Are you cool if Dorsey is OC?

Are you cool if Dorsey is OC?

• Total voters
Advertisement
To think that dude was ranked pretty high if I remember correctly. Just shows how worthless scouts can be.

QB is far and away the most difficult position to evaluate. The guys who are the best of the best get it wrong as frequently as they get it right. It's such a cerebral position, you simply cannot replicate how a kid is going to perform in any other setting. You can get pretty **** close with linemen, backs, backers, etc. But that position, it requires so much high-level thinking in such a small piece of time, it's simply impossible to know how a kill will play when the lights come on. Kirby, from an athletic perspective, was a decent prospect. He wasn't big, but he could run, he was solidly built, he had a pretty strong arm. Good athlete, good arm, big enough.....but he couldn't think and had zero feel for the position.

Our line play will be elite again. Honestly the argument can be made that it's the most important unit on the team and they're play sets us up on both sides of the ball. A good line allows you to dominate time of possession which in turn keeps your defense off the field.
LOVE to hear you say that.

Always appreciate your input.

Why would it be different? If anything, I'd rather know you've done it at the college level as that's what we'd be hiring you to do. NFL experience doesn't always translate the same way college coaches often fail in the NFL. It's a different job.
Its easier to step down from NFL to college than other way around. Saban is a prime example,goat in college, average in the NFL. Its not a different job, its football. NFL is the highest level. Each level down is less complicated from a coaching standpoint and vica versa. Joe Brady was a prime example and the Michigan DC.

Advertisement
give me all the strikes you want, you guys drooling over someone who has never called plays before when we have the budget we do is just a loser mentality at it's finest

We have the money to get the BEST.

you guys want someone who 'maybe' 'might' be good 'one day' because he's a passing game coordinator

As Cribby mentioned, is Kellen Moore who is the OC of the 12-5 and $5.7B franchise Cowboys beneath us? Because Dorsey has a way better resume than he had when he got the gig. The NFL gig. WAY more experience. More years as a position coach than Moore and Passing Game Coordinator experience. You should go tell Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones what idiots they are.

When KD is lighting it up as an NFL OC in eight months maybe the lightbulb will go on for some of you.

I don't think you guys really understand what being a good NFL coach entails. It means you're coaching against a small pool of only 32 teams with salary caps. The 32nd best OC in the NFL is one of the best at what he does in the world.

Dorsey's status right now, his PGC experience, who he's been mentored by, his acumen, and everything he's done to get himself to this point frankly makes him OVER-QUALIFED to be the OC at Miami. Which is why the only reason we have a chance at him, while NO OTHER COLLEGE PROGRAM does, is because it's home. That said, I don't think we can pull him away from the NFL.

Last edited:
For all of you negative Nancies out there who don’t believe Dorsey is good enough to call plays, how hard do you think it is?

The NFL is chock full of low experience guys who have made huge leaps. Dorsey has as much or more experience than any one of these guys who are now NFL head coaches and served very short stints as DC or OC if at all.

Matt LeFleur- QB coach to OC (for 2 years) to HC
Brandon Staley -LB coach to DC (for 1 year) to HC
Sean McVay - TE coach (for 3 years) to OC (for 3 years) to HC
Zac Taylor- QB coach to OC for one year. Then back to QB coach and WR coach then straight to HC
Kevin stefanski- QB coach to OC (for 2 years) to HC
Kyke Shanahan- QB coach and WR coach for one year each before becoming an OC
Joe judge- special teams assistant to special teams coordinator to head coach
Mike Vrabel- LB coach to DC (for 1 year) to head coach
Kliff Kingsbury- OC in college for 1 year before becoming a head coach
Brian Flores- LB coach to Head coach
Matt Nagy- QB coach for 3 years then OC for 2 years then HC

Forgot: Dan Campbell- TE coach to Head coach

If it was a prerequisite for a top OC candidate to 100% have play-calling experience then a ton of the best coordinators in the NFL would not have gotten their jobs. Their NFL jobs. All their positions would have been filled by college OC's. Yet at the highest level, those guys have had major success.

