2/7 Wake Forest @ 7:00 PM (ESPN 2)

I expect, at a minimum, a 4-3 finish leaving the team 22-8. That would make Larranaga a 20 game winner at Miami in 6 of the 7 years he has been here. What a great hire. I think we will actually win 23 games with an outside shot at 24 games. As far as the game itself, I am kind of ****ed at the fans. There were WAY too many empty seats tonight. Since the season tickets were sold out, that means people not only didn't go to the game but they also didn't give the tickets they had away to someone who could have sat in those seats. I mean come on. If you can't make it, give them to friends or some poor kids or something. Don't let them be empty for TV games especially. The number 25 team in the country doesn't deserve not to play in front of a packed house every game. That is just ridiculous. Oh and if I were anywhere near Miami, and I had a chance to see Lonnie Walker play, I would never miss a game. He may be the best UM player in history.

Rick B. will remain the best player in program history, until someone joins him in the hall of fame. That said, Lonnie is a unique talent, and fans shouldn't take him for granted. For us that suffered through the Clark/Haith years, and stuck with this program, we can't for the life of us understand why people don't support this team. The product is **** good, the Watsco Center is a great place to watch a game, and this team is nationally relevant. It's further proof that the old "Win and they will come" narrative that our fans love to push is complete nonsense. Unless Miami is playing a big name team, in a nationally televised game, fans won't care, nor will they show up.

Yes and it will never change accept it. The good news is for the diehards like us, it is easy to get tickets and for a very affordable price.

The win and they will come narrative does not apply to a team that is hovering around 25th. Once we are actually ranked the whole season then we will fill the stands. Remember how packed the stands where at the beginning of the season before we had those embarrassing losses? Personally I would go to every game if I lived in Miami, but this is Miami and we need to accept that until we are a top 15 team we will not pack stadiums.

Advertisement
I really don't care if fans are upset about not getting a football recruit, or whatever. If you paid for the **** ticket, and you ain't going to use it, give it to someone who will show up. That is my beef. I live not far from George Mason University and know what a great coach Larranaga is and how much class he has brought to this program. He has built an absolute winner here. And that ain't easy to do in the ACC. Ask Danny Manning the opposing coach tonight. He was the greatest college player of his generation. It isn't easy to build a program up. Not only did Larranaga do it immediately but he has sustained it through his tenure. I just wish people were more supportive and appreciative of what is happening before their very eyes.

What embarrassing losses? GT? Sure that is a head scratcher. But Clemson (ranked 16), Duke (ranked #9
), N Mexico State (also receiving votes in last poll) and Florida State (also receiving votes latest poll) away are not an embarrassing loss. It hurts to lose those close games but I wouldn't call those four losses embarrassing.

I expect, at a minimum, a 4-3 finish leaving the team 22-8. That would make Larranaga a 20 game winner at Miami in 6 of the 7 years he has been here. What a great hire. I think we will actually win 23 games with an outside shot at 24 games. As far as the game itself, I am kind of ****ed at the fans. There were WAY too many empty seats tonight. Since the season tickets were sold out, that means people not only didn't go to the game but they also didn't give the tickets they had away to someone who could have sat in those seats. I mean come on. If you can't make it, give them to friends or some poor kids or something. Don't let them be empty for TV games especially. The number 25 team in the country doesn't deserve not to play in front of a packed house every game. That is just ridiculous. Oh and if I were anywhere near Miami, and I had a chance to see Lonnie Walker play, I would never miss a game. He may be the best UM player in history.

Rick B. will remain the best player in program history, until someone joins him in the hall of fame. That said, Lonnie is a unique talent, and fans shouldn't take him for granted. For us that suffered through the Clark/Haith years, and stuck with this program, we can't for the life of us understand why people don't support this team. The product is **** good, the Watsco Center is a great place to watch a game, and this team is nationally relevant. It's further proof that the old "Win and they will come" narrative that our fans love to push is complete nonsense. Unless Miami is playing a big name team, in a nationally televised game, fans won't care, nor will they show up.

