Cam = Best QB in UM history?

Put it this way, in another couple of year's after we win our next Natty, jumpstarting the next Canes Dynasty, his name will be the first mentioned in our next 30 for 30 and he'll be recognized as the catalyst for what started it all.

Advertisement
That would be great and hope Cam becomes the best ever QB. Got to win a NC. So far he is the most electric leading the Heisman race. A lot of great QBs and teams years ago. Time for another run starting with Cam.

Ken Dorsey went 38-2 as a starter, undefeated against FSU and won the 2001 National Championship. Got screwed over in the 2002 game and the 2000 season. Could have gone 3 NCs.

Gino Torreta was 26-1 as a starter winning the 1991 NC and winning Heisman trophy the next year losing the 1992 NC game.

Craig Erickson was went 11-1 winning the 1989 NC

Steve Walsh was 23-1 as a starter winning the 1987 NC with a undefeated team and got screwed over by a blown call the next year against ND. Miami was clearly a better team in 1988.

Vinney Testaverde had a great season 11-1 winning the 1986 Heisman Trophy and then crashing his motor scooter a week before the NC game throwing 5 interceptions losing the game. Had a bad feeling about that crash and his Heisman tour.

Bernie Kosar went 11-1 winning UMs first NC in 1983 and in 1984, he set Hurricane season records with 3,642 yards and 25 touchdowns

Jim Kelly probably was the most talented and became an important piece in Schnellenberger's effort to build the program into one of the nation's best starting UM's football tradition. Kelly had a great year in 1981 going 9-2 beating No. 1 Penn St, No. 17 Florida and No. 14 Florida St. If I can remember right, both loses is where Miami got some bad phantom calls costing them both games against ranked Texas and Miss St. UM was ranked No. 8 at the end of the year. In 1982 Kelly blew out his shoulder in the third game of the year getting tackled from behind. Could have been a really good year for him. Testaverda and Kosar were on that team as well. QBU

UM top ten QB season yards.

1 Bernie Kosar 3,642 1984
2 Brad Kaaya 3,532 2016
3 Ken Dorsey 3,369 2002
4 Craig Erickson 3,363 1990
5 Jacory Harris 3,352 2009
6 Stephen Morris 3,345 2012
7 Vinny Testaverde 3,238 1985
8 Brad Kaaya 3,238 2015
9 Brad Kaaya 3,198 2014

10 Malik Rosier 3,120 2017
Toretta lost 2 starts, not 1.

He lost at FSU in ‘89 subbing for an injured Erickson.

But yeah, way too early to say Cam is the best Cane QB ever when you look at the accomplishments of those guys. Way too early.

D’Eriq King had 50 TDs (running+throwing) at Houston. 50. Despite Manny Diaz’s woeful recruiting, King basically single handedly got UM to 8-3 in the Covid season. If that had been a regular non Covid season (with no Clemson on the schedule and 2 extra cupcakes), it’s at minimum a 10 win season and possibly an 11 win season. We didn’t get to see how he’d have done with other talented players around him. From a “college QB” perspective, he was excellent. Obviously not a NFL talent like Cam, but he was the type of college QB that gives DCs fits.

I agree its literally been 3 games vs probably the worst 3 teams on our schedule but i think he’s very clearly the best talent we have had at QB. He has to continue this level of play vs better teams and i think he will

People mentioning what teams our QBs from the past beat as if they didn’t play on our greatest teams, wins are not a QB statWe are seeing clear proof of that now because cam is doing what he has always done but he has a way better team than his last spot

View attachment 303516

Also this is what i said before he played a single down here
Facts if he went draft imo he would have been the best qb out of that group by a mile. Someone would of stolen a franchise qb

Advertisement
0% chance you've seen all these guys play, respectfully. You have two Heisman winners on that list, and Dorsey who should have at least one. Most programs would have murdered their entire English departments to have any one of those guys, and that's with you leaving off George Mira, who was ahead of his time and an All-American in his day. You're also quite casual about Kelly who is a HOF and made it four Super Bowls, more than Marino (who also never won one). It doesn't matter what these guys did in the NFL, this about their tenure as college QBs at UM-- several of them won NCs while setting and breaking each other's records. The bar is incredibly high.

I never saw George Mira. But why are we limiting it just to college? I'm looking at it as the best quarterback UM has ever produced, full body of work. We have Cam for one year. He's got a lot of football ahead of him beyond that.

I'm not ****ting on Jim Kelly. But I do think Cam Ward is better.

It amazes me how blind people are. Some people actually wanted Will Howard over this guy. Like how the **** do you watch tape of Ward at Washington State and Howard at Kansas State and come away thinking it's even a debate?

Advertisement
I don't recall any of those QBs lighting it up in their first three starts, do you? Not like Dorsey and Cam have.
Your logic is terrible. You should just settle with being impressed by Cam being spectacular. But nooooo.

Those guys tied and set TD records (which still stands) against better competition.

He's played three games for us.

Three.

He's not had a full season with us, he hasn't won the Heisman, he hasn't won the National Championship. By the way, we are only going to have him for one year.

It looks like he's a good leader, and a good player. Let's leave it at that until it is all said and done.

Advertisement
i think he's counting FAMU and ******** St as a half game each
Makes this even more impressive then.

1726682030683.png

Makes this even more impressive then.

View attachment 303671
Yes awesome epic stats , but till you put a ring on it.
That vault of BEST EVER CANES vaults has a special combination that a ring caries to enter that realm .

Cam would say the same thing, till we get a ring we remain outside looking in .

X knows this also X focus is a ring PERIOD till then X just plays.

GOCANES

Yes awesome epic stats , but till you put a ring on it.
That vault of BEST EVER CANES vaults has a special combination that a ring caries to enter that realm .

Cam would say the same thing, till we get a ring we remain outside looking in .

X knows this also X focus is a ring PERIOD till then X just plays.

GOCANES
I'm not crowning Ward, I'm correcting that other guy because that's what I do.

Now, we can talk about your grammar, punctuation, and spelling (Oxford comma FTW!), or we can go back to discussing whether we played 2 games or 3.

GO CANES!

Advertisement
Your logic is terrible. You should just settle with being impressed by Cam being spectacular. But nooooo.

Those guys tied and set TD records (which still stands) against better competition.
Individual games ANY QB can be spectacular. Well, except Kirby Freeman. We're talking FIRST THREE STARTS. Holy ****, how is it you can't understand that? First three starts, Dorsey's 1999 Canes set the record for most points in three straight games with 155. Ward's first three starts we score 159. Tell me, which QBs you mentioned did that. None of them.

Advertisement
Back