I just cannot imagine being so myopic that I would think that Ken Dorsey, wunderkind offensive mind, 8-year NFL QB and an NFL Passing Game Coordinator wouldn't be a HOME RUN OVER-QUALIFIED OC hire for the Miami Hurricanes, all while being a red-hot OC NFL candidate.

Your list should have ended this conversation. Maybe the worst of us will start to get it now.

Advertisement
dazed and confused 90s GIF

keep GIF

Kind of getting the sense that the people who are threatening to commit seppuku in front of the Hecht if Dorsey is named OC were the same ones who couldn't wait to run Lashlee out of town..

Love Dorsey, but would rather see some play calling experience. You can be a great asst coach and a lousy play caller. Somewhat different skill set. With a real budget and a top HC we should be shooting for a proven guy.

Advertisement
Love Dorsey, but would rather see some play calling experience. You can be a great asst coach and a lousy play caller. Somewhat different skill set. With a real budget and a top HC we should be shooting for a proven guy.
don't speak that kind of logic on here, you'll get a ton of trolls coming your way

Last edited:
For all of you negative Nancies out there who don’t believe Dorsey is good enough to call plays, how hard do you think it is?
Well we have about 15-20 years of inept offense at Miami to say it can be fairly difficult.

Rob Chudzinski
Dan Werner
Rich Olsen
Patrick Nix
James Coley
Mark Richt
Dan Enos

3 solid OC's in nearly 20 years?

Jeff Fisch
Mark Whipple
Rhett Lashlee

Advertisement
I’m all aboard the Dorsey train for OC. I think it’s a great hire. He has a proven track record of developing QB’s in the NFL. That’s nothing to scoff at. Is there risk here? Yes, but I don’t see a scenario in which Miami can hire someone without risk. There isn’t a 100% slam dunk option out there. Someone like Kevin Wilson is, but that’s not a realistic option. Again, I’m good with either Dorsey or Briles, and think both will do very well if hired.

As far as hiring someone without play calling experience I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. There are examples of this working out well and also not working out. Kellen Moore has worked out. The Michigan DC, Mike Macdonald, had an excellent year 1 in Ann Arbor going from the NFL to college DC without play calling experience. Brad White has done great at Kentucky going from position coach in NFL to DC.

QB is far and away the most difficult position to evaluate. The guys who are the best of the best get it wrong as frequently as they get it right. It's such a cerebral position, you simply cannot replicate how a kid is going to perform in any other setting. You can get pretty **** close with linemen, backs, backers, etc. But that position, it requires so much high-level thinking in such a small piece of time, it's simply impossible to know how a kill will play when the lights come on. Kirby, from an athletic perspective, was a decent prospect. He wasn't big, but he could run, he was solidly built, he had a pretty strong arm. Good athlete, good arm, big enough.....but he couldn't think and had zero feel for the position.
Yes and no. I agree it's the hardest position to evaluate obviously. Because there is so many variables and unless he runs the same offense in high school you immediately introduce a new variable. However there is ALOT of tells. K.f for instance was one of the biggest morons I ever spoke with. Caveman standards. A QB requires SOMETHING cerebral to go along with your athletic side. That's literally all he had was some athleticism in some hick town that doesn't exactly distinguish much. This dude was in the elite 11 finals... WTF were they thinking.

Well we have about 15-20 years of inept offense at Miami to say it can be fairly difficult.

Rob Chudzinski
Dan Werner
Rich Olsen
Patrick Nix
James Coley
Mark Richt
Dan Enos

3 solid OC's in nearly 20 years?

Jeff Fisch
Mark Whipple
Rhett Lashlee
Are you saying chud wasn't a solid oc? The dude who called the offense for the best team in the history of college football wasn't solid? Get thee fvck outta here with that silly ****. Dude literally parlayed that job into an NFL headcoaching job no matter where and for how long. Y'all crazy.

Advertisement
Back