Yes and it will never change accept it. The good news is for the diehards like us, it is easy to get tickets and for a very affordable price.

The win and they will come narrative does not apply to a team that is hovering around 25th. Once we are actually ranked the whole season then we will fill the stands. Remember how packed the stands where at the beginning of the season before we had those embarrassing losses? Personally I would go to every game if I lived in Miami, but this is Miami and we need to accept that until we are a top 15 team we will not pack stadiums.

500+ posts in less than a month? Impressive for a troll

Every post you make is dumber than the last. What embarassing losses? I guess every team in the country outside of the Top 4-5 has a bunch of embarassing losses by your definition. And arguing semantics between a Top 15 and Top 25 team? This team will probably be right around 15 if we win this weekend.

If we play a top team, the stands will be filled. If not, they won't. I know you don't get it but that's how it's been for a long time here

What embarrassing losses? GT? Sure that is a head scratcher. But Clemson (ranked 16), Duke (ranked #9
), N Mexico State (also receiving votes in last poll) and Florida State (also receiving votes latest poll) away are not an embarrassing loss. It hurts to lose those close games but I wouldn't call those four losses embarrassing.

Yep, here's the RPI of our losses:

Duke, 7
Clemson, 4
FSU, 41
NMSU, 45
GT, 139

So 1 (as in a single) bad loss, and that was on the road. Even the 2012-13 team had a worse loss (vs Indiana St)

Advertisement
The animosity toward Newton is beyond hilarious. Read the thread and you'd think he was the worst player on either team and spilling it all over the place.

Then the summary: Newton had 16 points and 0 turnovers.

Walker still has long stretches when he has no idea what he is doing out there. Everyone else was sensing the opportunity to drive to the bucket against Wake Forest. But Walker too often would stop the dribble and fail to impose himself. Consequently he had 11 points at halftime yet was still stuck at 11 points deep into the second half. That as much as anything allowed an inferior team to creep back into the game.

I didn't understand the bigs rotation early in the game, with Miller entering before Izundu. Seemed like Larranaga was overconfident in this game and felt he could tinker around without risk.

Then late in the game with free throws so crucial we had Waardenburg on the bench too often and likewise DJ. We shouldn't be inbounding the ball to guys like Huell with 30 seconds remaining in a tight game and after a time out. That late defense was so terrible anyway, with Wake Forest scoring 20 points in the final 2+ minutes. DJ wasn't going to hurt anything and we might have cinched the game earlier from the line.

I will say that our inbounds strategy and spacing is far superior to recent seasons, when we stood around and had to heave the ball down the court so often.

L brought Miller in for Huell's first breather last game as well. I assume he figures they are non critical minutes.

Good ACC teams are now tinkering their lineups all the way into the ACC Tournament so i wouldn't worry about that. What I would worry about is what happens with 7 minutes or so left in every game. We are slowing down waaaay too early and deliberately going into our 1/2 court offense which is awful. Good teams will beat us late almost every if we continue this. This team has to move

Advertisement
Without Brown, I don't really care how we win, as long as we win. We're 18-5, 7-4, all alone in 4th and .5 a game out of 3rd (though Duke has the tiebreaker). Our RPI is 20, our BPI is 23. We're ranked 25. If we beat BC (which we can), all those numbers will go up a little, setting up a HUGE game against what will likely be #1 Virginia. Barring an epic collapse, we're in the NCAAT. Now, we're pretty much playing for seeding. The next month will tell us whether we're a 4 seed or a 9 seed. Right now we're a 5-6 seed.

Without Brown, I don't really care how we win, as long as we win. We're 18-5, 7-4, all alone in 4th and .5 a game out of 3rd (though Duke has the tiebreaker). Our RPI is 20, our BPI is 23. We're ranked 25. If we beat BC (which we can), all those numbers will go up a little, setting up a HUGE game against what will likely be #1 Virginia. Barring an epic collapse, we're in the NCAAT. Now, we're pretty much playing for seeding. The next month will tell us whether we're a 4 seed or a 9 seed. Right now we're a 5-6 seed.

