A note on the Portal...

I know this is a good discussion and maybe D$ should cover it in a podcast, because I would love to hear how Duke, Wake, Dallas Baptist, Rice, and a slew of other private schools do it (with smaller collectives).
100%. Don't forget about Vandy. I know Vandy has so much money that the baseball players got other types of academic scholarships that filled in the gaps for 100% coverage. They were one of the few teams that provided the full cost of attendance before NIL with other types of university scholarships.

I'm not sure how it works at Vandy, but in a similar fashion, non athlete students at Ivy League schools have fewer student loan debt than students at public universities despite cost of attendance being double or more. There's so much money to go around, everyone is getting some type of academic scholarship.

Advertisement
I think pitching has always been a disappointment at Miami in terms of how many guys ended up having good to really good pro careers. There isn't even a Testaverde type that at least had a really long career, that I'm aware of. We have only ever had at the very best guys that were really good college pitchers and that was it.
I hope Laz changes that. I wanted the WF coach. WF has a pitching lab. They have a structure for development that is an easy sell to prospects. They are big on development. Some of their best pro prospects were not even the elite kids coming out of high school. They are adding 5+ mph to the fastball of their prospects. Guys that come in at the upper 80's leave throwing in the low-mid 90's and know how to pitch.

Other than Vandy's run for a few years, the SEC is still LSU and UF only when it comes to baseball IMO. You'll have the occasional outlier every 25 years or so like Ole Miss. And the conference gets every benefit of the doubt in seedings, yet typically choke on the big stage (just like every SEC team in basketball that isn't UK).

If we'd ever get our act together, we could be right there w UVA going to Omaha every other year.
Other than Missouri and Alabama, every other SEC team has made it to the CWS in the last 10-12 years.
Florida, LSU , MSU, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Vanderbilt have all won titles. This has been an impressive dominant showing by the conference.
Every school is committed to top notch facilities and spending $ on coaching.
With the right direction, there is no reason that we are not playing in the Super Regional weekend looking to advance to Omaha.

I hope Laz changes that. I wanted the WF coach. WF has a pitching lab. They have a structure for development that is an easy sell to prospects. They are big on development. Some of their best pro prospects were not even the elite kids coming out of high school. They are adding 5+ mph to the fastball of their prospects. Guys that come in at the upper 80's leave throwing in the low-mid 90's and know how to pitch.
I really hope so too, but that made my blood boil to hear that Morris and James Apparently laughed at the idea of pitching labs and stuff like that.

Advertisement
100%. Don't forget about Vandy. I know Vandy has so much money that the baseball players got other types of academic scholarships that filled in the gaps for 100% coverage. They were one of the few teams that provided the full cost of attendance before NIL with other types of university scholarships.

I'm not sure how it works at Vandy, but in a similar fashion, non athlete students at Ivy League schools have fewer student loan debt than students at public universities despite cost of attendance being double or more. There's so much money to go around, everyone is getting some type of academic scholarship.

Vanderbilt has the 16th-largest endowment fund at nearly $10 billion, Miami is at #60 with an endowment of nearly $1.4 billion. Also, Vanderbilt's student enrollment is about 50% smaller than Miami's.

Regardless of what the "but we've had top 10 recruiting classes" dopes want to tell us...about how the players having to pay the other 70-75% of their tuition "doesn't matter"...it does.

Having the ability for equivalency-scholarship athletes to get academic and need-based scholarships to cover the rest of their costs is huge. Allowing student-athletes to bank their NIL money without having to spend it on tuition is huge. Having the ability to recruit all student-athletes, regardless of income level, is huge.

I'll be interested to see Lance's breakdown on Hugus. Ignoring the ERA, the walks, while improved over his freshman year, are high for my liking.
First off, it's always humbling to me that people give two hoots about what I think/write, so thank you for that.

Hand above, this is a second player I had highlighted in the transfer portal as a guy to look at that Miami has now grabbed in the portal. Will Smith being the other.

Now, this isn't the same conviction as with Smith, but more of a projection. The predictive stats are just ok for Hugus (whereas the descriptive stats are pretty poor).

What you like with Hugus is his baseline athleticism is elite for a D1 pitcher. Teams track your rotational acceleration and bat speed etc. and Hugus was at 80 mph max bat speed and 70 mph average bat speed in high school, both markers are excellent for that age. Athleticism + rotational acceleration forecast projection for a pitcher.

Add to that, generally a ball of clay you want to see for a pitcher is a 6-3, 175 pound kid coming out of high school and he is close to on the money there (at 6-2, but with good extension).

