Braxton Berrios named Pre-season All-ACC PR

Part of me just wants to see white guy house it for the U...but after watching those punt returns from the past... we definitely need some more explosiveness back there on the other hand I really want to see Berrios succeed

Advertisement
With few exceptions normally don't put your #1 receiver back there and they weren't going to risk Corn with our CB situation.. 11th rank nationally means it wasn't a bad choice. I'm still not getting the constant bītching about this.

And Doritos had the 18th ranked defense one year. Quoting a stat to prove a point isn't always a great answer.

Part of me just wants to see white guy house it for the U...but after watching those punt returns from the past... we definitely need some more explosiveness back there on the other hand I really want to see Berrios succeed

Berrios has already succeeded. He got a tremendous education for free, has made a couple plays here and there, and has been a credit to my alma mater.

Miami has been known for dangerous return men for decades. When a Hurricane return man catches the ball, the opposing team should be crapping their pants. Nobody fears Berrios. They never pooch kick it or kick it out of bounds because they're not scared of him. The only balls he doesn't fair catch are when he has at least 15 yards of space, thus the good average.

And can we please stop with the assumption that because a guy is a game breaker, he somehow can't field punts cleanly? Why do people assume that Jeff Thomas or Mike Harley or anybody else can't handle fielding the ball?

Playing it safe and being "good enough" is some Al Golden ****. This is Miami. Our guys are game breakers.

THIS

Not a single person on the field or in the stands fears Braxton Berrios. A HC should be biting his nails as he punts or Kicks off to Miami

and do not even get me started on the FSU return... as soon as he got tripped by a punter being blocked to the floor I knew something wasn't right

Berrios if they're punting past the 20. If they are punting inside the 20, put in the goon that is the most amped up.

Advertisement
WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.25.13 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.25.38 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.26.06 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.26.17 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 1.26.24 PM.webp

Regardless of getting tackled he still made big plays that kept us in the game against Washington St. and FSU.

Had a big TD catch against VT, another long one against Duke. Made several plays against WVU.

With few exceptions normally don't put your #1 receiver back there and they weren't going to risk Corn with our CB situation.. 11th rank nationally means it wasn't a bad choice. I'm still not getting the constant bītching about this.

And Doritos had the 18th ranked defense one year. Quoting a stat to prove a point isn't always a great answer.

Statistically, Brad Kaaya is Miami's all time greatest quarterback.

Advertisement
What's with this idea that a more explosive guy is somehow gonna be prone to muffing?

"I would rather have a secure guy back there than an explosive guy who's gonna muff punts."

WTF? LOL

LOL - Travis Benjamin

Berries is about the same or slightly better stats.

Who would you have had last year returning punts?

You actually think Berrios is on Benjamin's level? (a guy who's housing punts in the NFL)

I didn't say that.

You made the comparison.

Bad comparison.

Benji was a lesser punt returner in college.

College is the only comparison that's valid.

Benji had plenty of opportunities in college and housed one.

You can say he underperformed, because he's actually faster. Significantly.

What's with this idea that a more explosive guy is somehow gonna be prone to muffing?

"I would rather have a secure guy back there than an explosive guy who's gonna muff punts."

WTF? LOL
It's physically impossible to both catch punts and be explosive as a return man. Study the science.

WTF? LOL
It's physically impossible to both catch punts and be explosive as a return man. Study the science.

Kinda like the term "possession receiver" for slow *** dudes, as if elite athletes can't catch lol

Advertisement
X
LOL - Travis Benjamin

Berries is about the same or slightly better stats.

Who would you have had last year returning punts?

Don't bother. Securing the **** football and having a good yds/return isn't going to play with people here. They'd rather a guy who averages -3yds/return, but houses 3 next year.

Seriously, I want a guy who's a threat too, but nobody seems able to appreciate the value of reliably helping our field position while not turning the ball over.

The one thing that seems to be missing is the name of this stellar punt returner from last year that beat out Berrios. Nada.

New year, new opportunities.

You aren't lying though, many in our fanbase would likely trade numerous turnovers and big losses in the return game for just a few highlight returns on the season. Hilarious, but we are all guilty to one degree or another of speed worshipping.

UM

I think a risk/reward analysis needs to go into this. Let's be real, we didn't have a gamebreaker on the roster last year. I get that this is Miami, but you can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****. The next viable option if we don't have a gamebreaker that is reliable enough is to put someone back there who is extremely reliable. I have to believe that Jeff Thomas will be our returner if he proves to be reliable enough. There's just too much to be lost if you don't use a talented returner. I like that we have an ultra reliable guy like Berrios. He's there to fall back on if all else fails. Sometimes all we need is a fair catch. He can play in those scenarios.

Guy asked me who'd I rather have back there (from last year's roster) and I legitimately have no answer. Fvck!

I stand down.

Advertisement
It will be interesting to see this year, because I'd like to see Harley and Thomas worked in, assuming they can handle it.

All I know is Thomas, Harley, Dallas, or Dean won't get tackled by the fking punter......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back