I agree with this. Plus, I do like that several of our guys (Sam, DJ, Lykes and Amp) have stepped up their offensive production and efficiency in Bruce's absence. Hopefully, when Bruce returns, we aren't so dependent on his offensive production, since it might be off a bit. We certainly can use his defensive prowess.

Waardenburg's emergence has been huge. Without Brown, I was worried that our depth would be non-existent, so it's nice to have another contributor step up like this.

I'm not quite convinced we're in the tourney yet, even with a BC win. But the schedule is set up nicely for us and we should be able to notch enough Ws in the final weeks.

Waardenburg's emergence has been huge. Without Brown, I was worried that our depth would be non-existent, so it's nice to have another contributor step up like this.

I'm not quite convinced we're in the tourney yet, even with a BC win. But the schedule is set up nicely for us and we should be able to notch enough Ws in the final weeks.

We're not in it yet, but we'd have to basically lose out, or win 1-2 games only to not make it.

Advertisement

In Barry's Senior year (mine too), he averaged 37 ppg and 18 rpg. For his UM career, he averaged 30 ppg and 17 rpg. With NO 3 point shot!! Won an NBA title, MVP of the Finals, 8x NBA All Star, NBA steals leader one season, and made the 50th Anniversary NBA Team. Great passer as well. Lonnie's got just a little ways to go.

If you wanna complain about someone's play against WF, that would be Amp. Newton played a very good game!

Last edited:

In Barry's Senior year (mine too), he averaged 37 ppg and 18 rpg. For his UM career, he averaged 30 ppg and 17 rpg. With NO 3 point shot!! Won an NBA title, MVP of the Finals, 8x NBA All Star, NBA steals leader one season, and made the 50th Anniversary NBA Team. Great passer as well. Lonnie's got just a little ways to go.

If you wanna complain about someone's play against WF, that would be Amp. Newton played a very good game!

As a basketball player IV has a long way to go to match Barry. As a human being, IV has Barry beat by a country mile.

As a basketball player IV has a long way to go to match Barry. As a human being, IV has Barry beat by a country mile.

Never met either but ... you definitely could be right! Lonnie seems like a great young man; a credit to his parents and community. We're talking on the court production here though. All sorts of HoF players who had their personal frailties. Barry is certainly not alone in that regard; in fact, he's more likely among the majority. BTW, at UM, he was elected to Iron Arrow so that should tell you something too.

Advertisement

500+ posts in less than a month? Impressive for a troll

Every post you make is dumber than the last. What embarassing losses? I guess every team in the country outside of the Top 4-5 has a bunch of embarassing losses by your definition. And arguing semantics between a Top 15 and Top 25 team? This team will probably be right around 15 if we win this weekend.

If we play a top team, the stands will be filled. If not, they won't. I know you don't get it but that's how it's been for a long time here

You sound like someone who never went to the games. When I was on campus I went to every game I could. You have no idea what your talking about. When the team started off the season well and got ranked early and stayed ranked the games where packed and everyone on campus was talking about them. When we are bouncing between #24 and unranked the whole season no one talks about the basketball team. Thats the way it is. NM state is an embarrassing loss and the fans don't care that coach L had them practice before the game and they where tired. They only see the L. GT was the other bad loss. You can think whatever you want, but I'm stating facts. The AP seems to think our losses are worse then the other 24 teams and thats what your average fan thinks as well.

New Mexico State is an embarrassing loss if you know absolutely nothing about basketball, which unfortunately a lot of our students don't. They're 20-3, 7-0, have an RPI of 45, and are ranked 29th in the AP Poll. Georgia Tech is our "worst" loss.

Agree with the just win mantra. Some ugly spots last night, but we have those in every game. Every win is a good win.

Never met either but ... you definitely could be right! Lonnie seems like a great young man; a credit to his parents and community. We're talking on the court production here though. All sorts of HoF players who had their personal frailties. Barry is certainly not alone in that regard; in fact, he's more likely among the majority. BTW, at UM, he was elected to Iron Arrow so that should tell you something too.

Barry is a flaming douche bag of the highest level.

Advertisement
Back