Charges dropped against Mark Walton

Here is me on Walton in March 2018:

On par with Duke is a different animal than on par with a Top 10 overall pick. The only reason McCaffrey's name even came up was because pass-catching was a big part of his profile, like Duke, White and Walton. But the actual comparisons of role were always to Duke and James White.

Walton was well on his way there before getting in trouble. Projecting his four starts over 16 games, you have 912 yards from scrimmage which is an average Duke season. But of course, projection is not production so it's all a "what if."
The conversation I referenced didn't occur on the board. It's from the Canes whatsapp chat. Like I said, he just turned 23. I hope things happen and he somehow proves you right.

Advertisement
I said when he was here that his best chance in the NFL would be to catch on as a ST demon and a receiving RB. And that's exactly how it turned out. He's a super average ball carrier but brings value as a great special teamer and receiver. Crown me.

See the source image

He ran for the most yards, had the highest YPC and was the best pass-protector.

And he did this during the 1-7 start when the rest of the team was a disaster. That's why, to those watching the games and picking the players, he was clearly the top back. He would've padded his numbers more once the team got back on track.

At one point - Walton was #1 on the depth chart & Gaskin was #5. When on the field, their production was pretty much the same in small sample sizes.

1589474508534.png

Walton's YPC in his 4 starts went - 5.3 to 4.7 to 3.2 to 2.4. Got worse every game, but you'll talk about how he kept getting better.

And Walton is not the better pass blocker just because you say so. Laird, Gaskin & Ballage gave up 0 sacks last year.

Here's Walton

At one point - Walton was #1 on the depth chart & Gaskin was #5.

Correct. Now ask yourself why that was the case.

And Walton is not the better pass blocker just because you say so.

No, he is a better pass blocker because the film says so. When Walton emerged as the starter, Flores cited pass protection as a major reason.

Advertisement

No, he is a better pass blocker because the film says so. When Walton emerged as the starter, Flores cited pass protection as a major reason.

Why? Because Drake wanted out, and the Dolphins wanted Drake out. For a couple games Ballage started, then Walton, then Ballage again, then Laird. It was a revolving door of backup RB's, and Walton got a turn. Someone had to start.

Let's look at Flores & Kalen Ballage:

- At one point Kalen Ballage was #1, Walton was #3 and Gaskin was #5.
- Here's what Flores said in mid-November after a game where Ballage went 20 carries for 43 yds and 4 catches for 2 yds.
"Kalen works extremely hard. We keep giving it to him and I think it'll turn. We have a lot of confidence in him."
- True to his word, Ballage started the next 3 games and had 19 carries for 22 yds, and 6 catches for 21 yds.

Now ask yourself, why was that the case?

Is your stance that whatever Flores does/says is fact, regardless of actual on-field performance?

LOL y'all are so absurdly clueless, it's almost comical.

NFL GMs would sign OJ Simpson TODAY if they felt he could help them win. The ONLY thing that they won't touch is a Kaepernick type issue. Something causing racial/political divide...and actually, really just only things that would cause the white fans with money to take it elsewhere. NOTHING else matters.

I don't know whether or not Mark will get another shot in the NFL. What I do know, without a doubt, is that question will be answered by his talent and his talent ONLY. Not these arrest reports that no one outside of Miami even really know about.

Joe Mixon PUNCHED A WOMAN IN THE TEETH AT FULL FORCE ON VIDEO, and he's doing just fine. And it has nothing to do with "2nd chances" or anything like that. It's because he's a good football player. Period.
What this man said . Sad AF but true . People would rather have pieces of trash that cold **** woman in the face but if you are standing up for something that matters that might **** of racist white trash fans screaming "Merica! " then you fugazi to the League .

Why? Because Drake wanted out, and the Dolphins wanted Drake out. For a couple games Ballage started, then Walton, then Ballage again, then Laird. It was a revolving door of backup RB's, and Walton got a turn. Someone had to start.

Who beat out Walton once he got in the starting lineup?

Advertisement
I said when he was here that his best chance in the NFL would be to catch on as a ST demon and a receiving RB. And that's exactly how it turned out. He's a super average ball carrier but brings value as a great special teamer and receiver. Crown me.

I agree that's the role Walton had to play make it in the NFL I dispute the fact that Walton was "great" on ST or a "great" receiver.

Like - if Walton played 1.5 years & Patrick Laird plays 0.5 years - and their career stats are:

P. Laird - 23 rec - 204 yds - 8.9 YPR. 6 ST tackles
Walton - 20 rec - 130 yds - 7.5 YPR. 5 ST tackles

What makes Walton "great" at that role, but not Laird?

Who beat out Walton once he got in the starting lineup?
The same guy who beat out Walton in his 4 whole starts is the same guy who beat out Kalen Ballage in the 4 games he started after Walton left - no one. Doesn't mean Laird & Gaskin weren't just as good or better than Ballage. Or Walton for that matter.

Both Ballage & Walton techinically "beat" out Kenyan Drake for the starting role. Do you think both are better than Drake?

The Dolphins had the worst rushing game in the NFL in the last 13 years. You yourself called the Dolphins a CFL team last year. So why are you acting like getting to the top of the depth chart for 4 games is some big crowning achievement?

So why are you acting like getting to the top of the depth chart for 4 games is some big crowning achievement?

Nobody is calling it a crowning achievement. It's just another example of him outperforming your predictions.

