A note on the Portal...

With all due respect to CanesFreak, I have a better source on Cyr than his agent 😉 (feel free to go back through my ~5 posts made on here). I was told his issue WAS with the coaching staff, and particularly with the god-son getting preferential treatment. I’m sure other things played a role, but I was told this before he broke his thumb. Cyr is a MIF, not an outfielder. Obviously has legit MLB potential as a MIF.

I honestly haven’t asked/heard the latest yet, but I don’t think he ends up at UCF as some have suggested. Probably destined for a big time ‘blue blood’ program.

However, It’s crazy how a lot of you still look down on UCF as somehow lower tiered by saying things such as ‘he wouldn’t go there for baseball reasons, etc’. UCF is right up there now with the state of Florida’s ‘big 3’ in terms of athletics, especially now being in the Big12.
No, UCF is not with the big 3 in Florida lol.

Advertisement
Zane Denton from Tennessee (Alabama for 3 years prior to that) is in the portal.

Some serious pop with 39 career homeruns and can play corner infield. Would be a good Torres replacement

Zane Denton from Tennessee (Alabama for 3 years prior to that) is in the portal.

Some serious pop with 39 career homeruns and can play corner infield. Would be a good Torres replacement
Won't be get drafted? Why is he leaving Tennessee? Why wasn't he on the post season roster?

Advertisement
We can do better than a .276 hitter who hasn't played in a year.
Need to get some of the incoming freshmen ready to play come February.
Hit .300 in the SEC in 2021 and had nearly a 1.000 OPS in 2023

Would have only trailed Cuvet in that category based on this year’s stats.

Kid is a draft pick. He just lost his job to a better draft pick in Billy Amick.

No, UCF is not with the big 3 in Florida lol.
I’m talking as it stands today. Not 10 or 20+ years ago.

UCF’s baseball team went 35-19 in their first year in the B12, beating UM and FL along the way…then lost twice to FSU in the regionals.

But let’s not kid ourselves, football runs everything. Go check out what UCF is doing in recruiting (top 20) and the portal (top 3), while winning recruiting battles left and right with the ‘big 3’ for the first time. This is obviously NIL driven now and UCF has a huge collective. Playing in the Big 12 championship and getting into the playoffs this year doesn’t seem far fetched.

Anyways, it’s been fun guys. I became a UM baseball fan for 2 years and it was a wild a fun ride, particularly following you guys on this forum. Great content and discussions here for sure. I’m sure they’ll reload and be competing in the WS in no time.

I’m talking as it stands today. Not 10 or 20+ years ago.

UCF’s baseball team went 35-19 in their first year in the B12, beating UM and FL along the way…then lost twice to FSU in the regionals.

But let’s not kid ourselves, football runs everything. Go check out what UCF is doing in recruiting (top 20) and the portal (top 3), while winning recruiting battles left and right with the ‘big 3’ for the first time. This is obviously NIL driven now and UCF has a huge collective. Playing in the Big 12 championship and getting into the playoffs this year doesn’t seem far fetched.

Anyways, it’s been fun guys. I became a UM baseball fan for 2 years and it was a wild a fun ride, particularly following you guys on this forum. Great content and discussions here for sure. I’m sure they’ll reload and be competing in the WS in no time.
What football recruiting battles did UCF win over UM?

With all due respect to CanesFreak, I have a better source on Cyr than his agent 😉 (feel free to go back through my ~5 posts made on here). I was told his issue WAS with the coaching staff, and particularly with the god-son getting preferential treatment. I’m sure other things played a role, but I was told this before he broke his thumb. Cyr is a MIF, not an outfielder. Obviously has legit MLB potential as a MIF.

I honestly haven’t asked/heard the latest yet, but I don’t think he ends up at UCF as some have suggested. Probably destined for a big time ‘blue blood’ program.

However, It’s crazy how a lot of you still look down on UCF as somehow lower tiered by saying things such as ‘he wouldn’t go there for baseball reasons, etc’. UCF is right up there now with the state of Florida’s ‘big 3’ in terms of athletics, especially now being in the Big12.
amazing daddy ball still exist on the college level too.. smh...

Advertisement
What football recruiting battles did UCF win over UM?

He said "Big 3", not UM.

2025 4-star Kendarius Reddick lists offers from UF (recruited by DC Austin Armstrong) and UM.
2025 4-star Taevion Swint lists offers from UF, UM, and F$U.
2025 4-star Tony Williams lists an offer from F$U.

2024 4-star Kylan Fox lists offers from UF, UM, and F$U.
2024 4-star Waltclair Flynn lists offers from UM and F$U.
2024 4-star Qua Birdsong lists an offer from UM.

Again, that is not to say that all of those guys were the biggest recruiting battles ever. It's hard to prove whether UCF recruited better or the Big 3 lost interest, but you can't pretend that UCF isn't getting guys that also have Big 3 offers.

Yeh, I agree with you here on the coaching staff. I didn't know that Dorian Gonzales was J Dopey's God son. Of course he is going to say it isn't the coaching staff. He doesn't want to burn a bridge and Cyr seems like he was raised right. Cyr started as a short stop and was VERY good in high school. Moves to 2nd while Gino is here and all of a sudden gets moved to the outfield for coaches God son. LOL. Himmmm.... Elephant in the room type situation.

Advertisement
Cyr, Bowker and Kilen at Tennessee this weekend for the Super. That place is going to be loud. Tenn kids are going to be chirping, if Evansville doesnt play well Tenn will blow their doors off and that place will be a mad house. Vitello will be an uncaged animal.
Would be hard to not be wowed by that scene. Should be quite the show but go Aces.

I’m telling you they don’t have a focused lab for either or pitching and mostly rely on TrackMan and video data rather than the advanced high-speed cameras and advanced pitching machines that pro orgs focus on.

They have gone from nothing tech to some tech machines, but they’re flash than substance from what I’ve seen.
Thanks for clarifying. That's still a pretty major yikes compared to what we should have.

Advertisement
Throwing in my own $0.02 on the JD/D-Go godfather/godson situation...I'll never ask someone to apologize for looking out for their family, blood or adopted or whatever.

HOWEVER

JD's first job as leader of this program is to do the right thing *for the program*. If he basically chose D-Go (because of their relationship) over Cyr and in effect ran Cyr off, then that alone is a fireable offense and shows he can't be the leader of this program. I'm sorry, but his decisions about this roster have to be grounded in what's best for the program, and his personal relationship with D-Go has to come secondary to that.

It's the same stuff we heckled Richt for w/his son as OC, and that we've laughed at Mario over regarding Lou being a scholarship OL on this roster. Can't give JD any kind of pass on the same kind of thing.

Cyr, Bowker and Kilen at Tennessee this weekend for the Super. That place is going to be loud. Tenn kids are going to be chirping, if Evansville doesnt play well Tenn will blow their doors off and that place will be a mad house. Vitello will be an uncaged animal.
100%. Vitello coaches with a chip on his shoulder.

Advertisement
Back