A note on the Portal...

Advertisement
When I attended UM in the 90s, we were 147-45 and went to the CWS every year, losing by a walk off in '96. I'm still trying to get my head around what I witnessed this year.
First team to not lose by double elimination.

Advertisement
JDs prototype was to start and name his god-son Dorian to start no matter what and mess with our only returning all american. I hope blake shines next year under a real head coach. JD needs to be gone immediately.
WOW, I didn't know Dorian was the God-son of JD. That explains it. I hope Cyr goes and crushes it.

Duke, Wake, and Rice have massive endowment funds, and a lot more need-based scholarships (open to all students) than what Miami can offer.

Stanford - $36.5 billion
Notre Dame - $16.6 billion
Northwestern - $13.7 billion
Duke - $13.25 billion
Vanderbilt - $9.7 billion
Southern Cal - $7.5 billion
Rice - $7.25 billion
Boston College - $3.5 billion
TCU - $2.6 billion
Wake - $1.9 billion
Miami - $1.4 billion

Wake is about half the size of Miami (student body size).
More sophistry from the Board Blowhard. If you’re going to use endowment size to excuse Miami’s lack of success on the diamond, know that each endowment has strict rules dictating how much can be spent every year and for what. So posting a Wikipedia article lacks context as it doesn’t show what percentages of those endowments are being used for athletics. Many large schools put a high priority on the academic side and allocate less to athletics than a school with a much smaller endowment. Otherwise, Harvard could dominate D1 in any sport. (No athletic scholarships but can get the poor players you covet in with need based-scholarships just like UM can) Your pathological need to “always be right” makes me think your compensating for something. I think I now know why you’re championing schools with “small endowments”.

You still haven’t reconciled the contradiction that Miami is hamstrung by scholarship limits but continues to get top-10 classes every year, including #4 this year. That’s 301 D1 teams that would love to switch recruiting classes with Miami. Mark Richt had a top 20 class and didn’t win?? What does have to do with anything? These are not disjoint events. You can have a top-ranked recruiting class and still fail due to poor coaching, player development, or any number of other reasons. Happens all the time for all sports. The cost of the school does not affect the recruiting rankings as the people making those rankings are not looking at each and every recruit’s 1099. A player’s ranking has nothing to do with his parent’s net worth.

If you think the class rankings are flawed, that’s fine but provide a benchmark to show that Miami can’t get quality recruits due to high tuition. Dismissing the current rankings standard that everyone uses to evaluate recruiting and failing to provide an alternative means you can’t possibly prove your own assertion. You never learned logical fallacies in school?

I’ll put it simply in your terms so you can finally understand: If Miami decided to sue the NCAA under the premise that the NCAA baseball scholarship rule was hurting their ability to attract quality recruits, how fast would that suit get tossed when the NCAA lawyer showed the history Miami’s top-recruiting classes to the judge?

Judge: “I see the top recruits in the country come from a pool of varying income levels. Some of the less fortunate are even on Miami’s roster. And state schools like Florida and FSU have both privileged and low-income players. And excuse me but wow, the #4 ranked class? 5-6 players drafted every year? Dismissed.”

In theory, Miami’s high tuition (self-inflicted) would seem a hindrance, in reality it’s not. It’s a beautiful campus with a great field, facilities, and baseball tradition. It’s located in a baseball hotbed surrounded by talented ball players that grew up dreaming of playing at the Light. Just because the price tag is too rich for one recruit doesn’t mean there’s not 10 more behind him willing to take his spot. The exception does not prove the rule.

Making excuses for the program solves nothing. Miami has failed to be what it once was because of an extended tenure of mediocre to sub-standard coaching. It’s really that simple.

Also, stop hitting up other posters to try curry agreement with your evidence-lacking take. Seeking validation from them won’t make you more right and is kind of sad, actually.

Blake is in the portal. As you guys know, I have (had) an NIL with him since last year and have developed a nice relationship with him over that time. I got a call from his agent (former Cane) last week to tell me. Without getting into details, he said (for what it is worth), that it was not about JD or the Staff, and that Blake needed a change. Beyond his father dying suddenly and an injury, he stated that he had gone through some serious personal issues. Blake, as you guys know, has had a very tough life, but committed to UM at 14. I don't know what happened, but it really hurt me (unlike my NIL with Brashard - who I really didn't have a relationship with - I really grew to like this young man alot). The whole NIL stemmed from my 8 year old, who loves Canes baseball and Blake (a fav with the kids), immediately became his favorite player. Aside from having orange and green everything in his room, he printed out pictures from the Internet and has plastered them all over his room. He wore number 4 for Little League this year. I haven't even told him yet, because it is going to be hard for him to understand. This is the really tough part of sports. I don't know the details, I'm not a JD fan (as a pitching coach or otherwise), and not sure what to think. But if I believe Blake's agent, it wasn't about JD or the Staff, but a personal issue. That's all I know boys. Tough stuff and now I have to sack up and explain this to an 8 year old.
I guess Dhutz was right after all. Sorry to see Blake go. He was my favorite player too. I talked him up on this board during his first Fall Ball as a player that would be fan favorite. Do you mind if I ask you what type of NIL deal he had?

