CB Chris Ewald commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting, I think he’s one of the pure better CB recruits UM has got in a while. Good size, long arms, good athleticism, above average technique. He’s not one of those high school recruits you got spend 2+ years developing bc their technique coming out was poor.
His technique seems fine, just questions about his overall speed + athleticism.

After it seems like the OJ eval will be a huge hit..ill trust the staff on CB recruiting. Plus Ewald seems like one of those kids that the longer he was in the limelight..the more people nitpicked his game. I feel like hes been on radar since he was in the 10th grade. Its like the NBA prospect who stayed in school too long (Darius Rice anyone?)..the longer they stayed in college...the more people talked themselves out of him as a being a great prospect.

Advertisement
No one saw OJ coming in ready to play either - I’ll trust the evals until proven otherwise.
If you go back and read OJs commitment thread it was overwhelmingly positive. Probably because Coach Macho led the charge about how good he is and people took notice

But I get what you’re saying but the vibe around OJ was much higher than Ewald

After it seems like the OJ eval will be a huge hit..ill trust the staff on CB recruiting. Plus Ewald seems like one of those kids that the longer he was in the limelight..the more people nitpicked his game. I feel like hes been on radar since he was in the 10th grade. Its like the NBA prospect who stayed in school too long (Darius Rice anyone?)..the longer they stayed in college...the more people talked themselves out of him as a being a great prospect.
OJ does appear to be a great eval but the state of our CBs, especially considering the portal makes it easier and faster to upgrade a room, says we should be weary of the staff’s evals there.

High profile program, taking live fire from the best with the spot light on him since 9th grade. Of course there will be some low lights on tape. These use to be the CB’s we overlooked in the past and they go elsewhere to become AA’s. He’s not a finished product but there’s a lot in his toolbox that Chevis and Guidry can develop.

Advertisement
I don’t know why I thought of this kid, but for some reason this whole discussion reminds me of the Josh Sanguinetti recruitment. We convinced ourselves he was total trash and slow AF. Celebrated when staff stopped recruiting him. Now he’s a fifth year redshirt senior starting for an undefeated Indiana team having been mainstay in their starting rotation for 3 years.

I’m going to trust the coaches on their evals here.It’s pretty clear his floor is very high even if some aren’t enthusiastic about his ceiling. It’s not like they’re just taking Ewald. We’re targeting the best guys out there, and Merit and Slimeto are already in the class.

I don’t know why I thought of this kid, but for some reason this whole discussion reminds me of the Josh Sanguinetti recruitment. We convinced ourselves he was total trash and slow AF. Celebrated when staff stopped recruiting him. Now he’s a fifth year redshirt senior starting for an undefeated Indiana team having been mainstay in their starting rotation for 3 years.

I’m going to trust the coaches on their evals here.It’s pretty clear his floor is very high even if some aren’t enthusiastic about his ceiling. It’s not like they’re just taking Ewald. We’re targeting the best guys out there, and Merit and Slimeto are already in the class.
Ewald, Fitzgerald, Wallace should all be guys we RS and let cook behind the scenes. Jaboree & Stubbs will play right away. Merritt is a wild card because he's physically ready, super athletic but not sure technique will be up to par for year 1 impact. This is why it's pivotal to flip at least 1/2 Hanks or Pickett cuz we need 1 other freshman to contribute with DPJ likely leaving after this year.

Advertisement
Ewald, Fitzgerald, Wallace should all be guys we RS and let cook behind the scenes. Jaboree & Stubbs will play right away. Merritt is a wild card because he's physically ready, super athletic but not sure technique will be up to par for year 1 impact. This is why it's pivotal to flip at least 1/2 Hanks or Pickett cuz we need 1 other freshman to contribute with DPJ likely leaving after this year.
Ewald is more of the kid that comes in and plays right away and then plays less as the freaks get developed, unless he just keeps getting better and keeps them off the field.

im keeping all receipts

e2cbdaa05cd18773307c24fba589e6dd.jpg

I’m still weary about Jaboree

I think he’s capable of starting day 1 as well. Hopefully we hit the portal and make sure we don’t have to do that but him and OJ will be a great duo. Still a ways to go with him though and I’m not sure I would trade him for Pickett and some have suggested. His pure cover corner skills look elite

Advertisement
Back