You said he would go 6-7th round. He went 4th. You said he was an UDFA talent, despite being drafted much higher. He became a starter and was in line to get an extension. Then you said that Jordan Scarlett and Dexter Williams would be better. Both were disasters as rookies.

This is one you can't seem to let go. Walton is an NFL-quality back that kept getting chances (despite multiple arrests) because he is good. Unfortunately, he had one arrest too many. There wouldn't be a debate otherwise.

Advertisement
I agree that's the role Walton had to play make it in the NFL I dispute the fact that Walton was "great" on ST or a "great" receiver.

Like - if Walton played 1.5 years & Patrick Laird plays 0.5 years - and their career stats are:

P. Laird - 23 rec - 204 yds - 8.9 YPR. 6 ST tackles
Walton - 20 rec - 130 yds - 7.5 YPR. 5 ST tackles

What makes Walton "great" at that role, but not Laird?
I never called Walton a great receiver, but he had the potential to be a phenomenal ST'er. And I never mentioned Laird. Laird's actually a very good receiver. Always has been.

Nobody is calling it a crowning achievement. It's just another example of him outperforming your predictions.

You said he would go 6-7th round. He went 4th. You said he was an UDFA talent, despite being drafted much higher. He became a starter and was line to get an extension. Then you said that Jordan Scarlett and Dexter Williams would be better. Both were disasters as rookies.

This is one you can't seem to let go. Walton is an NFL-quality back that kept getting chances (despite multiple arrests) because he is good. Unfortunately, he had one arrest too many. There wouldn't be a debate otherwise.
Why do you keep avoiding the Ballage questions? I thought Walton was better than Ballage going into the draft. I thought both were UDFA talents. Ballage was a 4th round pick, started 6 games last year - just like Walton.

Now - If you asked me could I see either Walton or Ballage climbing to the top of the depth chart that was the worst rushing attack since 2006? I'd 100% say yes. And if you told me those 2 combined for 10 starts for the same team - I'd think it made total sense that team was the worst rushing team in 13 years.

If I say Walton is a UFA talent, then he puts up very similar numbers on the same teams as a 7th Rd & UFA (Gaskin & Laird), I'd say that proves me right.

1589485256461.webp

I still think Scarlett & Williams are better than Walton. I've continually said I could see how you'd prefer any of those 3. The funny thing has always been when people like you make it seem like it's a wide margin in Walton's favor.

And right on cue....if Scarlett & Williams were disasters as Rookies, how was Walton not?

1589485571090.webp

Why do you keep avoiding the Ballage questions?

What is there to avoid? Walton passed Ballage and didn't give up his job until he got arrested. He was clearly better and put up better numbers (twice the YPC) on the same team. He also put up better numbers and started over Gaskin and Laird.

And right on cue....if Scarlett & Williams were disasters as Rookies, how was Walton not?

1) Even with a bad rookie year, Walton played better than Williams and Scarlett.
2) He emerged in his second year, as I predicted before his rookie season.

Advertisement
I never called Walton a great receiver, but he had the potential to be a phenomenal ST'er. And I never mentioned Laird. Laird's actually a very good receiver. Always has been.

I'm not coming at you - just using an example that Walton didn't give anything more than Laird on ST's or Receiving. Walton is easily interchangeable.

IMO Walton made a big ST hit vs WVU and people crowned him a great ST player. But you'd be hard pressed to find a great ST play by Walton outside of that one play.

I'm not coming at you - just using an example that Walton didn't give anything more than Laird on ST's or Receiving. Walton is easily interchangeable.

IMO Walton made a big ST hit vs WVU and people crowned him a great ST player. But you'd be hard pressed to find a great ST play by Walton outside of that one play.
I'm not a SportsCenter highlight play guy. Walton was a great STer not for a big hit against WVU but because he has good athletic ability, toughness and relentlessness.

What is there to avoid? Walton passed Ballage and didn't give up his job until he got arrested. He was clearly better and put up better numbers (twice the YPC) on the same team. He also put up better numbers and started over Gaskin and Laird.

1) Even with a bad rookie year, Walton played better than Williams and Scarlett.
2) He emerged in his second year, as I predicted before his rookie season.

If there's nothing to avoid, then answer these questions

Let's look at Flores & Kalen Ballage:

- At one point Kalen Ballage was #1, Walton was #3 and Gaskin was #5.
- Here's what Flores said in mid-November after a game where Ballage went 20 carries for 43 yds and 4 catches for 2 yds.
"Kalen works extremely hard. We keep giving it to him and I think it'll turn. We have a lot of confidence in him."
- True to his word, Ballage started the next 3 games and had 19 carries for 22 yds, and 6 catches for 21 yds.

Is your stance that whatever Flores does/says is fact, regardless of actual on-field performance?

Both Ballage & Walton technically "beat" out Kenyan Drake for the starting role. Do you think both are better than Drake?

If Ballage was starting over Laird & Gaskin and had Flores confidence, do you think that means Ballage is without question better than them?

At one point Kalen Ballage was #1, Walton was #3 and Gaskin was #5.

Right. Then Walton actually played, outperformed the other backs and became the starter.

True to his word, Ballage started the next 3 games and had 19 carries for 22 yds, and 6 catches for 21 yds.

Because the starter, Walton, got arrested.

If Ballage was starting over Laird & Gaskin and had Flores confidence, do you think that means Ballage is without question better than them?

They were all fringe guys. Walton was a level above them, which is why he became the starter, put up better numbers and was in line for an extension.

As for Drake, he got benched because he was getting traded.

Advertisement
Back