A note on the Portal...

Advertisement
Who was the guy that said Cyr's decision had nothing to do with the coaching staff?? HaHaHa. This had EVERYTHING to do with the coaching staff. Cyr basically stuck both middle fingers in the air while heading to Gainsville. If it were any other school, I would say it wasn't personal. But this one is. I am happy for Cyr. Go get coached up by a top tier program that doesn't discriminate and enjoy Omaha next year. I can't wait to see him step on home plate after a shot over the left field wall against a soft throwing lefty who hits his spots and crafty LOL. What a joke this program became.

Wouldn’t even be sad to see Cuvet bounce at this point. Dude is a top level star in the making about to waste his college years with no shot at a CWS and potentially could regress under the lack of coaching.

I’m already on the lose as much as possible train to expedite JD being removed from this program once and for all. Don’t need Cuvet keeping the UM baseball bandaid on that we’ve all been screaming to get ripped off!

Don’t know why Cuvet would stay unless he is a Canes fan growing up.

The portal and NIL is killing college athletics. There has got to be a better way as no way just two conferences should be in Omaha. I mean **** in football just have SEC.

With that…JD is a ******* program killer. I watched less this year than in previous years. I have a feeling it will be even less next year.

The solution outside of additional scholarship money is to provide enough NIL that covers the remaining cost of tuition that a partial scholarship doesn't provide. It's not taxable income

So, if school ABC is offering $100k in NIL, Miami offers $100k + tuition differential.

From the IRS:

Generally, any money, goods, property, or services received from NIL activities are all considered forms of taxable income. Student-athletes should be mindful that NIL agreement income (including non-cash benefits or compensation) is reportable and is considered taxable income.

Advertisement
Maybe during our postseason exit interviews, Cyr just interviewed bad.
IMG_2118.gif

Advertisement
From the IRS:

Generally, any money, goods, property, or services received from NIL activities are all considered forms of taxable income. Student-athletes should be mindful that NIL agreement income (including non-cash benefits or compensation) is reportable and is considered taxable income.
I know NIL is taxable. I was thinking tuition is tax deductible, but it's not. If it were, it would be a wash. However, the NIL payment could just include the tuition differential plus the tax on that differential.

I’m telling you they don’t have a focused lab for either or pitching and mostly rely on TrackMan and video data rather than the advanced high-speed cameras and advanced pitching machines that pro orgs focus on.

They have gone from nothing tech to some tech machines, but they’re flash than substance from what I’ve seen.
How much do these things cost?

Program needs to be gutted and start over. No excuse not to be able to field competitive teams in baseball. It’s done across the country at many schools with way less resources. It starts at the top. Fire them all.
Fact, flushed down the toilet from top to bottom go get a national respectable coach with no damm Miami ties and start over.

Advertisement
The solution outside of additional scholarship money is to provide enough NIL that covers the remaining cost of tuition that a partial scholarship doesn't provide. It's not taxable income

Correction: Tuition is not tax deductible.

So, if school ABC is offering $100k in NIL, Miami offers $100k + tuition differential + differential tax.

But, essentially, that would AT LEAST be twice as much NIL for every single player, just to equalize. Not sure that anyone has the budget for that.

I hope we go to headcount scholarships soon and/or get our endowment to the point where merit/need scholarships are much more prevalent.

For a full set up (the building, hitting, pitching, cameras, etc) I bet you could probably do under 10 million...well I dont know the campus real estate/space all that well so the space/building is going to be the biggest piece

This is why some of us were asking Dan about the facilities. The most reasonable space for this would be along the third-base side, as the first-base side already has some permanent buildings.

Build it, and then put seating on top.

1718731829092.png

Advertisement
Jimenez entered the portal …amazing everyone hitting the eject button
Maybe he was told to kick rocks? It can be a bit of a two way street. They could have someone else coming in. I know we’re quick to **** on JD, which was well earned, but gotta at least see the final product of what we get and then next year how it performs.

Advertisement
Back