Bracketology (updated 2/29)

We're about to get ****ed with seeding again

Even if we win out

I like this comparison.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Team Comparison - CBSSports.com

We have a better RPI, SOS and have beaten a team they lost to in Nebraska (they lost at home, we won on the road).

We have a better record against the top 50 RPI and top 100 RPI. MSU has a better record against teams with a RPI 101 or above.

MSU has played 1 more game and has 1 more win. MSU has played 7 games against teams above RPI 201 and we have played 4.

We're 1st in conference, they're 3rd in conference.

Advertisement
How important is seeding (not making a statement, just wondering)? Of course, it has some bearing, but to go all the way (my hope), you still need to defeat all comers anyway. A [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] seed has a somewhat easier path than a #3 or #4 , but still....

A #1 seeding is HUGE, especially in a year like this with almost unprecedented levels or parity. There are a lot of very dangerous mid seeds that we could avoid with a #1 seeding.

How important is seeding (not making a statement, just wondering)? Of course, it has some bearing, but to go all the way (my hope), you still need to defeat all comers anyway. A [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1][URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] [/URL] seed has a somewhat easier path than a [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] or [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 [/URL] , but still....

A [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] seeding is HUGE, especially in a year like this with almost unprecedented levels or parity. There are a lot of very dangerous mid seeds that we could avoid with a [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] seeding.

I think that in the dance (I may be wrong), a #1 plays a #16 in the first round and the winner of the game between the #8 and #9 in the second round, while a #3 plays a #14 in the first round and the winner of the game between the #6 and #11 in the second round. None of those opponents (for either the #1 or #3 seed) would have been among the top twenty seeds for the tournament as a whole. Of course, the #1's opponents here will probably be a bit easier than the #3's, but the difference doesn't seem HUGE yet. In fact, if the #11 upsets the #6 , the #3's draw could wind up being easier.

OK, let's say that the first two rounds go totally according to form, with the higher seed winning every game, so that seeds 1-4 all make it to the sweet sixteen. #1 would play #4 , and #2 would play #3 . This might be where #1's advantage over #3 is the greatest - better to face a #4 seed than a #2 . In either case, to reach the final four, we would have to come out on top of our entire quarter of the field. I agree, as, in fact, I did originally, that a #1 seed has some advantage. I'm still not sure how much.

Last edited:
My conversation with Gary Parrish

@doctordub20 2h2 hours ago
@GaryParrishCBS please explain Miami 9 spots behind UVA? Behind Utah, a team it beat by 20+ and Duke a team it beat by 11?

@GaryParrishCBS
@doctordub20 Miami has also lost to NC State by 16 and to Clemson by 11. And to Northeastern at home. The losses count too

@doctordub20 41m41 minutes ago
@GaryParrishCBS that's true, but I could easily flip it around and show all the "bad" losses by the teams ahead of Miami.

@doctordub20
@GaryParrishCBS miami has a better record, a better ACC record, is in first in the ACC, has an rpi of 7, etc. it's absurd to have them 12.

@GaryParrishCBS 38m38 minutes ago
@doctordub20 Again, there’s a smart way to argue for Miami. But you’re choosing the dumb way. The really, really dumb way.

‏@doctordub20 36m36 minutes ago
@GaryParrishCBS how so? Facts?

@doctordub20 37m37 minutes ago
@GaryParrishCBS I'm used to it. As long as their name is Miami and not Duke or ____, they're not getting the benefit of the doubt.

@GaryParrishCBS 35m35 minutes ago
@doctordub20 I’ll explain it in great detail on the podcast we record tonight. I’ll even mention you by name to ensure you don’t miss it.

Advertisement

@GaryParrishCBS please explain Miami 9 spots behind UVA? Behind Utah, a team it beat by 20+ and Duke a team it beat by 11?

@GaryParrishCBS
@doctordub20 Miami has also lost to NC State by 16 and to Clemson by 11. And to Northeastern at home. The losses count too

I would love to hear any rational justification for Utah being ranked over Miami.

I will even throw out the obvious 20+ win on a neutral court.

I don't usually get into speculating about rankings, but it looks to me as if we will pass Mary, Louis, Zona, and Io and move up to #8.

Next-day edit: We might move up to #7 if they put us ahead of Xavier.

