2018 nfl combine thread

Advertisement
**** I hate to say it but he didn't even beat Bo Scarborough and that guy is a 230+ pound bruiser!

That injury really set him back. He obviously needed more time to heal and get ready. He'll have to put in the work and shine at the UM Pro Day if he wants to get drafted.
I think scouts will take his injury into account. Mike Mayok commented that Walton looked really good on the field cone cutting drills.

Griffin running a 4.38 does not make Barkley's 4.41 any less impressive.
Griffin is faster than most people at the combine not just Barkley.

That's all well and good.

But Griffin's performance has sucked all the air out of the room. All the talk was about Barkley before, but not anymore.

And all those dudes would have been drafted without him. I think he only coached them for one year.

I'm not so sure of that. Chubb...for sure. The other three...maybe late...but they have definitely become more prominent in the process from their senior year through the off-season. What looked like later round choices are now all seemingly all R1 to R4 players.

They all had their best season under Patrick. That is pretty important of note and they all improved their draft stock. We can create an alternative narrative here, but what we have is pretty impressive.

Advertisement
what are you even talking about?. Thats his weight and he carries it well. He has shown his versatility. He can Be a 3-4 end or a 4-3 strongside end with ability to move inside on passing downs. Chad even did the olb drills and looked smoother than ***n Arden Key who is like 220 pds. What the **** are you talking about. Chad is a mid round guy and a 40 time wasnt changing that. He did well at the Combine. At the end of the day...another Liberty City kid will be drafted in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

I hope he goes in round 3. Good kid should present well in interviews. He may be a better pro if his music doesn't get in the way. I do think he has a lower floor so there is some risk taking him in the second or third.

I think scouts will take his injury into account. Mike Mayok commented that Walton looked really good on the field cone cutting drills.
I hope they do, he did look very smooth in some of the position drills. I still think it was a mistake for him to run at the combine coming off his injury. Pro day is another 3 weeks away and some extra time could have benefited him. I think he had everything to lose by running now vs waiting imo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
A few words of wisdom for the dummies in this thread who think Combine performances really determine where a player gets drafted.

I always get a good laugh when the draft comes around and shows just how far off the draft "experts" picks are from reality!

Advertisement
I hope they do, he did look very smooth in some of the position drills. I still think it was a mistake for him to run at the combine coming off his injury. Pro day is another 3 weeks away and some extra time could have benefited him. I think he had everything to lose by running now vs waiting imo.

Walton will be okay. Teams didn't think he'd be a speedster, but yes, hoped he'd run faster. Hopefully he can improve at pro day. With that said, teams already knew he's more quick than fast, is a great pass catching RB who is terrific in pass protection. Couple that w/the fact that special teams coaches will be going to war to get him on the team at the start of the 3rd round, and Mark will be fine.

If he looked really good in the cone drill cutting then that goes against the ankle injury having a big effect on his performance. It’s harder to cut sharply with a bad ankle than it is to run in a straight line.

Walton has never been fast. He succeeded on toughness and some quicks and hard work. Straight speed has never been a strength.

I'm not so sure of that. Chubb...for sure. The other three...maybe late...but they have definitely become more prominent in the process from their senior year through the off-season. What looked like later round choices are now all seemingly all R1 to R4 players.

They all had their best season under Patrick. That is pretty important of note and they all improved their draft stock. We can create an alternative narrative here, but what we have is pretty impressive.

College players, especially DL and OL, should be better in their final season naturally than they were the previous seasons.

It’s impossible to prove, but I can **** near guarantee you Mcintosh and Norton would be better players in 2018 than they were in 2017.

Advertisement
Paying too much attention to the underwear Olympics gets nfl guys fired all the time. They fall in love with guys like Mike Mamula and Blain Gabbert.
The combine is for 3 things, Medical evals, Interviews & to see if a guy can pass a Drug test.

The drills are only used to confirm what's already been seen on film. Putting up good numbers can help guys, but it won't hurt'em too much either.

Advertisement
actually thinking a 40 time/vert & Broad jump/ 3cone can't help or hurt someones draft grade is someone who is completely uninformed.
It literally happens on a yearly basis. If John Ross runs a 4.35, do you think he goes in the first round...and pick ******* 9 at that?

Anyone who thinks the combine performance - measurements/drills don't affect your draft grade are as wrong as you can be. If you think someone is not too explosive, but then at the combine they run 4.40 40, and jump 40" vert, and a 11'0" broad jump, well that should absolutely change your mind and make you rewatch the tape and see if you change your mind about the guy. Athleticism is a key aspect about the draft. Theres a reason why even if you are a trash football player, if your the most athletic person, you will be drafted.

You don't have to look very far at guys that will rise and fall due to the combine. I mean ****, Orlando Brown was pretty much assumed to be a 1st round OT (either 1st or 2nd OT off board), but he literally put up some of the worst combine numbers I've ever seen. Now I can see him falling to like the late 2nd/3rd round easily.
RISERS:
qb - Josh Allen
rb - Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman
wr - Courtland Sutton, DJ Moore, Dylan Cantrell
te - Mike Gesicki
ol - Kolton Miller, Desmond Harrison, Wyatt Teller, James Daniels
dl/edge - Josh Sweat, Harold Landry, Taven Bryan, Harrison Phillips
lb - Legithon Vander esch, Lorenzo Carter,
cb - Denzel Ward, Derwin James

Who's analysis yall think this is?

Sources Tell Us

"Should have stayed in. He needs to keep growing into his frame and get a lot stronger. You don't want to come out until you know you're ready to do battle against grown men and I don't think he's there yet." -- AFC Director of Scouting

Advertisement
Back