Braxton Berrios named Pre-season All-ACC PR

Berrios is very solid sometimes I wish he was more aggressive but certainly is safe and sure handed on punts Jeff Thomas should be returning kicks how ever

Advertisement
Athlon gave us 5 on the first team all ACC, including Walton, Herndon and Richards. More generous than most publication

No...they gave us 3, and 2 for special teams. Disrespected our defense by placing exactly 0 on the first team defense.

Hi guys, just in case ya'll forgot who we are...

[video=youtube;eKlsiSwmSEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlsiSwmSEo[/video]

LOL at not dropping the punt being "good enough"

How many punts are being returned for touchdowns though?

6 players returned more than one punt for a TD last season.

Berrios doesn't fumble, doesn't lose yardage, occasionally makes a big play. He's good enough imo.

If we don't have the players that are threatening to take it to the house every time they touch the ball, then this would be fine. But if Jeff Thomas can be 3/4th's of the player that HoF'er Devin Hester is, then he should take punts instead.

Canes fans say that every year.

You want to hear a fun stat. There literally isn't a single NFL player in the world who is 3/4 of what Hester is.

NFL ALL TIME SPECIAL TEAMS RECORD

First place.
Devin Hester 20 TD's.

Second Place.
Brian Mitchell 14TD's

Advertisement

We should definitely be trotting out a true freshmen summer enrollee Jeff Thomas on punt return week 3 in Doak Stadium during his first away rivalry game when we have the 12th best returner on the bench. What could go wrong?

If Jeff Thomas is reliable, no doubt he is the guy...

That being said I will always have respect to BB for that Punt Return at FSU that set up the potential tying score... we all know what happened next but that was a huge play on the biggest stage (even if he did get tripped up by his shoe lace).

Berrios doesn't fumble, doesn't lose yardage, occasionally makes a big play. He's good enough imo.

If we don't have the players that are threatening to take it to the house every time they touch the ball, then this would be fine. But if Jeff Thomas can be 3/4th's of the player that HoF'er Devin Hester is, then he should take punts instead.

You want to hear a fun stat. There literally isn't a single NFL player in the world who is 3/4 of what Hester is.

First place.
Devin Hester 20 TD's.

Second Place.
Brian Mitchell 14TD's

I meant as a college special teams returner. Having a knack for making a huge return at the biggest moments possible.

We all know how great Hester is, but don't use stats to make a case of how great he is. Because with that benchmark...

Duke Johnson owns the Miami Record for KR yards on a Career. He averaged 34.4 Yards per KR on 41 returns, while Hester averaged 25.4 (almost a full 10 yards less) on 40 returns.

We should definitely be trotting out a true freshmen summer enrollee Jeff Thomas on punt return week 3 in Doak Stadium during his first away rivalry game when we have the 12th best returner on the bench. What could go wrong?

As a freshman in just his second game for the Hurricanes, against rival Florida, Hester took the opening kickoff 98 yards to the house. He finished his college career ('03-05) averaging 25.5 yards per kickoff return and 15.6 per punt return, with six return touchdowns.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ctrifying-kick-returners-of-the-last-25-years

Say again? If we want Jeff Thomas to be the next Hester, instead of saying "it won't happen", lets give him a chance to prove himself.

Advertisement

First place.
Devin Hester 20 TD's.

Second Place.
Brian Mitchell 14TD's

I meant as a college special teams returner. Having a knack for making a huge return at the biggest moments possible.

We all know how great Hester is, but don't use stats to make a case of how great he is. Because with that benchmark...

Duke Johnson owns the Miami Record for KR yards on a Career. He averaged 34.4 Yards per KR on 41 returns, while Hester averaged 25.4 (almost a full 10 yards less) on 40 returns.

I miss Duke Johnson

BB is a fair catching BEAST.

I love watching that dude fair catch. It's as poetic and majestic as a Vince Carter dunk

As a fan of Miami football a refuse to be satisfied with a punt returner that doesn't **** **** up. Save that for Wisconsin. Coaches should always fear kicking it to us

First place.
Devin Hester 20 TD's.

Second Place.
Brian Mitchell 14TD's

I'm all for Jeff Thomas stealing some punt reps this year when the situation dictates it , but week 3 in Doak Stadium i'm riding with Berrios.

It's a shame Duke didn't get more of a shot on special teams but he did get banged up quite a bit early in his career.

Advertisement
Lol can't wait for that first fumble by someone not name Braxton in an important game and the crowd comes back " man I knew Berrios shoulda been back there"

It was sarcasm on the heavy South Florida bias on this board. Did you know that a 4.41 forty in South Florida is actually faster than a 4.41 forty in North Carolina?

Honestly, Berrios is solid as ****, but he ain't a freak and hasn't changed a game from that spot. However, he hasn't lost a game either. With our defense, we can be a little bit conservative in this aspect of the game against FSU and like teams, and we can break in Jeff/others in the scrub games. JT/other can run the show in 2018.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have a Miami guy getting accolades & people ing? Last I checked Braxton has that U on the side of his helmet. That's enough for me. Good for you kid.

It was sarcasm on the heavy South Florida bias on this board. Did you know that a 4.41 forty in South Florida is actually faster than a 4.41 forty in North Carolina?

Honestly, Berrios is solid as ****, but he ain't a freak and hasn't changed a game from that spot. However, he hasn't lost a game either. With our defense, we can be a little bit conservative in this aspect of the game against FSU and like teams, and we can break in Jeff/others in the scrub games. JT/other can run the show in 2018.

If we are being technical, Marines that train on the West Coast usually end up running slower times when they PT on the East Coast, while it's vice versa for East Coast personnel when running on the west coast (faster times). So yes, it's possible that a 4.41 in South Florida is faster than a 4.41 forty in North Carolina.

DJ Johnson could be a part time punt returner in addition to his part time running back duties

Fair catching all the punts might not win you a game but a guy that can house 1 or 2 punts a year but fumbles several times putting your defense in a bad place can **** sure lose you a few.

Want to see JT and maybe Harley on KR but to me Berrios is the perfect PR...catches everything,doesn't fumble and occasionally makes a big play.

Advertisement
Back