Advertisement
More sophistry from the Board Blowhard. If you’re going to use endowment size to excuse Miami’s lack of success on the diamond, know that each endowment has strict rules dictating how much can be spent every year and for what. So posting a Wikipedia article lacks context as it doesn’t show what percentages of those endowments are being used for athletics. Many large schools put a high priority on the academic side and allocate less to athletics than a school with a much smaller endowment. Otherwise, Harvard could dominate D1 in any sport. (No athletic scholarships but can get the poor players you covet in with need based-scholarships just like UM can) Your pathological need to “always be right” makes me think your compensating for something. I think I now know why you’re championing schools with “small endowments”.

You still haven’t reconciled the contradiction that Miami is hamstrung by scholarship limits but continues to get top-10 classes every year, including #4 this year. That’s 301 D1 teams that would love to switch recruiting classes with Miami. Mark Richt had a top 20 class and didn’t win?? What does have to do with anything? These are not disjoint events. You can have a top-ranked recruiting class and still fail due to poor coaching, player development, or any number of other reasons. Happens all the time for all sports. The cost of the school does not affect the recruiting rankings as the people making those rankings are not looking at each and every recruit’s 1099. A player’s ranking has nothing to do with his parent’s net worth.

If you think the class rankings are flawed, that’s fine but provide a benchmark to show that Miami can’t get quality recruits due to high tuition. Dismissing the current rankings standard that everyone uses to evaluate recruiting and failing to provide an alternative means you can’t possibly prove your own assertion. You never learned logical fallacies in school?

I’ll put it simply in your terms so you can finally understand: If Miami decided to sue the NCAA under the premise that the NCAA baseball scholarship rule was hurting their ability to attract quality recruits, how fast would that suit get tossed when the NCAA lawyer showed the history Miami’s top-recruiting classes to the judge?

Judge: “I see the top recruits in the country come from a pool of varying income levels. Some of the less fortunate are even on Miami’s roster. And state schools like Florida and FSU have both privileged and low-income players. And excuse me but wow, the #4 ranked class? 5-6 players drafted every year? Dismissed.”

In theory, Miami’s high tuition (self-inflicted) would seem a hindrance, in reality it’s not. It’s a beautiful campus with a great field, facilities, and baseball tradition. It’s located in a baseball hotbed surrounded by talented ball players that grew up dreaming of playing at the Light. Just because the price tag is too rich for one recruit doesn’t mean there’s not 10 more behind him willing to take his spot. The exception does not prove the rule.

Making excuses for the program solves nothing. Miami has failed to be what it once was because of an extended tenure of mediocre to sub-standard coaching. It’s really that simple.

Also, stop hitting up other posters to try curry agreement with your evidence-lacking take. Seeking validation from them won’t make you more right and is kind of sad, actually.

A lot of nonsense from you. As per usual.

Larger endowment funds create more scholarships for all students, including student-athletes. The more need-based scholarships that a school can provide to everyone, the easier it is for a baseball player to find the other 75% of his tuition money. Those are just facts.

It's not complicated. But thanks for vomiting out a bunch of garbage. Your lack of reading comprehension and basic understanding compels you to respond at great length and variety to things that I never said.

I realize you don't understand this. How you can sign an "on-paper" talented class that does not have the heart or desire to win when the going gets tough. ****, I went to school with a bunch of UM football players who looked great on paper but mistakenly believed that every player who simply had the ability to pick UM would undoubtedly succeed. Which is why our teams of the 1990s declined in character. I saw it every day, and I'm sorry that you can't comprehend that there can be a deficit between a player's "on-paper" talent and all of the qualities necessary to succeed. There were some fine individual players, but our team heart/soul was not the same in the 1990s as it had been in the 1980s. Facts.

You keep pounding on that #4 recruiting class ranking. If you can't understand that there were other players that we should have pursued who were not interested in attending UM due to the high cost of tuition, then I get why you are so obtuse on this subject.

Now run along and invent some more things that I never said.

As for your ignorant comment on me "hitting up other posters to curry agreement", you can **** straight off with that trash. I'm allowed to converse with someone who I attended law school with 30 years ago. I realize you don't know what it's like to have friends, but intelligent people who have ongoing conversations about our love of UM sports can reach agreement without having to ask your permission. Even as you try to kiss *** by asking "what type of NIL deal Blake Cyr had". I'll give you a hint, it was an NIL deal, that's what type of NIL deal it was.

Last edited:
As you see names hop in, just know that Miami is taking a high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive approach to the Portal.

Everybody is aware of the results and they realize that we need drastic solutions. I am excited about the process. We will give you the most accurate information as this team is remade.

The collective needs an option to designate a certain portion of your donation each month to baseball... I want to give to baseball on top of football but I know football prob gets 85%.

A lot of nonsense from you. As per usual.

