Braxton Berrios named Pre-season All-ACC PR

I'm sure they'll give some guys an opportunity in practice. If they prove they can't field punts then don't play them at PR. That said, we must've had the WORST kick/punt fielding team in practice last year because Richt kept running out Malcom Lewis to return kicks and the only memorable return he had was the one were he fielded the ball going out of bounds. So, I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is for determining who returns kicks on this team.

If the incoming guys prove to be shaky and struggle with catching punts, then by all means, keep Braxton back there. He's not bad and you don't worry about him fumbling or muffing a punt. I'm just waiting for the day when Miami return men scare the other team again.

As was just mentioned, 11th nationally in PR yards, answers your question about having the worst punt fielding team in practice.

As far as KR last year, it wasn't stellar at all. But who did we have behind Malcolm Lewis? Whoever it was, was probably not showing out in practice. Bottom line, we didn't have killer speed last year. Name someone reliable that was a threat to take it to the house last year.

Advertisement
This will likely come down to a philosophy thing. I hope we err on the side of aggression.

This was from the spring:

• Braxton Berrios likely will remain the punt returner - “he was 11th in the country, I’ll take 11th in the country,” Hartley said – but the kick return job is wide open, with Dallas, receiver Dionte Mullins and perhaps summer arrivals Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley all warranting a look.

I was totally fine with Braxton at PR last year keep him there and upgrade the KR position if anything at least keep braxton back there when we have to field the punt inside our own 20

Advertisement
Malcolm running back kicks was the real head-scratcher.

At least Berrios has shown a couple glimpses of explosiverance, but Lewis in that role was a sick joke.

Braxton is a fantastic center fielder. He gets a great jump on the ball and gets under it to make the sure handed catch like clock work. But Jeff will give coach no choice but to put him back there at least a few times a game, he's just too explosive. The good thing is that our defense should be forcing A LOT of punts this year, they both will eat.

I was totally fine with Braxton at PR last year keep him there and upgrade the KR position if anything at least keep braxton back there when we have to field the punt inside our own 20

I can agree on this. If opponents are pinned and it's a chance to put the knife in, put in a guy that's been balling out. I think Taylor probably went up to Coker and said, "I'm taking this one, Fester" and Coker was like, "great idea, glad I thought of it".

Advertisement

• Braxton Berrios likely will remain the punt returner - “he was 11th in the country, I’ll take 11th in the country,” Hartley said – but the kick return job is wide open, with Dallas, receiver Dionte Mullins and perhaps summer arrivals Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley all warranting a look.

fine by me, Berrios does have playmaking ability as a PR... Jeff Thomas will be the starter at KR / Special Teams on beast mode

Hester was a maniac on cover units in 2004. He even blocked a kick or two iirc.

Would love to see the same tenacity from Thomas if given the opportunity.

I like Braxton as a returner, BUT it comes down to what players we have that we give us better production at the position and that's where I'm not so sure about Braxton.. I for one think the Jeff Thomas or even DJ Dallas could give us better production, because both of those players have that ability to take it to the house giving the opportunity to have the ball in their hands.. Braxton is definitely a sure handed type of player, but I think we need playmakers returning the ball for us, we need someone that can get the ball in his hands and make defenders miss and get to the endzone on any giving play!!

Advertisement
How many punts are being returned for touchdowns though?

6 players returned more than one punt for a TD last season.

Berrios doesn't fumble, doesn't lose yardage, occasionally makes a big play. He's good enough imo.

If we don't have the players that are threatening to take it to the house every time they touch the ball, then this would be fine. But if Jeff Thomas can be 3/4th's of the player that HoF'er Devin Hester is, then he should take punts instead.

3/4th's of the best punt returner in the history of the game is pretty dam good.
I'm sure if there's a 3/4 Hester...or even a Roscoe, or Santana, or a K Dub (Kevin Williams) among our young studs, he'll be out there.
If not, i'm fine with Berrios.

Berrios doesn't fumble, doesn't lose yardage, occasionally makes a big play. He's good enough imo.

Al Golden mentality.

This is all we can ask for.

Advertisement
Berrios (215) actually amassed more punt return yards last year than Thomas (208) did.

I appreciate wanting Thomas back there because he's probably more likely to score, but I won't be upset if it's Berrios.

Bill James would have a field day with the merit of punt return stats. Talk about deceiving

Al Golden mentality.

Disagree.
Recklessness at the PR position can lose games.
Agree, however, that any UM team should have better than "good enough" back there at PR.

Berrios catches the ball, and that's all that matters to me. You ever hear the old saying "It's better to be safe than sorry"? Safety first. UM was built on being careful and prudent, and Berrios is the most careful option.

I'd love a more dynamic return man, but those kind of guys can't catch the ball.

Advertisement
Back