A note on the Portal...

Advertisement
**** losing Cyr stings. Really wanted that core of Cyr, Cuvet and Torres to remain intact and try to build around them. I know it's possible to turn around in 1 season (FSU) but feels like there are a ton of holes in this roster. Are there that many quality starting caliber guys that are going to come to Miami? Gna have to open up the checkbook pretty big it seems. Hope they do because this year sucked. Really enjoy watching/attending canes baseball games and didn't have any desire to this season

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** losing Cyr stings. Really wanted that core of Cyr, Cuvet and Torres to remain intact and try to build around them. I know it's possible to turn around in 1 season (FSU) but feels like there are a ton of holes in this roster. Are there that many quality starting caliber guys that are going to come to Miami? Gna have to open up the checkbook pretty big it seems. Hope they do because this year sucked. Really enjoy watching/attending canes baseball games and didn't have any desire to this season
I agree. Link build an entire line-up with 3 core guys (Smith, Tibbs, and Ferrer). That was 2,3, and 4 for much of the season. The rest was built from the portal - UNF, UCF, USF, Bama and JUCO. In fact, Link replaced 22 guys of the 35 man roster with portal guys, which is uber aggressive.

But he also developed guys - Cam Smith, Jamie Arnold. As JayCane pointed out - college baseball is all evaluating and development. Smith hit .250ish last year. Jamie Arnold was mid. We gotta get the right guys in the portal, but we have to develop the kids we recruit.

I agree. Link build an entire line-up with 3 core guys (Smith, Tibbs, and Ferrer). That was 2,3, and 4 for much of the season. The rest was built from the portal - UNF, UCF, USF, Bama and JUCO. In fact, Link replaced 22 guys of the 35 man roster with portal guys, which is uber aggressive.

But he also developed guys - Cam Smith, Jamie Arnold. As JayCane pointed out - college baseball is all evaluating and development. Smith hit .250ish last year. Jamie Arnold was (bad as a freshman). We gotta get the right guys in the portal, but we have to develop the kids we recruit.
I think the key there is the development. The guy brought ND to new heights. It's not like that program was turning out MLB players year in year out. 2 starters from his teams in 2022 and 23 left and went to UCF this year and it's not like those kids set the world on fire by moving down to UCF. Link just wins and develops what he has.

We’re back to the “scholarship limitations bro” arguments 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This program is a disaster. Period. Has been ran into the ground by multiple heads at this point. Enough with the scholarship limitation bull**** on why we can’t make a regional or get out of a regional

Yeah, because one of the nitwits on the board chose to bring it up in a failed effort to prove me wrong.

It's an issue, regardless of whether you think that's why we can't "make a regional" or "get out of a regional".

was really disappointing sitting and watching CBB this weekend knowing our once storied program was nowhere to be found in the top 64 teams....I hope whatever they do they let JD know this can't happen again or he can go to coaching HS somewhere.

there's no excuse why we should not be one of the top teams in the ACC and the Nation with the talent in S.Fla.

Advertisement
was really disappointing sitting and watching CBB this weekend knowing our once storied program was nowhere to be found in the top 64 teams....I hope whatever they do they let JD know this can't happen again or he can go to coaching HS somewhere.

there's no excuse why we should not be one of the top teams in the ACC and the Nation with the talent in S.Fla.
Not only not that but how far off it feels we are. I know **** can change pretty rapidly but it’s hard to swallow.

When I attended UM in the 90s, we were 147-45 and went to the CWS every year, losing by a walk off in '96. I'm still trying to get my head around what I witnessed this year.

Advertisement
Yeah, we were studying for the bar and everyone was watching the game at the Rat (those of us left on campus). We are all dazed and wrecked. Total disbelief. The walk off and the ending of the Fiesta Bowl were my 2 worst moments.

Fiasco Bowl '87. Fiasco Bowl '03. The Cleveland Gary non-fumble. George Teague vs. Lamar Thomas (not definitive, but a momentum-crusher). Warren ******* Morris hitting that walk-off HR.

Preemptive "we got this" thread, followed by the typical "we shouldn't mope about things we should clearly be ****ed about" post ...

Only to find out within 3 posts that one of our best players is in the portal...

We have FSU's turnaround blueprint -- other than the hiring of a successful coach part...

No excuses
youre a mope if you dont have extreme optimism regardless of results. JD is a horrible pitching coach and even worse head coach. only at UM

Advertisement
Back