Last edited:

@GaryParrishCBS

I would love to hear any rational justification for Utah being ranked over Miami.

I will even throw out the obvious 20+ win on a neutral court.

I can't wait to listen to his podcast and hear him put me in my place by name.

@GaryParrishCBS

@GaryParrishCBS that's true, but I could easily flip it around and show all the "bad" losses by the teams ahead of Miami.

@doctordub20
@GaryParrishCBS miami has a better record, a better ACC record, is in first in the ACC, has an rpi of 7, etc. it's absurd to have them 12.

@doctordub20 Again, there’s a smart way to argue for Miami. But you’re choosing the dumb way. The really, really dumb way.

@GaryParrishCBS I'm used to it. As long as their name is Miami and not Duke or ____, they're not getting the benefit of the doubt.

@doctordub20 I’ll explain it in great detail on the podcast we record tonight. I’ll even mention you by name to ensure you don’t miss it.

those 3 losses are really bad but we should be ahead of duke and Utah.

Advertisement

@GaryParrishCBS

@doctordub20

Everyone has bad losses.

UVA lost to George Washington, who is in 5th place in the A-10. UVA lost to VT who is 10th in the ACC. UVA lost to GT who is 11th in the ACC. UVA lost to FSU who is 12th in the ACC.

Duke also lost to Clemson, so that's a wash.

Utah lost to Stanford, 8th in the Pac-12. Utah lost to Oregon State, 9th in the Pac-12.

Everyone has bad losses.

UVA lost to George Washington, who is in 5th place in the A-10. UVA lost to VT who is 10th in the ACC. UVA lost to GT who is 11th in the ACC. UVA lost to FSU who is 12th in the ACC.

Utah lost to Stanford, 8th in the Pac-12. Utah lost to Oregon State, 9th in the Pac-12.

Correct. There is no argument supporting Duke or Utah over Miami besides potato syndrome.

Advertisement
Fortunately for us, no one else seems to see things the way Gary Parrish does - not even close. A link to his rankings was given earlier on this thread, so I will not repeat it. If you look at them, you can see that his ratings are very different from most peoples'. Of course, that difference is one of their selling points. I think that we will be slotted very close to #8 in the next week's AP rankings.

Last edited:
Advertisement

@GaryParrishCBS

@doctordub20

Everyone has bad losses.

The loss to Northeastern was bad. But why are we still talking about November games? In February, we've beaten Duke, Virginia, and Louisville and sit with a better overall record than teams in front of us

@GaryParrishCBS

@doctordub20

Everyone has bad losses.

The loss to Northeastern was bad. But why are we still talking about November games? In February, we've beaten Duke, Virginia, and Louisville and sit with a better overall record than teams in front of us

So was Michigan State's home loss to Nebraska. So was Kansas' loss to 3-13 Okie State. So was Xavier loss to sub-.500 Georgetown. So was Oklahoma's loss to 4-12 Kansas State. So was Oregon State's loss to Boise State, the 3rd place team in the Mountain West, and Oregon's loss to UNLV, who is under .500 in the Mountain West, and their loss to Stanford, who is 9th in the Pac-12.

@GaryParrishCBS

@doctordub20

This is complete insanity. First, you were completely respectful in your tweets and merely looking for an explanation, and he (apparently a respected journalist) responds with the "You're wrong -- I know better than you" approach?!?! Honestly, if you want to pretend that you are a journalist, then at least act like a professional.

But, here is insane part. Utah moved up from 19 to 9 in two days -- if this guy's mind, they were #19 on Friday morning. Meanwhile, we stayed at 12. Yes, Utah had a nice win on Saturday at home against Arizona (his #23 team), and Arizona stayed at #23 . When we beat his #7 Louisville at home, they drop 6 spots to 13, but we exactly where we were. Try to figure out that logic. In one case, the winner vaults up 10, while the loser remains put. In the other, the loses falls 7, but the winner remains put.

However, his points about Miami having bad losses should have already been baked into our #12 ranking on Friday. So should have Utah's prior wins and losses (including to us). So, the results on Saturday should be the ONLY relevant factors in the ranking changes. Unless, of course, Parrish is admitting that his prior rankings of Utah (and Louisville) were wrong/off. In which case, why give any credence into what Parrish is saying, because he is just making guesses that don't appear to be based on anything, except his worthless thoughts of the day.

Advertisement
Back