A note on the Portal...

So Cyr and Torres in the portal...

.... Slurpers may want to abort this thread...

Nice try on the preemptive Miam's got this guysm, but even @ErickMarreroU is fearful of the 2025 season...

Not sure what is worse: Miami baseball or thinking dedicated fans were going to buy this ******* complete bull**** sales pitch
clown GIF

Me

Advertisement
Absolutely! I think JD has the emotion of a down comforter, but if he makes an effort to get it right, I support him. He wears the Miami uniform. Not like I am going to move to another team. You may not watch it, but you also are not going to go buy a Tennesse jersey.
I will point out that down comforters are generally, warm.

Haha, wake up and grab my Nespresso, only to see Tores has entered the portal. I will say it again, Cuvet is headed to LSU. Tommy Tank is getting drafted, and LSU is, well, LSU. There is no way a talent like that stays around for this sh** show.

Florida almost had a losing season and is now in the super regionals. It's too bad, college baseball and all sports are better when Miami is in the picture. I know Canesfreak says Cuvet isn't leaving, but I honestly don't know how or why he stays.

Canesfreak has enough credibility so i'll take him at his word on Cyr. Again, I hope Cyr tears it up next stop. I will be rooting for Hollywood. Go be great kid. I am seriously starting to rethink my "I am not going to cheer for another team" comment.

Here's to JD not taking a knee!

"If you had a system (in professional sports) where everyone was a free agent every year, do you realize what chaos it would be? (The leagues) would go away," Gilmore said. "You wouldn’t have those sports. If you did, in baseball it would be the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Dodgers, Texas, and the rest of the teams couldn’t compete. They could spend however much money they need to do it. That’s what’s going on right now. It’s not a level playing field. …

Advertisement
"If you had a system (in professional sports) where everyone was a free agent every year, do you realize what chaos it would be? (The leagues) would go away," Gilmore said. "You wouldn’t have those sports. If you did, in baseball it would be the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Dodgers, Texas, and the rest of the teams couldn’t compete. They could spend however much money they need to do it. That’s what’s going on right now. It’s not a level playing field. …

I don't understand this thinking. College football was like that. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and LSU (Now Georgia). Those teams were paying under the table, the NCAA knew it. But swept it under the rug because they were big draws for TV.

I know people hate Nevin Shapiro, but he spoke the truth about not being able to afford the payouts for kids against Alabama and LSU. NOW, yes, other schools can "Legally" get involved. I am so sick of people pouncing on this yet turned a blind eye to the bag man.

This guy would be a great candidate for the Miami job next year. F*&^ JD and Aroid.

Yeah, we were studying for the bar and everyone was watching the game at the Rat (those of us left on campus). We are all dazed and wrecked. Total disbelief. The walk off and the ending of the Fiesta Bowl were my 2 worst moments.
Couple of Natty's that should've been in the books.
Both games were won.
'Till they weren't.

I would hope the answer to that is "yes".
Torres hit .241, 1 HR in 21 ACC games this past season. Not sure what kind of market there is for him, but he is replaceable.He is limited because he can only play one position.
I'm also curious to what he is asking for $$ wise in the NIL? So many of these players get bad advice and end up in bad situations like in basketball and football once they enter the portal.

Advertisement
Haha, wake up and grab my Nespresso, only to see Tores has entered the portal. I will say it again, Cuvet is headed to LSU. Tommy Tank is getting drafted, and LSU is, well, LSU. There is no way a talent like that stays around for this sh** show.

Florida almost had a losing season and is now in the super regionals. It's too bad, college baseball and all sports are better when Miami is in the picture. I know Canesfreak says Cuvet isn't leaving, but I honestly don't know how or why he stays.

Canesfreak has enough credibility so i'll take him at his word on Cyr. Again, I hope Cyr tears it up next stop. I will be rooting for Hollywood. Go be great kid. I am seriously starting to rethink my "I am not going to cheer for another team" comment.

Here's to JD not taking a knee!
Cuvet is better than Tommy Tanks. If I were LSU, I'd be tampering with Cuvet and giving him whatever he wants NIL-wise.

Torres hit .241, 1 HR in 21 ACC games this past season. Not sure what kind of market there is for him, but he is replaceable.He is limited because he can only play one position.
I'm also curious to what he is asking for $$ wise in the NIL? So many of these players get bad advice and end up in bad situations like in basketball and football once they enter the portal.
You guys need to understand, baseball NIL isn't in the same universe as football and/or basketball. @Pitcher in the Rye I sent you a DM on this.

Yup, I didn’t have the stats but I didn’t remember him being very productive in league play… good luck to him but we can definitely upgrade

When I attended UM in the 90s, we were 147-45 and went to the CWS every year, losing by a walk off in '96. I'm still trying to get my head around what I witnessed this year.
we were having a pool party at my house for my daughter and her friends for her graduating from LSU when walker hit that home run...needless to say I still hear about that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As you see names hop in, just know that Miami is taking a high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive approach to the Portal.

Everybody is aware of the results and they realize that we need drastic solutions. I am excited about the process. We will give you the most accurate information as this team is remade.
You do great work for Canes fans, but talk is cheap. I hope you're not feeding us a company line, because this sure isn't starting well.

There are some high baseball IQ posters on this board, and nothing about the 2024 season/eye test screamed "high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive".

Lance isn't the only one from Missouri (pun intended).

You guys need to understand, baseball NIL isn't in the same universe as football and/or basketball. @Pitcher in the Rye I sent you a DM on this.
A good friend of mine is a huge Gator fan so I mentioned Cyr to him other day since they made a run last year and there was a rumor he’d enter this year. He told me their NIL sucks and they’re constantly begging him every week for money. So he personally doesn’t think Cyr will come unless it’s about winning.

Advertisement
A good friend of mine is a huge Gator fan so I mentioned Cyr to him other day since they made a run last year and there was a rumor he’d enter this year. He told me their NIL sucks and they’re constantly begging him every week for money. So he personally doesn’t think Cyr will come unless it’s about winning.

Because there is not a ton of money in ANY Baseball NIL program, I would be willing to hazard a guess that he ends up at UCF. State tuition, plus some local Orlando NIL opportunities (Cyr went to Windermere, where all the current and retired athletes live) are going to be better than almost anything else he can line up.

You do great work for Canes fans, but talk is cheap. I hope you're not feeding us a company line, because this sure isn't starting well.

There are some high baseball IQ posters on this board, and nothing about the 2024 season/eye test screamed "high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive".

Lance isn't the only one from Missouri (pun intended).
I get the frustration. I’m not feeding you the company line because I don’t know the company line, at least from the coaches’ side.

I do work closely with Canes Connection, and they are bringing an innovative approach to this process that goes beyond writing checks. I’m excited to see the results, but I understand the wait and see attitude.

Because there is not a ton of money in ANY Baseball NIL program, I would be willing to hazard a guess that he ends up at UCF. State tuition, plus some local Orlando NIL opportunities (Cyr went to Windermere, where all the current and retired athletes live) are going to be better than almost anything else he can line up.
Plus, Norberto probably recruited him.

Advertisement
Back