2015 DB McFadden is Elite

Dowels is gone now so he has no one to protect or hide him, so we can see how he does this season

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
McKenzie was 5'8, receivers are getting taller. You need tall corners to guard tall receivers.

Receivers have been 6'2"+ for a long time now.

Why haven't we seen the same evolution from the CB position?

Cause you can't find guys who are 6'1"+ with the quickness and feet to play CB.

Ahhhhhh, I see:

Syracuse, N.Y. — Juwan Dowels drew the assignment the moment he stepped onto the practice field for American Heritage High School. Its coach, Mike Rumph, already possessed one of the top junior prospects in the country in defensive back Tarvarus McFadden. To find out if he had a second lockdown cornerback, Rumph stuck Dowels on a receiver named Isaiah McKenzie, a four-star recruit who is deciding between Notre Dame, Mississippi and Florida.

By the end of the week, Dowels did not allow McKenzie to catch a single ball, Rumph said. Whether that's slightly laced with hyperbole is inconsequential. As Rumph described it, the Dowels-McKenzie battles were like an alley cat fight, both competitors going at each other day in, day out under the hot Florida sun.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_football_recruiting_c_1.html

Nobody on that team could cover McKenzie, including McFadden.

Rumph said he, himself, couldn't cover that kid in his prime.

Advertisement
I think this kid at the very least can be similar to xavier rhodes..mcfadden would make plays in lsu bama fsu schemes plus he's raw clay...is he as technique savvy as cole no but once mcfadden learn from elite defensive staff he will be a beast

Here's what's funny...

A lot of you guys didn't want Quincy Wilson because he wasn't a true CB but now yall want McFadden.

And Quincy wasn't an elite CB for the same reasons McFadden isn't an elite CB. (except Wilson's actually better) LOL

I think this kid at the very least can be similar to xavier rhodes..mcfadden would make plays in lsu bama fsu schemes plus he's raw clay...is he as technique savvy as cole no but once mcfadden learn from elite defensive staff he will be a beast

Based on what?

Cause he's 6'3" and runs in the 4.6 range?

And what's with this notion that he's not currently being developed? He's got like 3 former NFL guys on his coaching staff. His head coach is a former 1st round draft pick at DB.

Advertisement
Here's what's funny...

A lot of you guys didn't want Quincy Wilson because he wasn't a true CB but now yall want McFadden.

And Quincy wasn't an elite CB for the same reasons McFadden isn't an elite CB. (except Wilson's actually better) LOL
I didn't want either guy. I don't know what some other folks were seeing in either Wilson/McFadden to claim they wanted them.

I guess they saw that Wilson was a legacy decent player, and that McFadden is highly rated, but other than that...no real football reasons to severely want them on our team.

We want to talk about elite Florida CB's that I wish were on this team? Let's start the conversation with VH3...not these two.

Since we're comparing the kids, I'll get this off my chest...

This is what gets me about the recruiting sites, recruiting gurus, etc etc etc.

This kid is a 5-star CB for no reason other than the fact that he's 6'3" and is decently athletic. His production at CB is mediocre at best. His technique is flawed. He's not fast. He gets beat more than a "top Corner" should.

Then you look at the kid who plays/played opposite him. Finishes his high school career with 25 interceptions, snags 9 his Senior year (leads the state), wins County DPOY and yet he's issued 3 stars and probably considered a "project" because he's only 5'10" 170lbs.

You got people who will choose one kid over the other because of stature and/or will say "well he's a freakin 5 star! He's way better!"

IMO the stars should be issued based on a combination of ability, size and productivity. Of course that would require the guys who issue the stars to actually know what they're looking at. A lot of fans don't get to watch these kids play so they trust the evaluations of guys like Bluestein and the likes. These guys don't know football. They capitalize off the naivety of fans and you guys continue to buy their BS.

This is the reason you'll see unheralded guys go to some mid-tier college and then get drafted and everybody's like "Where'd this kid come from?"

(not trying to make this a McFadden vs. Dowels debate but their situation is a perfect reference)

Based on what?

And what's with this notion that he's not currently being developed? He's got like 3 former NFL guys on his coaching staff. His head coach is a former 1st round draft pick at DB.

So we **** on a kid who isnt even in college and that coaches all across the southeast who have been putting studs in the league at db want when they can easily go after other long 6'2 prospects...just saying i trust coaching at the college level more than in the hs ranks regardless of who is coaching him now. Kid is gonna start at a major BCS school and while it may not be miami he will still be a good one.

Advertisement

Based on what?

So we **** on a kid who isnt even in college and that coaches all across the southeast who have been putting studs in the league at db want when they can easily go after other long 6'2 prospects...just saying i trust coaching at the college level more than in the hs ranks regardless of who is coaching him now. Kid is gonna start at a major BCS school and while it may not be miami he will still be a good one.

And what I'm telling you is, the reason he's not an elite CB right now has little to do with coaching.

You guys act like any kid with some athletic tools can be coached up. If that was the case then they'd ALL be studs. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that most of the kids turn out to be the same player they were in high school. They get a little bigger, they get a little stronger, but for the most part they have the same ability and same tendencies that they did in high school.

If they can't guard elite WR's in high school they can't guard them in college. Show me a kid who couldn't do something in high school that can now do it in college.

Since we're comparing the kids, I'll get this off my chest...

This is what gets me about the recruiting sites, recruiting gurus, etc etc etc.

This kid is a 5-star CB for no reason other than the fact that he's 6'3" and is decently athletic. His production at CB is mediocre at best. His technique is flawed. He's not fast. He gets beat more than a "top Corner" should.

Then you look at the kid who plays/played opposite him. Finishes his high school career with 25 interceptions, snags 9 his Senior year (leads the state), wins County DPOY and yet he's issued 3 stars and probably considered a "project" because he's only 5'10" 170lbs.

You got people who will choose one kid over the other because of stature and/or will say "well he's a freakin 5 star! He's way better!"

IMO the stars should be issued based on a combination of ability, size and productivity. Of course that would require the guys who issue the stars to actually know what they're looking at. A lot of fans don't get to watch these kids play so they trust the evaluations of guys like Bluestein and the likes. These guys don't know football. They capitalize off the naivety of fans and you guys continue to buy their BS.

This is the reason you'll see unheralded guys go to some mid-tier college and then get drafted and everybody's like "Where'd this kid come from?"

(not trying to make this a McFadden vs. Dowels debate but their situation is a perfect reference)

Preach mane

Im from broward county played ball in broward county and have played the cb position...seen mcfadden play multiple times seen him camp settings and games...is he pat johnson (peterson) no but hes good enough to play at UM UF FSU and ive seen a bunch of dbs...everyone is entitled to their opinion

Im from broward county played ball in broward county and have played the cb position...seen mcfadden play multiple times seen him camp settings and games...is he pat johnson (peterson) no but hes good enough to play at UM UF FSU and ive seen a bunch of dbs...everyone is entitled to their opinion

And I'm sure yours is unbiased.

Advertisement
Back