2018 nfl combine thread

Jonathan Allen was a ******* DT - 34DE! So what does it matter Chad timed better than him....Chad wants to be a 43 DE.

Again, why the **** is Chad 280lbs if hes doing LB drills? You don't see the **** problem with that? You don't see how being 10lbs heavier could reduce his 40 time and vert/broad jumps?

Come on dude. You seriously think he did good at the combine? Did you even look at his spider chart? The measurables are all good like I said, But his ******* actual athleticism testing results were pretty poor. a 4.91 40 for a SDE is not good. He clearly, basedon his combine numbers, isn't a very good athlete at 281lbs. And he doesn't NEED to be that heavy eithter. Its adding weight for no reason. 275lbs is the most he should be unless he's playing 34DE, like I said.

He never was that Athletic. Which is why im confused by the outrage...Him losing 10 pds wouldnt have changed much...he would have ran a 4.85? Chad never was a guy that timed well...since high school. Which is why the Lorenzo Carter's were ranked ahead of him. His strengths are his length, flexibility, and somewhat technique. Who said what he "wants" to be...Chad had two gapped 2 years while here...Kid CAN be a 3-4 de...or a strongside end...i dont know why you think of him just as a 4-3 end. Dude even did olb drills and looked solid doing it. I dont know what to say or what yall expected?. I didnt expect him to run sub 4.7...as it NEVER was him. His actual film is pretty good...and he had his way at East/West and began to at Sr Bowl. He's gone in the first 3 rounds regardless. 4th at the latest.

Advertisement
He never was that Athletic. Which is why im confused by the outrage...Him losing 10 pds wouldnt have changed much...he would have ran a 4.85? Chad never was a guy that timed well...since high school. Which is why the Lorenzo Carter's were ranked ahead of him. His strengths are his length, flexibility, and somewhat technique. Who said what he "wants" to be...Chad had two gapped 2 years while here...Kid CAN be a 3-4 de...or a strongside end...i dont know why you think of him just as a 4-3 end. Dude even did olb drills and looked solid doing it. I dont know what to say or what yall expected?. I didnt expect him to run sub 4.7...as it NEVER was him. His actual film is pretty good...and he had his way at East/West and began to at Sr Bowl. He's gone in the first 3 rounds regardless. 4th at the latest.

I honestly expected him to be around 265-270 and run in the 4.7's.

But I get your point. It's valid.

Who's analysis yall think this is?

Sources Tell Us

"Should have stayed in. He needs to keep growing into his frame and get a lot stronger. You don't want to come out until you know you're ready to do battle against grown men and I don't think he's there yet." -- AFC Director of Scouting
McIntosh

we just disagree. to me, he looked kinda fat. He should have run in the low 4.8s at least. And I think he could have if he came in 10lbs lighter. And a sub 30" Vert is literally terrible at his weight regardless. But I absolutely think it would have been higher had he been 10lbs less.

Just to put it in perspective, Do you know how many DE's had a sub 30" vert jump the other day? ZERO.
Do you know who the ligthest other DLineman to jump sub 30" was? Andrew Brown, who weight 296lbs.
The average weight of all 11 sub 30" jumpers by DLineman not including Chad Thomas was 312lbs....Chad was 281lbs.

I could do the same thing with his 40 time too. And I agree he looked good in the actual positional drills. But he absolutely is more athletic than this combine performance would have you think. I think he really ****ed up by coming in too heavy, and that he could slide in the draft due to this performance. Though if he imrpves enough at the proday this could just be an nothing.

Advertisement
You should ask those guys what round Orlando Brown was projected to go 2 weeks ago, and then ask what he's projected to go today...Then keep up this whole the combine doesn't matter act bruh.

I'm not saying its the most important thing. But acting like it doesn't matter is just wrong.
Never said it didn't matter, I said it can help guys to a certain degree but it isn't the main determining factor in what gets guys drafted or not, unless they're borderline 6-7th rounders. GM's can use it to drive the value of a guy down which they do on purpose sometimes so they can get a player at a lower price tag.

You know who used to worship combine workout numbers & valued it over game film? Al Davis. It's the reason why a bust like Darius Heyward Bey got drafted so high, he killed it at the combined but his film showed he had no business being drafted in the 1st round.

Bums like EJ Manuel, Jake Locker & Blaine Gabbert all tested great at the combine, as soon as they hit league people who correctly evaled them immediately knew they couldn't play & would bust.

**** even a great GM like Ozzie Newsome messed up & trusted workout numbers over tape when he drafted Breshad Perriman. Perriman tested off the charts, but anybody who watched him at UCF knew he wasn't no 1st round WR. He was fast as **** but had bricks for hands & limited route running ability. I'm a Ravens fan I watch every game & see Perriman get out physicaled by smaller DB's who aren't half as fast as him because he can't play a lick.

The overwhelming majority of GM's, personnel executives & HC's will tell you themselves tape supersedes all. Combine confirms what's already been seen. The tape is the story, combine numbers are the footnotes.

On field performance is always first, but the combine is always a balance to the production. The problem comes when one is weighted too highly over the other.

Looking too much at the combine, not enough at the tape, can get you a Darrius Heyward Bey or Phillip Dorsett. Looking too much at the tape, not paying enough attention to the measurables can get you Peter Warrick or Mike Williams.

Big mistakes are made both ways all the time - it's such an inexact science.

The top guys coming in to the combine usually remain the top guys, unless they have awful workouts.

