Changes to coaching staff

Advertisement
If I’m Coley, I’m likely looking around for a gig. Hitching your wagon to Jimbo in 2022 isn’t likely the best job security.
He’s got to be tired of to yoyo-ing Jimbo to Coral Gables to SEC back to Jimbo to Coral Gables?

Just goes to show how polluted the sports world is with narratives and narrative building. Gattis was the Broyles award winner and he is awful at his job. He got the award bc he was at Michigan, Michigan is a traditional football brand, and they wanted to put some juice back into the brand.

I keep saying our players are overrated af but their not talentless. Stop blaming the players. Hold the millionaire adults accountable.
Yep

Advertisement
This a real option?
1668392601428.gif

Fire Gattis and Addae and put Ponce in an off-field role.

Steal Corey Raymond from UiF

For OC
- Kingsbury when he gets fired this year.
- Dan Mullen
- Garret Riley
- Tom Herman
- Zach Kittley
- Kendal Briles

Mario can pitch an elite OL for these guys to run their O and let the OC bring in their own WR coach and off-field guy, too, if need be.
Mullen is the guy I thought of to max out Jacurri, but obviously the Riley bros and Herman have shown they can do it with all different types of QBs.

Advertisement
Everyone bringing up Mullen but I kinda like his former OC Brian Johnson as a more realistic option. Currently QB coach for eagles, has done a great job with Hurts, supposedly good recruiter as well.

Bringing Coley back as WR coach is interesting but we really need some progressive minds developing the passing concepts and route trees. Rather have a creative in young guy to be WR / pass game coordinator.
Brian Johnson is even less realistic than Mullen imo. He left a great college gig as Florida OC to be the Eagles QBC. With the success of Eagles/ Hurts success + being very highly regarded in NFL circles, dude is inline to be a NFL OC and on the fast track for a NFL HC gig.

I seriously doubt Ponce is going anywhere.

He's known Mario and Mirabal for decades. He's known Field forever too. Mario isn't booting his homeboy after one season. Not after he left an OC job to be QB coach.

With his relationships with the guys already on staff (something Gattis lacked), Ponce is more likely to be our next OC than he is to be fired.
I would hate that. But if he bring the offense that he ran as OC, at App State, then that would make me through up a little less

Advertisement
Who would the 3rd be WR coach? Ponce? I don’t feel he should be let go. The offense is anemic has nothing to do with his coaching to me and everything to do with the play caller

I have no knowledge of anything but I think it's possible that either Steele or Skrong take jobs elsewhere (not getting kicked out, as opposed to the other two). Both Steele and Skrong are LB coaches. Maybe a HC gig opens up. Hypothetically, let's say Deion takes the Nebraska or Auburn gig. Skrong could do a lot worse than take over at Jackson State. 10-0 HBCU would be a solid gig.

This is what I’d like to see done.

Offense:
Hire Mullen and let him pick his coaches.
OC/ QB - Mullen
RB - K Smith/ other (NOT Greg Knox)
WR -Billy Gonzales
TE - Field/ other
other - if Mullen wants them retained

Defense:
Get some continuity within secondary
Hire - Wesley McGriff
Was a 2 time DB coach at Auburn under Steele and has relationship with DVD

Advertisement
Agree he is gone but I do believe that some important people on that staff believe our issues fall on lack of talent and injury’s. All can be true.
and quality depth. It's obvious from an athleticism standpoint that we just don't have the horses. These coaches have gotten the most out of these players within this system and it's clearly not a natural fit. That's why it's hard to pass judgement on the coaches to some degree, because everyone is being asked to do things they're not naturally suited to do. Saban changed coaches like underwear and I wouldn't be shocked if Gattis was let go, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he got another year to show what he could do with better talent.

Advertisement
Back