Canes vs. BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he has stopped flailing around after not getting position... also I think refs are starting to give him a little leeway due to our record.
That might not work in the tourney, where they have f'ked us many a time.
Don't agree with that at all! Marquette eliminated us (when we were highly favored) by raining three pointers on us, Kansas (National Champ) was simply a lot more talented and too big inside. Loyola, tbh, all I recall is we played a listless game and lost at the end. The refs were not a primary reason why we lost any of those NCAAT games.

Advertisement
Seems like some of you fail to understand that a big part of officiating basketball is game management. Knowing what to call and when to call it. Omier's 4th foul (double foul call) is a perfect example of this. Looked to me like the lead official that was on the baseline was trying to let them play thru it, but once Omier threw the forearm shiver, ref made the call on both guys after not calling the initial grab on BC's big guy.
Refs are always convenient scapegoats for any losing team. Don't care if its Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC any of the blue bloods, go to their message boards when they lose and you'll ALWAYS find that it was those biased and/or incompetent refs. Funny how that works.

I may be over simplifying this but I think it's just going to come down to time for Omier and refs to learn to "co-exist" in games. Omier needs to do a better job of adjusting his play to how games are being called. Unfortunately, not all games are going to be called the same way. Some games he'll have a crew working it that will let players play and in other games he'll have guys calling it tight. I do also think refs are getting a feel and understanding of how to call Omier. Usually, you'll see it take a season or two for guys to figure things out. For Omier's sake let's hope these ACC crews do it a lot quicker than that. However, Omier being the player it behooves him to make the adjustment as early as possible if he wants to stay in games and out of foul trouble. That being said, I do think in time refs will make their adjustment on how to officiate him and you'll see Omier more times than not getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot more calls. Kinda how Bacot, Tshiebwe, Timme, etc. weren't getting calls early in their careers but are getting them now.
How many games has Omier fouled out of this season? Maybe one iirc?

Agree to disagree on that.

You are 100% spot on.

He's like a lone gunner fighting off multiple attacks from different angles all game long. Other than him, we have no interior defense or rim protectors to speak of.

Of course he is going to pick up a bad foul or two most games. His constant help defense can't always get there on time.

Some of the arguments to the contrary make me lol.

Still not sure we have, as a team, a real "killer instinct." Our guys are skilled, play well together, and look like they're having a lot of fun out there. The game turned into a rout at the end but that 15 point halftime lead shrunk several times to 7.

A basket change here or there and we're in another close contest. That would be expected against good opponents, but, given the opponent (BC had no outside threat at all), I'd like to have seen that 15 point lead grow into the 20 point range and stay there.
Agreed. I mean we should be beating up on conference teams like that. Yes we stretched the lead out but our guys need to learn to put teams away early. Seen too much of it this year letting late leads slip away. Big one on the road Saturday.

Advertisement
Don't agree with that at all! Marquette eliminated us (when we were highly favored) by raining three pointers on us, Kansas (National Champ) was simply a lot more talented and too big inside. Loyola, tbh, all I recall is we played a listless game and lost at the end. The refs were not a primary reason why we lost any of those NCAAT games.

I agree that our whistle in the tourney has generally been pretty fair to good, however I do think we got a horrible whistle against KU. They were the better team, but the officiating down low was incredibly one-sided (the let KU bang on us and lit Sam up for ticky tack ****).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back