Where the big difference comes in is you might have 5-6 guys at a position rated pretty similarly, somewhere in that 3rd/4th round range. Each have some questions marks about them. A great workout can propel a 3rd/4th to a solid 2nd round grade, and an awful workout can then drop a guy to a 5th/6th. If there's guys GM's aren't quite sold on, the workout can make a huge difference.

Advertisement
Never said it didn't matter, I said it can help guys to a certain degree but it isn't the main determining factor in what gets guys drafted or not, unless they're borderline 6-7th rounders. GM's can use it to drive the value of a guy down which they do on purpose sometimes so they can get a player at a lower price tag.

You know who used to worship combine workout numbers & valued it over game film? Al Davis. It's the reason why a bust like Darius Heyward Bey got drafted so high, he killed it at the combined but his film showed he had no business being drafted in the 1st round.

Bums like EJ Manuel, Jake Locker & Blaine Gabbert all tested great at the combine, as soon as they hit league people who correctly evaled them immediately knew they couldn't play & would bust.

**** even a great GM like Ozzie Newsome messed up & trusted workout numbers over tape when he drafted Breshad Perriman. Perriman tested off the charts, but anybody who watched him at UCF knew he wasn't no 1st round WR. He was fast as **** but had bricks for hands & limited route running ability. I'm a Ravens fan I watch every game & see Perriman get out physicaled by smaller DB's who aren't half as fast as him because he can't play a lick.

The overwhelming majority of GM's, personnel executives & HC's will tell you themselves tape supersedes all. Combine confirms what's already been seen. The tape is the story, combine numbers are the footnotes.
Not to mention the interviews. Tape shows physical ability. Nowadays, interviews probably carry more weight than the measurables at the combine. Think Baker Mayfield. Has all the measurable but question marks with character.

Delaney definitely helped himself. still think it will be a tough proposition for him to be on a 53 man roster come the start of the season but who knows what can happen, hope to see him end up in a good situation

we just disagree. to me, he looked kinda fat. He should have run in the low 4.8s at least. And I think he could have if he came in 10lbs lighter. And a sub 30" Vert is literally terrible at his weight regardless. But I absolutely think it would have been higher had he been 10lbs less.

Just to put it in perspective, Do you know how many DE's had a sub 30" vert jump the other day? ZERO.
Do you know who the ligthest other DLineman to jump sub 30" was? Andrew Brown, who weight 296lbs.
The average weight of all 11 sub 30" jumpers by DLineman not including Chad Thomas was 312lbs....Chad was 281lbs.

I could do the same thing with his 40 time too. And I agree he looked good in the actual positional drills. But he absolutely is more athletic than this combine performance would have you think. I think he really ****ed up by coming in too heavy, and that he could slide in the draft due to this performance. Though if he imrpves enough at the proday this could just be an nothing.

Yea we definately disagree. Because you likely put more on the "combine/workouts" when im a FILM GUY. This is part of the reason there are so much GARBAGE scouts and gms in the NFL...that guys like Allen Hurns go undrafted.

Ok for example...your all in on this VERT as well. Chad is **** near 6'6 with long *** Arms..does his vert really really matter anywhere other than the off season when hes playing pickup basketball games?.

You put wayyyyyy to much stock in the combine for Chad or lineman on the whole...it aint that serious. That film doesnt lie...he was disruptive when ask to do things in our scheme. Alot of the same things he'll be ask to do in the NFL. Him being 10 pds lighter, only to have to put those 10 pds right back on when drafted doesnt make much sense either way. I'll say he had an avg combine...didnt hurt himself at all. Likely interviewed well, and showed different abilities that they may have not expected. I know it was a sight to see a 6'5 280 guy show ability to turn and drop in the flats and catch a ball cleanly...even if he wouldnt be looked at as an OLB.

This happens EVERY YEAR on this board..Guys downplay our guys in the draft only to claim them later in some bazaar NFL U thing when they perform well in the nfl. Not saying you...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree, nothing he could do next year would help. If he stayed, I think he would be coming off the bench watching LO. Similar to Yearby who if he came back would be backing up Walton. It made sense in my head. Not so much reading it back. My bad.

Listen, he had no good reason to come back and put more mileage on his body, but you're out of your mind crazy if you believe he Walton was going to be sitting behind Lingard.

Matt Miller put out a post combine full mock:

Buccaneers - Round 3 - Pick 69 (Nice) - Mark Walton, RB (6th RB taken)
Cincinnati - Round 3 - Pick 77 - Chad Thomas, EDGE (8th EDGE taken)
Cleveland - Round 4 - Pick 101 - RJ McIntosh, DL (11th DL taken)
Arizona - Round 4 - Pick 134 - Kendrick Norton, DL (15th DL taken)
Arizona - Round 5 - Pick 152 - Chris Herndon, TE (7th TE taken)
Houston - Round 6 - Pick 214 - KC McDermott, OG (14th OG taken)
Cleveland - Round 7, Pick 219 - Braxton Berrios, WR (28th WR taken)

Undrafted:
Anthony Moten, DT
Trevor Darling, OG
Trent Harris, DE
Dee Delaney, CB
Michael Badgley, K

My man Toolbox Trent needs a chance. The guy produces

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...matt-millers-7-round-predictions-post-combine

Listen, he had no good reason to come back and put more mileage on his body, but you're out of your mind crazy if you believe he Walton was going to be sitting behind Lingard.
I love Walton. That said, remember this when you see Lo doing all kinds of supernatural things on the field next year. He's no ordinary Freshman. Cat is special, I believe more so than anyone since Willis and Frank. Time will tell.

Advertisement
Back