Are you cool if Dorsey is OC?

Are you cool if Dorsey is OC?

• Total voters
Yeah, I just don't love the idea of a first-time guy no matter who he is.

Ask yourself this: if he were somebody else who'd never played for Miami with the exact same resume, would you support hiring him?
For me that's a hard no, and I don't think we should give anyone jobs because they used to be on the team.
Why do they have to have previous playcalling experience. Teams take position coaches from the NFL all the time and make them coordinators. If someone gets glowing reviews from NFL coaches and they say someone is ready for the next step....they know. Particularly when its not just coming from people on their own team only. If the person is coming from college, yes i want previous experience at what they are coming to do. NFL i see it differently.

Advertisement
I mean, take the name out of it and this thread is an echo chamber of “NOs”. The only reason I’m 50/50 is because it’s Dorsey. Otherwise, throw play calling out of it, he has zero experience at the college level at all. I know the prevailing attitude is “if a guy can do it in the NFL, he can easily do it in college” but if you honestly believe that it’s the same game and there’s not huge differences in pro and college offenses, you’re not watching the games. The one thing that would give me hope is that Brian Daboll has really altered the Buffalo offense to take advantage of what Josh Allen does best and it really incorporates a ton of college concepts. Hopefully Dorsey would be able to use that to translate to the college game.

No more question marks. We need proven winners here. He never called plays before. If he is a co coordinator in training then ok. But it's a no for me.

I understand why people would be skeptical of someone who has never called play’s before but seriously do u guys think he’s just been on vacation in the league this whole time? After OC its the QB coach in most cases so im sure he has input on the gameplans ,play scripts, and ways to attack different coverages week by week

Them giving him another tag as PGC means they want to keep him around Josh allen. So he most likely gets promoted to oc in buffalo or goes somewhere else with Daboll if he doesn’t want to call the plays as a new hc

No way should Ken be the OC! Mario needs to find a proven OC and pray TVD doesn’t go backwards in his progression. We haven’t this level of QB play since the 80’s. This OC pick has to be a home run or triple!

Advertisement
I mean, take the name out of it and this thread is an echo chamber of “NOs”. The only reason I’m 50/50 is because it’s Dorsey. Otherwise, throw play calling out of it, he has zero experience at the college level at all. I know the prevailing attitude is “if a guy can do it in the NFL, he can easily do it in college” but if you honestly believe that it’s the same game and there’s not huge differences in pro and college offenses, you’re not watching the games. The one thing that would give me hope is that Brian Daboll has really altered the Buffalo offense to take advantage of what Josh Allen does best and it really incorporates a ton of college concepts. Hopefully Dorsey would be able to use that to translate to the college game.
Do you REALLY believe that Dorsey .. the guy who went 38-2 as a QB and won the national championship .. isn't AWARE of what college offenses look like today? Dorsey has been GAME PLANNING in the NFL .. alongside the OC's. Guy is a sponge mentally .. absorbs new information quickly. I believe he would kill it at UM as an OC. Believe he is a "Joe Brady" intellectually and would certainly scheme to the roster strengths .. and creatively game plan vs opponents weaknesses. I really liked Brady from a couple of interviews "we don't NEED to go deep every time .. me .. I love check downs .. check downs = first downs and continued first downs = touchdowns". Brady's simple philosophy .. backed up by his play construction .. guaranteed that his QB ALWAYS had a couple of "easy" check downs to ensure they got that 3rd down conversion, first down, or TD. That's why Brady would be my #1 pick.

