A note on the Portal...

This board will go nuts once Cuvet announces LSU or another SEC school as his destination. I will never forget Cuvet hitting a go ahead bomb and celebrating with his team. He went to hug JD and JD looked like Cuvet was covid.

Advertisement
welp Cyr is one blow.

Lose Cuvet and this team will miss the postseason again, I don’t care who’s added from the portal. JD is a dead man walking, hope I’m wrong…but another year will be wasted on the baseball program I once loved dearly and had higher aspirations for, like Omaha or bust.

Used to go to **** near every Friday - Sunday series, at least two weekend games (when football was home that took precedent) as well as a regional/super regional package. No shot would I get tickets to watch a program like this now.

“Fight” in the postseason does not overshadow the atrocity of a season we had. 2023’s results (or lack thereof) was a fireable offense.

Cuvet will leave after next season’s disaster. We will get him one more year and then he will realize he’s protected in the lineup by Jimenez, and D2 and NAIA transfers.

Cuvet has told everyone that he is staying.

There’s no need to worry about him.
Blake and Cuvet use the same agency. I was told the same thing last week. Cuvet has no intention playing anywhere but Miami. I cannot comment on Torres, but he has about 15-20 family members at every single game. I cannot see him going anywhere (but that is just a guess based on observations).

So what are we targeting in the portal high level players or lower level players with something to prove?

Advertisement
Blake and Cuvet use the same agency. I was told the same thing last week. Cuvet has no intention playing anywhere but Miami. I cannot comment on Torres, but he has about 15-20 family members at every single game. I cannot see him going anywhere (but that is just a guess based on observations).

Blake is from Orlando. I'd be fine if he ends up at UCF, just tell him UiF/F$U are poison...

As you see names hop in, just know that Miami is taking a high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive approach to the Portal.

Everybody is aware of the results and they realize that we need drastic solutions. I am excited about the process. We will give you the most accurate information as this team is remade.
Any accurate information you can share with us is appreciated.

So what are we targeting in the portal high level players or lower level players with something to prove?
We are targeting slick fielding, strong armed "Miami" guys who went out of state to play baseball who want to come back home and play Infront of family. If you can't slide to one knee on a routine ground ball and rip a throw into the stands, take your %$# to Florida or FSU.

Advertisement
Has to be the biggest issue in terms of Miami compared to public universities especially the ones in-state.
I know this is a good discussion and maybe D$ should cover it in a podcast, because I would love to hear how Duke, Wake, Dallas Baptist, Rice, and a slew of other private schools do it (with smaller collectives).

Has to be the biggest issue in terms of Miami compared to public universities especially the ones in-state.

Few kids get a full ride and the difference in 10-20k per year and 70-80k per year… easy decision for most kids

The Weeks brothers grew up 3 streets over from me (though they were closer in age to my two youngest brothers) and went to my high school. Very poor/rough neighborhood. I highly doubt that Jemile could have afforded the rest of his UM tuition without Rickie's $3.6 million signing bonus.

is there no hope on changing Cyr's mind here?

Advertisement
is there no hope on changing Cyr's mind here?
I think they tried really hard, per his agent. I was told that if anyone says that JD or the Staff "pushed him out" or didn't try to get him to stay, it is BS. They tried. It wasn't about collective $$ or JD, per his agent, but just the kid needing a fresh start.

I know this is a good discussion and maybe D$ should cover it in a podcast, because I would love to hear how Duke, Wake, Dallas Baptist, Rice, and a slew of other private schools do it (with smaller collectives).

Duke, Wake, and Rice have massive endowment funds, and a lot more need-based scholarships (open to all students) than what Miami can offer.

Stanford - $36.5 billion
Notre Dame - $16.6 billion
Northwestern - $13.7 billion
Duke - $13.25 billion
Vanderbilt - $9.7 billion
Southern Cal - $7.5 billion
Rice - $7.25 billion
Boston College - $3.5 billion
TCU - $2.6 billion
Wake - $1.9 billion
Miami - $1.4 billion

Wake is about half the size of Miami (student body size).

I think they tried really hard, per his agent. I was told that if anyone says that JD or the Staff "pushed him out" or didn't try to get him to stay, it is BS. They tried. It wasn't about collective $$ or JD, per his agent, but just the kid needing a fresh start.
That’s interesting and sounds like they are trying to get in front of a possible narrative or perception. Or just they are sensitive and care that cis porsters are mean.

Advertisement
4 of the 8 CWS teams last year were private. 🤷‍♂️

Don't be that "but but but we had the #4 recruiting class" nitwit like another porster (or two) on the board.

It's an issue. Whether we compensate by taking a bunch of kids from wealthy private schools...well, you can see how that is working out for us...

Maybe not the only difference but one important one is those schools arent recruiting at a super high level. Lots of development in those programs.

Similar to something like Utah or Wisconsin in college football where they land some highly rated players and then get guys in the program for 3-4-5 years and they’re developed well and contribute at a high level in their older years

Cyr had 1 foot out the door last year and was almost an LSU tiger. This was a matter of time

Duke, Wake, and Rice have massive endowment funds, and a lot more need-based scholarships (open to all students) than what Miami can offer.

Stanford - $36.5 billion
Notre Dame - $16.6 billion
Northwestern - $13.7 billion
Duke - $13.25 billion
Vanderbilt - $9.7 billion
Southern Cal - $7.5 billion
Rice - $7.25 billion
Boston College - $3.5 billion
TCU - $2.6 billion
Wake - $1.9 billion
Miami - $1.4 billion

Wake is about half the size of Miami (student body size).
You don't need that much for baseball lol

Advertisement
Back