Charges dropped against Mark Walton

Advertisement
Hope he gets another chance. He's a fringe talent who could have really carved out a niche for himself catching some passes, hanging toward the end of a team's depth chart and playing on special teams. That **** would have gotten him 5-7 years in the L. And, a better pension.

That's the main point I've always made with Walton - he's a fringe NFL talent. That's what he's always been. There's a ton of fringe NFL RB's that can duplicate what Walton does without the baggage.

That's the main point I've always made with Walton - he's a fringe NFL talent. That's what he's always been. There's a ton of fringe NFL RB's that can duplicate what Walton does without the baggage.
Being an NFL RB is a ****** journey. At whatever end of the spectrum they're on. Many of them should strongly consider becoming DBs earlier in their football careers.

That “main point” has changed every time he’s exceeded one of your predictions.

When he got in trouble, he was starting and about to be extended by a coach who loved him. Would he start for all 32 teams? Of course not. But he was right on track to meet his projection as a James White-type back who can block, catch and run.

Advertisement
Being an NFL RB is a ****** journey. At whatever end of the spectrum they're on. Many of them should strongly consider becoming DBs earlier in their football careers.

Agree with this 100%. My first thought after AJ Dillon's combine was "why aren't you playing LB?" I understand wanting to touch the ball, so RB will always be a popular position, but career wise it's not a smart choice.

When he got in trouble, he was starting and about to be extended by a coach who loved him. Would he start for all 32 teams? Of course not. But he was right on track to meet his projection as a James White-type back who can block, catch and run.

What can I say, you see what you want to see with Walton. You're always judging off what you personally project him to be, while I'm jugging off his actual production.

Besides getting drafted in the 4th when I said he'd be drafted in the 6th, what other one of my predictions did Walton exceed?

I said he was a UFA talent who would hang on for a couple years, but not make much of an impact. That's what happend.

When compared to 7th Round Myles Gaskin and UFA Patrick Laird last year, I don't see much of a difference between them and Walton. Can you explain the difference between them to me?

1589466400340.png

Yes. Walton started over them, played significantly more snaps and was clearly the favorite of the staff.

And statistically, in regards to their on-field production, what do you see as the difference?

I'm assuming because Patrick Laird started over Myles Gaskin and played significantly more snaps - you think there is a big gap between those 2 as well?

Your description is exactly how it was when Walton was with the Hurricanes. Walton started over Travis Homer, played significantly more snaps and was clearly the favorite of the staff. Did that mean Walton was clearly a better player than Homer?

Advertisement

Ah, come on, D. I imagine where this is going because he's a guy whose style you once compared to Christian Mccaffrey. Outside of catching passes, they couldn't have more different styles. I think your opinion of Walton's game has just always been too high and wishful. You'll have your view and hang on like the Tebow stuff, so we'll unlikely get anywhere, but might as well respond once:

I actually like Walton as a player. It sucks to have these convos because they come off as being "negative" on a Cane we should all support. Yet, calling him a fringe NFL back and a 5-7 year player is actually pretty good considering how expendable NFL RBs are these days. He needed a sequence of things to fall in place as a player (forget personally) and in a team situation to become a "James White-type back." There is no evidence of that sudden jump in production anywhere. Even last year, starting 4-5 games, he didn't exactly pop consistently as a runner or pass threat. By his second year, James White clearly popped as a receiver out of the backfield.

Citing Flores' love for him and a supposed extension doesn't really say much. He could have been extended as exactly a 3rd string RB/special teams contributor (fringe) would. For example, the Phins just signed a couple Special Teams-focused players who'll serve as Safety depth. Or, they could have found more value in Breida for a 5th rounder and he would have gotten lost in the shuffle. Who knows. He was a favorite of a coach during a year where the roster was packed with near replacement-level players. In part, because he's a tough football player who could do multiple things. I think his toughness, competitiveness, and flashes of catching passes could have kept him hanging on for a bit. Doesn't necessarily mean he'd get to be a significant contributor on a team with a real depth chart.

As long as there are leeches around him al talking about the NFL he'll continue to fck up. He should be in intensive therapy and get his mind right. He's still very young.

Get your mind right THEN start working on the career. Plus, he'll have a much better shot at salvaging his career if he can prove to organizations that he is actively participating in getting life straightened out.

People need to learn how to play the long game and quit trying to rush everything and cash that short check. Get right. Be a great reclamation story. Do some heartfelt interviews about how you got yourself fixed. Then, parlay that into a new start in the NFL.