Do you REALLY believe that Dorsey .. the guy who went 38-2 as a QB and won the national championship .. isn't AWARE of what college offenses look like today? Dorsey has been GAME PLANNING in the NFL .. alongside the OC's. Guy is a sponge mentally .. absorbs new information quickly. I believe he would kill it at UM as an OC. Believe he is a "Joe Brady" intellectually and would certainly scheme to the roster strengths .. and creatively game plan vs opponents weaknesses. I really liked Brady from a couple of interviews "we don't NEED to go deep every time .. me .. I love check downs .. check downs = first downs and continued first downs = touchdowns". Brady's simple philosophy .. backed up by his play construction .. guaranteed that his QB ALWAYS had a couple of "easy" check downs to ensure they got that 3rd down conversion, first down, or TD. That's why Brady would be my #1 pick.
Not sure what his record as a Quarterback 20 years ago has to do with it. I would certainly hope that whatever offense he runs looks nothing at all like the Larry Coker offense he ran in college.

The Joe Brady point if valid though. Brady was able to parlay a short stint and a low level NFL assistant into a very capable passing game coordinator in college. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for Dorsey, who has more experience, to pull a similar move.

CIS depiction of KD as OC
4007B95E-9ADC-4C18-B6D6-F22B5D2F383F.webp

The NFL is chock full of low experience guys who have made huge leaps. Dorsey has as much or more experience than any one of these guys who are now NFL head coaches and served very short stints as DC or OC if at all.

Matt LeFleur- QB coach to OC (for 2 years) to HC
Brandon Staley -LB coach to DC (for 1 year) to HC
Sean McVay - TE coach (for 3 years) to OC (for 3 years) to HC
Zac Taylor- QB coach to OC for one year. Then back to QB coach and WR coach then straight to HC
Kevin stefanski- QB coach to OC (for 2 years) to HC
Kyke Shanahan- QB coach and WR coach for one year each before becoming an OC
Joe judge- special teams assistant to special teams coordinator to head coach
Mike Vrabel- LB coach to DC (for 1 year) to head coach
Kliff Kingsbury- OC in college for 1 year before becoming a head coach
Brian Flores- LB coach to Head coach
Matt Nagy- QB coach for 3 years then OC for 2 years then HC

Forgot: Dan Campbell- TE coach to Head coach

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not sure what his record as a Quarterback 20 years ago has to do with it. I would certainly hope that whatever offense he runs looks nothing at all like the Larry Coker offense he ran in college.

The Joe Brady point if valid though. Brady was able to parlay a short stint and a low level NFL assistant into a very capable passing game coordinator in college. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for Dorsey, who has more experience, to pull a similar move.
What his record as a QB has to do with it is very simple. He IS a guy who .. in college .. against top level competition .. CALLED THE PLAYS for up to 50% of his plays in some games. He has been INVOLVED with game planning, evaluating defenses (you know, that thing that QB's do while getting ready to take the snap), scheming against defenses, his entire life since college and into the pros. He is very aware of offense variations / differences as this has been his livelihood. He isn't running Coker's offense at the Bills right now (I know HE isn't the Bills OC .. but he IS partly responsible for the game planning and play scripting). So .. KD didn't STOP learning football offensive styles / variations 20 years ago. I look at Brady / Dorsey as being very similar .. with Brady having the monster LSU season as the trump card.

What has your experience been wrt to OL as a group? I've oft stated I believe, as a whole, there isn't a more important component to the O, given all others are at least close to average.

Put another way I guess, an above average/elite OL can get a team much closer to a champioship than any other single player on O if the OL is below average.

What have you seen?
Our line play will be elite again. Honestly the argument can be made that it's the most important unit on the team and they're play sets us up on both sides of the ball. A good line allows you to dominate time of possession which in turn keeps your defense off the field.

Advertisement
If I say "**** yes!!!" Does it mean Mario will announce it this week?

Because I will.

Advertisement
Why do they have to have previous playcalling experience. Teams take position coaches from the NFL all the time and make them coordinators. If someone gets glowing reviews from NFL coaches and they say someone is ready for the next step....they know. Particularly when its not just coming from people on their own team only. If the person is coming from college, yes i want previous experience at what they are coming to do. NFL i see it differently.
Why would it be different? If anything, I'd rather know you've done it at the college level as that's what we'd be hiring you to do. NFL experience doesn't always translate the same way college coaches often fail in the NFL. It's a different job.

Advertisement
Back