You need more than just markers to take a guy with poor numbers and he has actualization of the markers in the form of 2,800 rpm spin rates on the curveball and 2,500 on the fastball.

Layman terms: he can really spin the baseball because he's so athletic and his rotational acceleration is plus plus.

What's that mean for his baseball performance? A high spin fastball at the top of the zone with play up all by itself, but pair it with a high spin curveball and you've got a really difficult combination because the curveball comes out of the hand and appears to "go up" at release, meaning it looks exactly like the fastball at the top of the zone.

Training as a pitcher only, his first order of business will be to get more consistent with the location of his curveball. You see that he allowed a ton of slug (hard contact) at Cincinnati because he left the curveball up too much and those are easy to get into the air. Fly balls are bad, in general (though you do expect to have a lower batting average on balls in play with them, they go for more slug and all home runs are not ground balls, obviously).

This is a tools-based projection on an elite athlete with some present production, misses bats already, and has a real chance to make a leap as a pitcher-only in middle relief. Expect a bridge reliever in season one, in a role where you can get him out quickly if he can't locate the curveball, but also one where he can give multiple innings and frustrate an opponent when he's locating down.

You need kids like this to balance out a staff and if he takes a step in velocity and location, you have a lot more in there. He's already played at the Big-12 level and shown he can miss bats. I'm excited to see what the staff can do from a dev standpoint with him.

Advertisement
Vanderbilt has the 16th-largest endowment fund at nearly $10 billion, Miami is at #60 with an endowment of nearly $1.4 billion. Also, Vanderbilt's student enrollment is about 50% smaller than Miami's.

Regardless of what the "but we've had top 10 recruiting classes" dopes want to tell us...about how the players having to pay the other 70-75% of their tuition "doesn't matter"...it does.

Having the ability for equivalency-scholarship athletes to get academic and need-based scholarships to cover the rest of their costs is huge. Allowing student-athletes to bank their NIL money without having to spend it on tuition is huge. Having the ability to recruit all student-athletes, regardless of income level, is huge.
The solution outside of additional scholarship money is to provide enough NIL that covers the remaining cost of tuition that a partial scholarship doesn't provide. It's not taxable income

Correction: Tuition is not tax deductible.

So, if school ABC is offering $100k in NIL, Miami offers $100k + tuition differential + differential tax.

Last edited:
If Cyr ends up at Tennessee don’t be surprised if he still ends up in the OF.
So, basically Vitello is going to figure out a way to play Cyr in the OF effectively, and without the drama of having Vitello's godson at Cyr's natural spot of 2B? And gonna talk the Louisville SS into doing *the same thing* because it gets both bats in the lineup?

JD is looking at this like the chimpanzee seeing a magic trick thru his cage.

EDIT - so it won't be Vitello but Sully that landed Cyr.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe during our postseason exit interviews, Cyr just interviewed bad.
Oh My George Takai GIF

So that whole rant...was just stating the obvious?

I didn't support the hiring of JD. But he's there for now. So can we possibly just separate issues into the "JD's Fault" and "Not JD's Fault" buckets?

It's not JD's fault that prior UM coaches didn't support a more robust use of NIL and/or the Portal. It's not JD's fault that he was hired so late in 2023 and was tardy to his first Portal Party. It's not JD's fault that prior UM coaches (and a certain beta Athletic Director) allowed our facilities to fall behind.

I'd be fine if we replaced JD, whether it's now or next year. But whoever the replacement is will still have to deal with a number of things that are "Not JD's Fault".

Unless we intend to find a time-traveling DeLorean in order to change our facilities, NIL, hiring-timing, and recruiting strategy, I don't think we will get an immediate fix. But we have seen some other in-state schools turn things around quickly. If we can retain our HS recruiting class and sign a bunch of good guys in the Portal, there's no reason we can't start getting things turned around by next year. But, yes, it will take a few more years to improve and modernize the facilities.
It is all the admin's fault and JD sucks. Miami is always a few years away....

People here are constantly arguing Miami has the money... so we just actively choose not to use it on things we need to be competitive at major college athletics....

Sad for alumni and fans.

Advertisement
So, basically Vitello is going to figure out a way to play Cyr in the OF effectively, and without the drama of having Vitello's godson at Cyr's natural spot of 2B? And gonna talk the Louisville SS into doing *the same thing* because it gets both bats in the lineup?

JD is looking at this like the chimpanzee seeing a magic trick thru his cage.

EDIT - so it won't be Vitello but Sully that landed Cyr.

Lots of people spelled U-C-F incorrectly....

Advertisement
Back