2/7 Wake Forest @ 7:00 PM (ESPN 2)

New Mexico State is an embarrassing loss if you know absolutely nothing about basketball, which unfortunately a lot of our students don't. They're 20-3, 7-0, have an RPI of 45, and are ranked 29th in the AP Poll. Georgia Tech is our "worst" loss.

They lost to every good team they faced. I believe L when he said the team lost because they where tired, but to say NM is a good team is false.

Advertisement
New Mexico State is an embarrassing loss if you know absolutely nothing about basketball, which unfortunately a lot of our students don't. They're 20-3, 7-0, have an RPI of 45, and are ranked 29th in the AP Poll. Georgia Tech is our "worst" loss.

They lost to every good team they faced. I believe L when he said the team lost because they where tired, but to say NM is a good team is false.

Well they didn't lose to every good team they faced. They did beat Miami. And that's looking like a nice win. But yes the rest of their resume doesn't look too impressive. But the GT loss is worse in my opinion. They're not good and we were down all game to them.

Rick B. will remain the best player in program history, until someone joins him in the hall of fame. That said, Lonnie is a unique talent, and fans shouldn't take him for granted. For us that suffered through the Clark/Haith years, and stuck with this program, we can't for the life of us understand why people don't support this team. The product is **** good, the Watsco Center is a great place to watch a game, and this team is nationally relevant. It's further proof that the old "Win and they will come" narrative that our fans love to push is complete nonsense. Unless Miami is playing a big name team, in a nationally televised game, fans won't care, nor will they show up.

In Barry's Senior year (mine too), he averaged 37 ppg and 18 rpg. For his UM career, he averaged 30 ppg and 17 rpg. With NO 3 point shot!! Won an NBA title, MVP of the Finals, 8x NBA All Star, NBA steals leader one season, and made the 50th Anniversary NBA Team. Great passer as well. Lonnie's got just a little ways to go.

If you wanna complain about someone's play against WF, that would be Amp. Newton played a very good game!

As a basketball player IV has a long way to go to match Barry. As a human being, IV has Barry beat by a country mile.

Never met either but ... you definitely could be right! Lonnie seems like a great young man; a credit to his parents and community. We're talking on the court production here though. All sorts of HoF players who had their personal frailties. Barry is certainly not alone in that regard; in fact, he's more likely among the majority. BTW, at UM, he was elected to Iron Arrow so that should tell you something too.

Barry is a flaming douche bag of the highest level.

**** him. His name should come up as an offensive word on this board.

So, the ONLY UM basketball player to ever make a name for himself in any big way is reviled by his own school's few fans? What's his crime? Treated poor little Jon and Scooter and whoever else in his family poorly after a divorce? Boo hoo. So, he has a big ego. So do 95% of the rest of big stars in any profession.

So, the ONLY UM basketball player to ever make a name for himself in any big way is reviled by his own school's few fans? What's his crime? Treated poor little Jon and Scooter and whoever else in his family poorly after a divorce? Boo hoo. So, he has a big ego. So do 95% of the rest of big stars in any profession.

Does this legend help the U in 2018?

Advertisement

I said it's not an embarrassing loss. They're going to end the season with close to 30 wins and they'll be like an 11 seed in the tourney. Sorry, it's not embarrassing. Losing to 8-22 team from their conference would be bad.

He's treated his alma mater like ****.

Oh yeah? Like how. You could say UM treated him like **** by never offering him the HC job (or offering a less than insulting salary) over the last 33 years when we've hired some real beauts! Especially back in the 80s when his name still meant a lot!

Does this legend help the U in 2018?

Hey, I'm not the one who brought his name up in this thread. As far as involvement with the U, I'm not at all sure who is to blame for any estranged relationship. Don't automatically assume it is Rick.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I said it's not an embarrassing loss. They're going to end the season with close to 30 wins and they'll be like an 11 seed in the tourney. Sorry, it's not embarrassing. Losing to 8-22 team from their conference would be bad.

