama and Jawga (and 1x LSU). Like the B1G, they have very elite teams at the top and mid-meh all below it.

I think we are starting to see that realization and it is going to get very ugly next round of contracts.

Advertisement
Thread STARTED in 2022…

Last post 2021…

Hmm
1000002184.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
The early comments were that "Miami and Clemson are joined at the hip in GETTING OUT of the ACC". Getting out ... not the destination. Supposedly a collaborative effort between Rad and the Clemson AD in looking for a way out.
His posts are still in the thread. He was not the only one linking Miami and Clemson 2 years ago. Others even mentioning the idea that Rad may have been looking at options to bolt the conference prior to leaving Clemson...

When we were In the Big East was the SEC making a lot more money than the Big East? I don't if we just put Ws on the board and play for ships because of the talent we are accruing does it really matter at least for football?

When we were In the Big East was the SEC making a lot more money than the Big East? I don't if we just put Ws on the board and play for ships because of the talent we are accruing does it really matter at least for football?
The differential was minuscule compared to what it is going to be within 3-4 years:

-$50 million per year GAP in revenue (and expanding)
-BROADCAST spots for national air time will be more skewed to the P2 ... the "ACC" and B12 will be on streaming apps only and
those games will get 20% of the viewers (and revenue) of the P2.

Really need to get into the B10. Hoping FSU and Clemson end up in the SEC, and UNC is prevented from moving for several years due to NC politics. Then Miami has a shot at full share B10 relatively soon.

Advertisement
Back