I imagine where this is going because he's a guy whose style you once compared to Christian Mccaffrey.

This is fiction. The only comparison between the two was that they were exceptional pass catchers, and that receiving backs were valued more than they had been in the past (which is why McCaffrey went Top 10). And if you recall, the argument was that Walton would've been a Day 2 pick without the injury. He ended up as the 12th pick of Day 3 with the injury. Nothing "wishful" about that projection.

He needed a sequence of things to fall in place as a player (forget personally) and in a team situation to become a "James White-type back."

All he needed was a efficient passing offense. He blocked better than White, had the exact same measurables, caught the ball just as well, got drafted in the same round and was a better player in college. What did James White do better?

This is fiction. The only comparison between the two was that they were exceptional pass catchers, and that receiving backs were valued more than they had been in the past (which is why McCaffrey went Top 10). And if you recall, the argument was that Walton would've been a Day 2 pick without the injury. He ended up as the 12th pick of Day 3 with the injury. Nothing "wishful" about that projection.

All he needed was a efficient passing offense. He blocked better than White, had the exact same measurables and was a better player in college. What did James White do better?
Stop sticking up for him. He's had 8700 chances and blew them all. He needs help before he could focus on getting back to football.

Advertisement
Y'all have really strong opinions based on some ignorance here.

Go back and research the details of his arrest when he was in college, and how absolutely absurd the whole thing was. Charges ended up dropped.

Now he gets accused of violence against a pregnant woman and somehow THOSE charges are dropped too? Really... he allegedly commits an a violent act against a PREGNANT WOMAN and the charges get dropped?

There's something fishy about all of it, was from the beginning.
Once or twice, and maybe you write it up as a mistake or police over-reaching. If you get pinched as many times as he has, then it's him. Stop with all this stupid enabling. It's why he's in the jam he's in. No one gave enough of a fck about him to help get him straight unless it benefited them in some way.

Fine. I'll respond since you're basically calling me a liar. It's only fiction to you. Everyone else who was part of that conversation remembers it differently. You used Mcaffrey's name to compare their pass catching ability when that's not all that close either. So, by all means. You thought he'd be, and I quote, "a second rounder" without the injury. Basically everyone disagreed with you. I still consider that to be wishful thinking. Especially that year. Hence, I believe your opinion of him has always been too high.

All he needed was a efficient passing offense. He blocked better than White, had the exact same measurables and was a better player in college. What did James White do better?
Nah. In addition to an efficient passing game (btw, his rookie year he played on a team with an efficient passing game to RBs), Walton needed to show he could actually be productive. You know what he didn't do better than White? Show evidence on the field in the NFL within his first two years. None of the stats or what was shown match. Could it have happened later? Who knows. It's wishful thinking again.

And statistically, in regards to their on-field production, what do you see as the difference?

He ran for the most yards, had the highest YPC and was the best pass-protector.

And he did this during the 1-7 start when the rest of the team was a disaster. That's why, to those watching the games and picking the players, he was clearly the top back. He would've padded his numbers more once the team got back on track.

Advertisement
I don’t know who he compares to. But anyone saying he doesn’t have the talent to play in the league is wrong. But talent to play in the league isn’t enough for teams to forget about his repeat offenses wether charges are dropped or not. Too many options for teams. Even if he was more talented than he is the result would be the same.
If this would’ve been his first scuffle with the justice system he would’ve been back in the team after some counseling and classes and community service.

But anyone saying he doesn’t have the talent to play in the league is wrong.
Don't think anyone has said he doesn't have the talent to play in the league. On the contrary, most of us have said he'd stick around for a while. He's still only 23 (recently turned 23, too). I hope something happens for him personally and professionally. He was a good Cane.

Fine. I'll respond since you're basically calling me a liar. It's only fiction to you. Everyone else who was part of that conversation remembers it differently.

Here is me on Walton in March 2018:

I think he will be a 3rd-4th rounder and a very good all-around pro on par with Duke. We will see how it goes.

Duke is probably a better pure runner, Walton is better in the RZ and pass pro. Both are elite pass catchers at the running back position.

On par with Duke is a different animal than on par with a Top 10 overall pick. The only reason McCaffrey's name even came up was because pass-catching was a big part of his profile, like Duke, White and Walton. But the actual comparisons of role were always to Duke and James White.

Walton was well on his way there before getting in trouble. Projecting his four starts over 16 games, you have 912 yards from scrimmage which is an average Duke season. But of course, projection is not production so it's all a "what if."

Advertisement
Back