Canes vs. BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Every call isn’t on him, he’s playing by a different set of rules than the rest of the Bigs we match up against.
As a former HS and college basketball official, I assure you that Omier isn't being officiated by a different set of rules. At least not in games I've seen including tonight's game, where I think Omier got away with a few more fouls than what were called on him. Far too many times he's late on establishing defensive position before making contact. Doesn't always do a good job of walling up and staying vertical. Brings his hands down and usually that's when the calls are made. And on the offensive end there were 2 instances in the 2nd half where he could've been called for illegal screens. You'll notice Larranaga rarely if ever gets on the officials about calls made against Omier. I think if Coach L had any notion that the refs were picking on him we'd see a lot more outbursts from the HC. I think it all just boils down to Omier having to do a better job of adjusting to how the refs are calling the games.

And by no means am I defending some of the poor officiating I've seen in basketball the last few years, including in the college game. As a matter of fact, I've gotten on them many times on this same message board. I'm just calling it like I see it. Omier has to do better.

Advertisement
As a former HS and college basketball official, I assure you that Omier isn't being officiated by a different set of rules. At least not in games I've seen including tonight's game, where I think Omier got away with a few more fouls than what were called on him. Far too many times he's late on establishing defensive position before making contact. Doesn't always do a good job of walling up and staying vertical. Brings his hands down and usually that's when the calls are made. And on the offensive end there were 2 instances in the 2nd half where he could've been called for illegal screens. You'll notice Larranaga rarely if ever gets on the officials about calls made against Omier. I think if Coach L had any notion that the refs were picking on him we'd see a lot more outbursts from the HC. I think it all just boils down to Omier having to do a better job of adjusting to how the refs are calling the games.

And by no means am I defending some of the poor officiating I've seen in basketball the last few years, including in the college game. As a matter of fact, I've gotten on them many times on this same message board. I'm just calling it like I see it. Omier has to do better.
So every foul he’s gotten this season has been his fault?

No questionable calls at all?

So every foul he’s gotten this season has been his fault?

No questionable calls at all?
Not saying that at all. Refs are gonna miss calls both ways, for and against him. Just saying that most of the calls are the correct ones. And believe it or not, more times than not they're going to err on his side. Meaning they're going to miss more calls than they are going to make the wrong calls on him.

At least he has stopped flailing around after not getting position... also I think refs are starting to give him a little leeway due to our record.
That might not work in the tourney, where they have f'ked us many a time.

Last edited:
Advertisement

First of all, everybody gets away with fouls that don’t get called.

In numerous games this season, Omier has gotten a disproportionate number of foul calls… especially when compared against the lack of fouls called the other way.

But don’t take my word for it - and I won’t take yours.

Jim rarely ever criticizes refs. If you heard his postgame interview a few games back, you would have to be pretty arrogant to think you see the game better than a legendary coach from the bench (and film study). He specifically explained how and why Omier gets a bad whistle.

And L took a technical tonight because of how they were officiating Omier (both what they called AGAINST him and what they didn’t call on his defender).

So… respect your experience but you’re not the guru.

At least he has stopped flailing around after not getting position... also I think refs are starting to give him a little leeway due to our record. That might not work in the tourney, where they have f'ked us many a time.

A decent percentage of the time he’s not getting position because he’s getting held. L explained that in his post-game interview a few games back.

Thank you for this. People here need to take their Canes shades off and realize Omier needs to have better self control. I didn’t watch the first half so idk if the first foul was legit or not. His second foul was dumb on him, the third was a bull**** flop. The fourth foul was the right call. He wanted to take Post’s head off. We need him going forward and this constant foul trouble doesn’t help the team.

We don’t have a capable backup now. Walker is useless, Casey is hurt, Aire is raw.

Advertisement
Thank you for this. People here need to take their Canes shades off and realize Omier needs to have better self control. I didn’t watch the first half so idk if the first foul was legit or not. His second foul was dumb on him, the third was a bull**** flop. The fourth foul was the right call. He wanted to take Post’s head off. We need him going forward and this constant foul trouble doesn’t help the team.

We don’t have a capable backup now. Walker is useless, Casey is hurt, Aire is raw.

You thought Omier’s arm swinging AFTER he got fouled and then shoved in a battle for position was properly called as a foul? Then it should have been a technical (obviously it wasn’t and shouldn’t have and wasn’t a foul but his body moving after getting shoved by Post with two arms and full extension).

You thought Omier’s arm swinging AFTER he got fouled and then shoved in a battle for position was properly called as a foul? Then it should have been a technical (obviously it wasn’t and shouldn’t have and wasn’t a foul but his body moving after getting shoved by Post).
2 of the 3 fouls I saw were fouls. I didn’t see the first foul in the first half. You are missing what I am saying.

How long is Casey out? He needs to get all the play time he can before we get to the touney. Otherwise we are over reliant on Omeir staying out of foul trouble...

Advertisement
2 of the 3 fouls I saw were fouls. I didn’t see the first foul in the first half. You are missing what I am saying.

I’m talking about his 4th foul that you said was properly called a 2 way foul. Omier was wrestled then shoved by Post (it was a real shove with extension of both arms).

First of all, everybody gets away with fouls that don’t get called.

In numerous games this season, Omier has gotten a disproportionate number of foul calls… especially when compared against the lack of fouls called the other way.

But don’t take my word for it - and I won’t take yours.

Jim rarely ever criticizes refs. If you heard his postgame interview a few games back, you would have to be pretty arrogant to think you see the game better than a legendary coach from the bench (and film study). He specifically explained how and why Omier gets a bad whistle.

And L took a technical tonight because of how they were officiating Omier (both what they called AGAINST him and what they didn’t call on his defender).

So… respect your experience but you’re not the guru.
Arrogant? Guru? LOL! Don't know how my post came across as being so, but it's whatever. No need to get personal though. Just stating my opinion. It's all subjective. Last check, we've all got the right to come on here and give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back