Larger endowment funds create more scholarships for all students, including student-athletes. The more need-based scholarships that a school can provide to everyone, the easier it is for a baseball player to find the other 75% of his tuition money. Those are just facts.

It's not complicated. But thanks for vomiting out a bunch of garbage. Your lack of reading comprehension and basic understanding compels you to respond at great length and variety to things that I never said.

I realize you don't understand this. How you can sign an "on-paper" talented class that does not have the heart or desire to win when the going gets tough. ****, I went to school with a bunch of UM football players who looked great on paper but mistakenly believed that every player who simply had the ability to pick UM would undoubtedly succeed. Which is why our teams of the 1990s declined in character. I saw it every day, and I'm sorry that you can't comprehend that there can be a deficit between a player's "on-paper" talent and all of the qualities necessary to succeed. There were some fine individual players, but our team heart/soul was not the same in the 1990s as it had been in the 1980s. Facts.

You keep pounding on that #4 recruiting class ranking. If you can't understand that there were other players that we should have pursued who were not interested in attending UM due to the high cost of tuition, then I get why you are so obtuse on this subject.

Now run along and invent some more things that I never said.

As for your ignorant comment on me "hitting up other posters to curry agreement", you can **** straight off with that trash. I'm allowed to converse with someone who I attended law school with 30 years ago. I realize you don't know what it's like to have friends, but intelligent people who have ongoing conversations about our love of UM sports can reach agreement without having to ask your permission. Even as you try to kiss *** by asking "what type of NIL deal Blake Cyr had". I'll give you a hint, it was an NIL deal, that's what type of NIL deal it was.
Endowments are largely a factor for private schools. For example, University of Alabama's endowment is $1.09 billion equal to that of my alma mater, Lafayette College, an undergrduate school of 2,100 students, but around 1,600 through 2000. FSU has about the same amount and Florida has about $2.4 billion. Miami has a total of $1,4 billion in endowment. Only $250 million is without restrictions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Super super low on the JD hire to begin with. I thought he was deserving of being fired as the pitching coach before getting the HC job.

But I do like the staff he has in place. I like the new analytics they’ve introduced and only scratched the surface on their capabilities in year 1. I like the fight we had in Charlotte. Some solid and superstar pieces coming back (I hope) and as usual we’re very highly rated in recruiting. The new NCAA rules allowing scholarships to all athletes will really bolster us in general and level the playing field to other in-state schools

He was also handcuffed to the portal in year 1 due to timing of when he was hired. If they’re going to be super aggressive in the portal and remake the roster.. definitely willing to buy in for year 2 and see what happens. If Cyr, Cuvet, and Torres stick around, maybe Dorian comes back and make some solid additions it could be a dangerous lineup. I think pitching has a long way to go and don’t know they can do it all through the portal.
That last part is still my biggest problem with the hire. The guy who failed as a pitching coach is now in charge of the entire roster. Ouch.

When I attended UM in the 90s, we were 147-45 and went to the CWS every year, losing by a walk off in '96. I'm still trying to get my head around what I witnessed this year.
So we had only 16 less losses this year than you witnessed in 4 years while you were in school?

Endowments are largely a factor for private schools. For example, University of Alabama's endowment is $1.09 billion equal to that of my alma mater, Lafayette College, an undergrduate school of 2,100 students, but around 1,600 through 2000. FSU has about the same amount and Florida has about $2.4 billion.

Correct. The state schools are not quite as free to use their endowments for free-flowing scholarship money.

Again, I've seen this issue up-close with many recruited athletes over the years. It doesn't impact every recruit the same way. But for the student-athletes for whom tuition funding is a critical concern, the tuition differential between private schools and public schools becomes an impediment to private schools.

There are ways to overcome the impediment, but it would be easier to solve the problem by moving baseball from an equivalency scholarship sport to a headcount scholarship sport. Regardless of what "but we had the #4 recruiting class" has to say.

It's a good practice on the academic side too. If you can offer more academic-based and need-based scholarships due to having a larger endowment fund, then you tend to get the best-and-brightest, regardless of income. Makes you a more competitive academic school. And it certainly helps to have a larger endowment fund AND a smaller student body. Not sure why some porsters don't understand the math.

Advertisement
So we had only 16 less losses this year than you witnessed in 4 years while you were in school?

Well, he was actually in (law) school for 3 years.

Here were my 10 years (undergrad, MBA, law). We only had 2 mid years out of 10 when we were not flirting with 50 wins.

Independent
35-24-1
52-14-1
49-18
52-13
Big East
46-17
55-10
36-22
49-14
48-17
50-14

Those last 3 years were when @Canesfreak and I were in law school together.

As @Canesfreak noted above, Cyr has some personal reasons for leaving, unrelated to "JD" or "bad year".

Torres was the guy I really wanted to stay at UM.
Yeah but even so, a year filled with losing and a move to the outfield obviously didn't help matters with keeping Cyr. Either way we had 3 guys at the end of this past season who will be playing college baseball next season who will likely be top 2 or 3 round picks and only 1 of them will be coming back next year.

Advertisement
Back