2015 DB McFadden is Elite

Advertisement
Since we're comparing the kids, I'll get this off my chest...

This is what gets me about the recruiting sites, recruiting gurus, etc etc etc.

This kid is a 5-star CB for no reason other than the fact that he's 6'3" and is decently athletic. His production at CB is mediocre at best. His technique is flawed. He's not fast. He gets beat more than a "top Corner" should.

Then you look at the kid who plays/played opposite him. Finishes his high school career with 25 interceptions, snags 9 his Senior year (leads the state), wins County DPOY and yet he's issued 3 stars and probably considered a "project" because he's only 5'10" 170lbs.

You got people who will choose one kid over the other because of stature and/or will say "well he's a freakin 5 star! He's way better!"

IMO the stars should be issued based on a combination of ability, size and productivity. Of course that would require the guys who issue the stars to actually know what they're looking at. A lot of fans don't get to watch these kids play so they trust the evaluations of guys like Bluestein and the likes. These guys don't know football. They capitalize off the naivety of fans and you guys continue to buy their BS.

This is the reason you'll see unheralded guys go to some mid-tier college and then get drafted and everybody's like "Where'd this kid come from?"

(not trying to make this a McFadden vs. Dowels debate but their situation is a perfect reference)

Where did Dowels end up?

This kid is a 5-star CB for no reason other than the fact that he's 6'3" and is decently athletic. His production at CB is mediocre at best. His technique is flawed. He's not fast. He gets beat more than a "top Corner" should.

Then you look at the kid who plays/played opposite him. Finishes his high school career with 25 interceptions, snags 9 his Senior year (leads the state), wins County DPOY and yet he's issued 3 stars and probably considered a "project" because he's only 5'10" 170lbs.

You got people who will choose one kid over the other because of stature and/or will say "well he's a freakin 5 star! He's way better!"

IMO the stars should be issued based on a combination of ability, size and productivity. Of course that would require the guys who issue the stars to actually know what they're looking at. A lot of fans don't get to watch these kids play so they trust the evaluations of guys like Bluestein and the likes. These guys don't know football. They capitalize off the naivety of fans and you guys continue to buy their BS.

This is the reason you'll see unheralded guys go to some mid-tier college and then get drafted and everybody's like "Where'd this kid come from?"

(not trying to make this a McFadden vs. Dowels debate but their situation is a perfect reference)

Yea you snapped!! Good S#!t right there! +1

Where did Dowels end up?

Syracuse.

(odd, I know, but he loved it up there)

Advertisement
Im from broward county played ball in broward county and have played the cb position...seen mcfadden play multiple times seen him camp settings and games...is he pat johnson (peterson) no but hes good enough to play at UM UF FSU and ive seen a bunch of dbs...everyone is entitled to their opinion

And I'm sure yours is unbiased.

I am just like based off the game film Ive looked at 2 kids outta texas are the most complete cbs in the country...

It's before my days but was Moss an example of "couldn't do it" or was he just never given the opportunity in Carol City's (I want to say CC but maybe I'm wrong) system? I don't know the answer but I'm sure some of you will remember.

Many players blossom in college no player in high school is a finish product...coaching gets better at every level

Advertisement
Many players blossom in college no player in high school is a finish product...coaching gets better at every level

Who?

Who was a totally different (better) player in college than he was in high school?

I've coached, and coached against, many kids on Miami's team and other teams from across the country. I've watched most of these kids from the time they were Juniors in high school. These kids play relatively the same now as they did in high school. Yes, they get bigger and their technique is refined but they still play with the same ability and same tendencies.

Who?

Who was a totally different (better) player in college than he was in high school?

I've coached, and coached against, many kids on Miami's team and other teams from across the country. I've watched most of these kids from the time they were Juniors in high school. These kids play relatively the same now as they did in high school. Yes, they get bigger and their technique is refined but they still play with the same ability and same tendencies.

So by your estimation he wont be anything special at any school he goes to? Good chance we will play him every year anyway

He played in the Wing-T.

Exactly.

You said if they can't do it in HS, that they can't do it in College...so you mean to tell me that Santana mastered the route tree playing in CC's Wing-T?

I agree with you about Dowels though, no way in **** that kid should've only been a 3*, He's electric.

Advertisement
He played in the Wing-T.

Exactly.

You said if they can't do it in HS, that they can't do it in College...so you mean to tell me that Santana mastered the route tree playing in CC's Wing-T?

I agree with you about Dowels though, no way in **** that kid should've only been a 3*, He's electric.

Dude, that's apples vs. oranges.

We're not talking about learning a route tree, we're talking about physical ability.

Who?

So by your estimation he wont be anything special at any school he goes to? Good chance we will play him every year anyway

Judging by what I've seen thus far, I'm inclined to believe that he won't live up to his billing. At least not at CB.

I've never seen decent high school player turn into "special" college players. Usually "special" college players were special in high school too.

Advertisement
McFadden will be fine.

BTW...JC Jackson victimized Dowels in that Immokalee game, too.

You mean the vertical/fade down the sideline where JC Jackson pushed off of Dowels and then caught the jump ball for a whopping 12 yard gain?

Ok. LOL. Other than that junkyard play Dowels shut Jackson completely down.

If you call THAT "victimizing" then what do you call what happened to McFadden? Murder?

Last edited:
McFadden will be fine.

BTW...JC Jackson victimized Dowels in that Immokalee game, too.

You mean the vertical/fade down the sideline where JC Jackson pushed off of Dowels and then caught the jump ball for a whopping 12 yard gain?

Ok. LOL. Other than that junkyard play Dowels shut Jackson completely down.

If you call THAT "victimizing" then what do you call what happened to McFadden? Murder?

I didn't see a push-off on that catch over Dowels...but I did see one on McFadden on that 1st TD. And on that 2nd TD, I think McFadden was expecting help over the top. He actually had decent position, just didn't finish. Didn't see anything on those hightlights that can't be corrected.

Last edited:
You guys still arguing with CItyboy? smh.. I remember city boy telling me that Ray Ray wasn't a good fit at linebacker...

Tarvarus projects better to safety, and we have better targets at that position were after.

As for Dowels, I don't get why we didn't go after him, reminds me how we ****ed up on guys like Patrick, Denard and Hosley back in the day. Leggett not being able to qualify. I still don't get how JC went to UF, could have sworn he was all-cane. One **** up we could not control was the miss of Vernon Hargreaves, Coker decided to can his dad back in the day, kid would have came here.

Howard, Burns and Elder ain't no slouches as prospects obviously. But some of those guys we missed on do hurt anyways.

Think a great class at corner would be Cole, C. Davis and D. Davis. Which is very realistic and an A+ haul.

And at safety Jaquan, Tim and maybe Burgess-Becker which would be A++

We win games, we can make it happen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back