They play in WAC!! GT would probably have a similar amount of wins if they played in that conference. Again, I understand why we lost. We flew halfway around the world and where tired after tons of road games. They practiced the morning of and got gassed. The point I'm trying to make is that the reason students aren't going to games is because we are barely ranked(which happens when you lost to GT and NMS). It happens every year where we lose to teams we shouldn't lose to. Once we are solidly ranked we will pack out games against any team.

They play in WAC!! GT would probably have a similar amount of wins if they played in that conference. Again, I understand why we lost. We flew halfway around the world and where tired after tons of road games. They practiced the morning of and got gassed. The point I'm trying to make is that the reason students aren't going to games is because we are barely ranked(which happens when you lost to GT and NMS). It happens every year where we lose to teams we shouldn't lose to. Once we are solidly ranked we will pack out games against any team.

GT lost to Grambling

Oh yeah? Like how. You could say UM treated him like **** by never offering him the HC job (or offering a less than insulting salary) over the last 33 years when we've hired some real beauts! Especially back in the 80s when his name still meant a lot!

They probably didnt want him teaching the entire team to shoot foul shots granny style. Kidding, but seriously he lost his Cane card when his son went to Florida in my opinion.

Advertisement

GT lost to Grambling

That is an embarrassing loss for them. Like I said above, I think both the GT and NM state losses where bad.

GT lost to Grambling

That is an embarrassing loss for them. Like I said above, I think both the GT and NM state losses where bad.

My point is (and, seriously, I'm done after this) that NMSU will be a 11-12 seed. Not a 15 seed. They're just a conference champ. It's not a horrible loss.

Advertisement

GT lost to Grambling

My point is (and, seriously, I'm done after this) that NMSU will be a 11-12 seed. Not a 15 seed. They're just a conference champ. It's not a horrible loss.

Fine its just a bad loss not embarrassing. Regardless its part of the reason why the stands have not been filled. Which is the only point I was arguing. I am saying that once we start only losing to top teams(and a loss here and there to lower caliber teams) Miamis stands will be filled. I was on campus back when we went to the sweet 16 with Larkin. The beginning of the season we had quite a few hiccups and no one was talking about the basketball team. Right before the duke game we became ranked and there was some murmurs around campus about how we are turning into a basketball school(people where ****ed about the bowl ban and that we lost to VA and UNC). Then we beat Duke shot up the ranks and kids where walking around with Canes jerseys everywhere(those ones with the picture of the Ibis on the back). Everyone on campus was talking about Miami Basketball, Larkin, and Laranaga. Even when we lost to Wake, Duke, and some other awful team no one cared because we where still ranked and about to win the ACC. It just got bigger and bigger until we lost in the sweet 16. My point is if you want fans to fill the stadiums we need to be ranked. If you are a bubble 25 team fans will go, but once your ranked for a couple weeks the stadium will be packed and campus will be talking about the team.

GT lost to Grambling

Fine its just a bad loss not embarrassing. Regardless its part of the reason why the stands have not been filled. Which is the only point I was arguing. I am saying that once we start only losing to top teams(and a loss here and there to lower caliber teams) Miamis stands will be filled. I was on campus back when we went to the sweet 16 with Larkin. The beginning of the season we had quite a few hiccups and no one was talking about the basketball team. Right before the duke game we became ranked and there was some murmurs around campus about how we are turning into a basketball school(people where ****ed about the bowl ban and that we lost to VA and UNC). Then we beat Duke shot up the ranks and kids where walking around with Canes jerseys everywhere(those ones with the picture of the Ibis on the back). Everyone on campus was talking about Miami Basketball, Larkin, and Laranaga. Even when we lost to Wake, Duke, and some other awful team no one cared because we where still ranked and about to win the ACC. It just got bigger and bigger until we lost in the sweet 16. My point is if you want fans to fill the stadiums we need to be ranked. If you are a bubble 25 team fans will go, but once your ranked for a couple weeks the stadium will be packed and campus will be talking about the team.

I'm pretty sure the kids who don't go to some of the games, have no idea we lost to NM State

Advertisement
Back