Braxton Berrios named Pre-season All-ACC PR

What's with this idea that a more explosive guy is somehow gonna be prone to muffing?

"I would rather have a secure guy back there than an explosive guy who's gonna muff punts."

WTF? LOL
It's physically impossible to both catch punts and be explosive as a return man. Study the science.

Kinda like the term "possession receiver" for slow *** dudes, as if elite athletes can't catch lol

I think the idea is that you put up with a couple of drops from the elite deep speed guys, cuz they don't need to catch every one to change the game. But the 8-yard in guys better catch every one, or they aren't even going to see the field. Further, the short-route guys will almost always have someone draped all over them, making the catch tougher.

Advertisement
Ok so I have been reading the boards for awhile now, and based on my experience I will likely doused in some hatorade because I do not have 15,000 posts but I promise I will do my best to get there as quantity seems to compensate for quality to a few posters...

Concerning the JT and BB debate, JT will get a good look at returning punts but they will likely be used in situations... Down 4 with a minute left opposing team is punting from their twenty? JT all day, we need an explosive return... up 5 with 3 minutes left opposing team punting from their own 40? Put BB back there to secure the ball and get the W. A lot of teams, college and pros use this approach and I think we will too.

Ok so I have been reading the boards for awhile now, and based on my experience I will likely doused in some hatorade because I do not have 15,000 posts but I promise I will do my best to get there as quantity seems to compensate for quality to a few posters...

Another guy who joined yesterday who has been reading the boards "for awhile now." Which banned guy is this? Canes1968? BrianPicklesmooch?

Another guy who joined yesterday who has been reading the boards "for awhile now." Which banned guy is this? Canes1968? BrianPicklesmooch?

I believe Brian's Thong is now "Tiny Dancer" or, as I know him as, "Brian's Tiny Thong".

Actually joined today, but thanks for the welcome! Never previously registered and to define "a while" for you, it would date back to my undergrad time at the U.

I will attempt to be as insightful and informative as you are, I know you have been on the boards for approximately 5 years (well actually 4 years, 9 months and 23 days) and have over 28,275 posts so I promise moving forward I will try to average at least 24 posts a day so in 4 years 9 months and 23 days I will be just as well respected as you... we all can dream can't we?

Advertisement
Actually joined today, but thanks for the welcome! Never previously registered and to define "a while" for you, it would date back to my undergrad time at the U.

I will attempt to be as insightful and informative as you are, I know you have been on the boards for approximately 5 years (well actually 4 years, 9 months and 23 days) and have over 28,275 posts so I promise moving forward I will try to average at least 24 posts a day so in 4 years 9 months and 23 days I will be just as well respected as you... we all can dream can't we?

:jordan:

I think a risk/reward analysis needs to go into this. Let's be real, we didn't have a gamebreaker on the roster last year. I get that this is Miami, but you can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****. The next viable option if we don't have a gamebreaker that is reliable enough is to put someone back there who is extremely reliable. I have to believe that Jeff Thomas will be our returner if he proves to be reliable enough. There's just too much to be lost if you don't use a talented returner. I like that we have an ultra reliable guy like Berrios. He's there to fall back on if all else fails. Sometimes all we need is a fair catch. He can play in those scenarios.

Agree with this. I think we're finally getting to the point where we have guys with ability who we don't presently need as starters. I'm not saying you can't have a starter returning K/P, but I think it should be avoided. Corn, Coley, and Duke come to mind as guys who were good returners but got yanked because they were too valuable to lose, or to have gassed. Hopefully a guy like Thomas can be useful on ST without hurting the offense.

I think a risk/reward analysis needs to go into this. Let's be real, we didn't have a gamebreaker on the roster last year. I get that this is Miami, but you can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****. The next viable option if we don't have a gamebreaker that is reliable enough is to put someone back there who is extremely reliable. I have to believe that Jeff Thomas will be our returner if he proves to be reliable enough. There's just too much to be lost if you don't use a talented returner. I like that we have an ultra reliable guy like Berrios. He's there to fall back on if all else fails. Sometimes all we need is a fair catch. He can play in those scenarios.

Quote from Thomas Brown
Young Miami Hurricanes Travis Homer, Jeff Thomas turning heads on offense | Canes Watch
Brown said he (Jeff Thomas) looks like a potential threat in the vertical and horizontal pass game, and is “a natural receiver” fielding punts.

Let's see if they pull the trigger and give him an opportunity.

Last edited:

Quote from Thomas Brown
Young Miami Hurricanes Travis Homer, Jeff Thomas turning heads on offense | Canes Watch
Brown said he (Jeff Thomas) looks like a potential threat in the vertical and horizontal pass game, and is “a natural receiver” fielding punts.

Let's see if they pull the trigger and give him an opportunity.

Brown also mentioned ball security needs to improve too.
But yes, he is already impressing early on.

Advertisement
Wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas get a couple cracks at punt returner in the first two games. Pretty sure Berrios will start the season as the main punt returner but I'm not sure he'll finish the season there.

I might be solo in this camp, but I'm not as concerned about punt return as I am KO return. God love Malcolm Lewis, but he was not a threat last year. With the limited amount of return chances you get on KO now with all the touch backs, we need to find someone that can set the tone/respond after a score or at the beginning of a half.

I might be solo in this camp, but I'm not as concerned about punt return as I am KO return. God love Malcolm Lewis, but he was not a threat last year. With the limited amount of return chances you get on KO now with all the touch backs, we need to find someone that can set the tone/respond after a score or at the beginning of a half.

Thomas will be doing both PR and KR.

Hth

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back