2018 nfl combine thread

Walton had nothing left to prove at the collegiate level. Another year wasn't going to make him taller or heavier. Running backs have a short shelf-life in the NFL, Walton made the right choice going pro early.

Say that to Sony Michel. He played himself into a first rounder this past year.

Advertisement
The reality is, he should’ve stayed. It’s a deep draft class, and he could’ve used a true breakout year to pad stats on a good team. He’s basically Devonta Freeman...but he’ll most likely drop to the 6th round.

I get the personal situation/motivation , but I think he made a mistake

Stayed and do what?

Advertisement
**** I hate to say it but he didn't even beat Bo Scarborough and that guy is a 230+ pound bruiser!

That injury really set him back. He obviously needed more time to heal and get ready. He'll have to put in the work and shine at the UM Pro Day if he wants to get drafted.

I don't know why people thought he was some freak athlete before the injury. He has always been small, he has always been slow (relatively). But he has always played hard, had a lot of pride and a lot of heart.

The reality is, he should’ve stayed. It’s a deep draft class, and he could’ve used a true breakout year to pad stats on a good team. He’s basically Devonta Freeman...but he’ll most likely drop to the 6th round.

I get the personal situation/motivation , but I think he made a mistake
Mark Walton is exactly the kind of guy that had no reason to come back. There was nothing to gain by adding stats, because his physical measurables would not have substantively improved. Realistically, the best argument for him coming back was to avoid this running back draft class, or to get his degree if he doesn't have it.

He is an excellent cane but anyone who has watched him and seen a future first round pick is either being a homer, or doesn't actually know what they are looking at.

Advertisement
Stayed and do what?
Produce at a high level.

He’s leaving with plenty of questions.

You guys sit here and act like it’s literally impossible to improve draft stock from on year to the next. That’s dumb.

If you want to go the “rb shelf life is short, don’t waste time” angle, that’s fine. I disagree, but I understand the logic. But this idea that he wouldn’t have improved his stock with another year of tape is dumb. Straight stupid.

I don't know why people thought he was some freak athlete before the injury. He has always been small, he has always been slow (relatively). But he has always played hard, had a lot of pride and a lot of heart.

Mark Walton is exactly the kind of guy that had no reason to come back. There was nothing to gain by adding stats, because his physical measurables would not have substantively improved. Realistically, the best argument for him coming back was to avoid this running back draft class, or to get his degree if he doesn't have it.

He is an excellent cane but anyone who has watched him and seen a future first round pick is either being a homer, or doesn't actually know what they are looking at.

He’s going to be a 6th round pick. I don’t know why anyone would leave early for the 6th round. But hey, I understand your point. I just think He could’ve used some great pub by being a key player on a winning team. That always helps draft stock.....which helps $

He’s going to be a 6th round pick. I don’t know why anyone would leave early for the 6th round. But hey, I understand your point. I just think He could’ve used some great pub by being a key player on a winning team. That always helps draft stock.....which helps $
People shouldn't be leaving early to be a 3rd round pick (outside of running backs), let alone a 6th round pick. And helping money is only really applicable when you are talking about jumping from late rounds into the top two, which he would not have done.

And I don't think you do understand my point at all if you think being a good player on a good team will make a difference in his case specifically.

He has already put together a highlight tape. He has already been a feature back. He has already rushed for over 1000 yards, caught balls out of the back field, blocked for the quarterback. His individual draft stock (disregarding the rest of the RB class) would not have been any better post-combine testing if he had stayed healthy and rushed for another 1000 this year, or come back and done it next year. He is limited by his physical measurements. A quick look back at the last ten years of NFL drafts have an extremely low number of guys with his combination of size and speed being taken in the first two rounds. Therefore, the money difference is barely relevant in his first contract as it relates to his earnings potential in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
People shouldn't be leaving early to be a 3rd round pick, let alone a 6th round pick. And helping money is only really applicable when you are talking about jumping from late rounds into the top two, which he would not have done.

And I don't think you do understand my point at all if you think being a good player on a good team will make a difference in his case specifically.

He has already put together a highlight tape. He has already been a feature back. He has already rushed for over 1000 yards, caught balls out of the back field, blocked for the quarterback. His individual draft stock (disregarding the rest of the RB class) would not have been any better post-combine testing if he had stayed healthy and rushed for another 1000 this year, or come back and done it next year. He is limited by his physical measurements. A quick look back at the last ten years of NFL drafts have an extremely low number of guys with his combination of size and speed being taken in the first two rounds. Therefore, the money difference is barely relevant in his first contract as it relates to his earnings potential in the NFL.
That depends. EVERY Rb should declare early, unless they were injured the entire season and are likely to go undrafted.
For RBs you absolutley declare early if you will be drafted in the 3rd round. Secondly Mark Walton is not going to be a 6th round draft pick. I think he goes 5th round at latest tbh.

Walton is more of a 4.5 guy and you’ll see it at the proday. He’s coming off not one, but 2 bum ankles, one with surgery. Think about that.

The further out he gets from the injuries, the faster he will run. Remember, 2 ankles, he ran half the season on one bum ankle as it was before he injured the other. That’s going to affect your 40 time so soon after.

Advertisement
That depends. EVERY Rb should declare early, unless they were injured the entire season and are likely to go undrafted.
For RBs you absolutley declare early if you will be drafted in the 3rd round. Secondly Mark Walton is not going to be a 6th round draft pick. I think he goes 5th round at latest tbh.
I actually intended to say BESIDES running backs and actually edited that back in. trust me, I am on team go pro if you are a running back, and am in full support of the decision by Walton to come out this year.

Tried to tell you guys Walton was a 4.6 guy. He’ll make a team as a special teams monster in the exhibition season. He’s a dog on specials.

btw Walton below average in EVERY combine drill.

avg: 40= 4.53...bench=20.4...vert=35.1"...broad=9'11"

Walton: 40=4.60...bench=18...vert=31.5"...broad=9'10"

Advertisement
Back