Braxton Berrios named Pre-season All-ACC PR

Advertisement
Fair catching all the punts might not win you a game but a guy that can house 1 or 2 punts a year but fumbles several times putting your defense in a bad place can **** sure lose you a few.

Want to see JT and maybe Harley on KR but to me Berrios is the perfect PR...catches everything,doesn't fumble and occasionally makes a big play.

There are few things more demoralizing to a defense than forcing a punt, walking over to the bench to catch your breath and enjoy a job well done, and then watching your punter returner muff a punt, forcing you back into the game to defend a short field.

If you say you'd rather see someone else back there, someone more explosive/dangerous, I feel you.

If you say Berrios sucks or is terrible as a PR then you're wrong.

Fact.

Nothing wrong with having a reliable guy back there that doesn't turn the ball over and gets decent yards in the return with the occasional threat to house it. If JT or somebody else shows out and takes the job, I'm all for it...otherwise, I'll take steady.

UM

People don't like barrios cause he isn't nflashy and yes that includes me. Fact of the matter is he's not that bad. Being a Miami fan you're just used to Hester, Williams, moss, Parrish etc. Berrios isn't on that level but he isn't trash cause he hasn't made a huge mistake yet at least. I'll deal with him until we get someone who is better and shows it on the field. Thomas maybe...I don't see harley being that guy

Advertisement
Fair catching all the punts might not win you a game but a guy that can house 1 or 2 punts a year but fumbles several times putting your defense in a bad place can **** sure lose you a few.

Want to see JT and maybe Harley on KR but to me Berrios is the perfect PR...catches everything,doesn't fumble and occasionally makes a big play.

Good to know we have the same mentality as Purdue fans now. We should load up on possession receivers too. They won't make the big play but hey, they won't drop anything

Y'all be actin like berrios didn't have an awesome return (that shoulda been a TD) in the most important game of the season vs FSU. Yeah, all he does is fair catch....right

1. Statistics can be a good tool for evaluating previous performance, but do not account for all factors.
EX: In 2013 Jay Cutler had the 3rd highest QBR of all quarterbacks in the league ahead of both Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. What does this data tell us? Not a da_MN thing.

2. The words CONSERVATIVE, RELIABLE, AND CAUTIOUS should never be the first words used to describe anything related to Miami football. We will win and lose titles by playing aggressive football. We will only lose if we use the 3 adjectives above in bold.

3. A good punt returner needs to have the "WOW" factor. I can't say I have ever been shocked or amazed at any play BB has made in his 3 years here. However, I can remember seeing him fair catch many balls that could have been big returns or even 5/10 yard gains. Is there a statistic for fair-catching the ball when no one is around? I bet BB led the NCAA in that last year.

4. Freshman play on Special Teams. They win games against big rivals. This not playing a Freshman because he is a Freshman at Doak is what will lose you the game.

Rant over, play Special Teams like we played Defense last year pu sssies!!!!

Last edited:
Berrios will be the punt returner next season. Hartley has already said as much.

Should have been Elder in '16 but they wanted him to focus on playing CB.

This year people will clamor for Thomas but he's a true freshman who'll be counted on heavily on offense.

Deal with it.

Advertisement
Give me the guy who catches the ball and doesn't let it bounce and roll 2-3 times a game losing us 50-60 yards in field position.

The hidden yardage lost because a PR guy doesn't want to catch in traffic can and does make a huge difference between Ls and Ws.

With nine preseason All-ACC selections, the Hurricanes ranked fifth on Athlon’s list behind Clemson, FSU and Virginia Tech (12 each) and Pittsburgh (10). Duke also had nine.

******* Athlon. Tied with Duke and behind Pitt and VT. What a ******* joke.

Miami has been known for dangerous return men for decades. When a Hurricane return man catches the ball, the opposing team should be crapping their pants. Nobody fears Berrios. They never pooch kick it or kick it out of bounds because they're not scared of him. The only balls he doesn't fair catch are when he has at least 15 yards of space, thus the good average.

And can we please stop with the assumption that because a guy is a game breaker, he somehow can't field punts cleanly? Why do people assume that Jeff Thomas or Mike Harley or anybody else can't handle fielding the ball?

Playing it safe and being "good enough" is some Al Golden ****. This is Miami. Our guys are game breakers.

Advertisement
If you say you'd rather see someone else back there, someone more explosive/dangerous, I feel you.

If you say Berrios sucks or is terrible as a PR then you're wrong.

If you say that Berrios sucks as a PR and a WR, then you're right

Details details.

BB is pretty much the conservative sure thing not to fumble and get you a few yards but he aint gona take it to the house or change the momentum of a game
Gimme JT$

Except he basically put us in position to tie the fsu game until we missed an extra point. Look he's not great but he's isnt god awful. Doesn't have the explosion but isn't as slow as everyone thinks. And rarely makes a mistake. Not ideal not bad.

W
Miami has been known for dangerous return men for decades. When a Hurricane return man catches the ball, the opposing team should be crapping their pants. Nobody fears Berrios. They never pooch kick it or kick it out of bounds because they're not scared of him. The only balls he doesn't fair catch are when he has at least 15 yards of space, thus the good average.

And can we please stop with the assumption that because a guy is a game breaker, he somehow can't field punts cleanly? Why do people assume that Jeff Thomas or Mike Harley or anybody else can't handle fielding the ball?

Playing it safe and being "good enough" is some Al Golden ****. This is Miami. Our guys are game breakers.

What is so hard about this concept?

Berrios got the gig because NOBODY proved more reliable or productive in the role on the squad. Now we have a burner from St. Louis who hasn't touched a football in college...and because we have had electric returners in the past...we should anoint the kid and kick the proven guy to the curb? Again...here's hoping Thomas is Moss or Hester from day 1...if that lottery doesn't hit, Berrios is probably even a better option with additional experience.

Thank God Hartley lives outside of an Playstation.

UM

Advertisement

A lot of this is determined in practice by things the average fan doesn't see.

You can be sure of one thing, everybody gets a shot catching punts in practice and the special teams coaches pay attention. If you're dropping them or otherwise fūcking up in practice more than the other guy, the other guy will be catching the punts in real games. Why? Fumbled punts can change the momentum of a game in a heartbeat, and coaches aren't going to risk putting a guy back there that has a tendency to lose focus and get butter fingered.

11th in the nation in punt return yardage should be reason enough to keep him back there.

We're already bound to have some turnovers with a freshman QB. Our coaches crave reliability.

Deal with it.

A lot of this is determined in practice by things the average fan doesn't see.

You can be sure of one thing, everybody gets a shot catching punts in practice and the special teams coaches pay attention. If you're dropping them or otherwise fūcking up in practice more than the other guy, the other guy will be catching the punts in real games. Why? Fumbled punts can change the momentum of a game in a heartbeat, and coaches aren't going to risk putting a guy back there that has a tendency to lose focus and get butter fingered.

I'm sure they'll give some guys an opportunity in practice. If they prove they can't field punts then don't play them at PR. That said, we must've had the WORST kick/punt fielding team in practice last year because Richt kept running out Malcom Lewis to return kicks and the only memorable return he had was the one were he fielded the ball going out of bounds. So, I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is for determining who returns kicks on this team.

If the incoming guys prove to be shaky and struggle with catching punts, then by all means, keep Braxton back there. He's not bad and you don't worry about him fumbling or muffing a punt. I'm just waiting for the day when Miami return men scare the other team again.

Advertisement
Back