CANES snag a preferred walk on from Asheville via Fork Union

Joaquin Gonzalez = walk on. He was one of the best OL we ever had. Sometimes they workout and earn a scholarship... Sometimes they don't. Obviously this kid loves the []_[] or he wouldn't be paying his own way. Kid most likely contacted the coaches, sent film of himself, and said he would walk on and pay his own way. You don't just walk in to a private schools football team unless you love the **** outta that school.. Aka "dream school." Either way these are the types of kids golden wants anyways... Let him help. Welcome to the []_[]

This.

Especially with OLs, I've seen too many come out of HS as 4 and 5 stars that become ordinary in college: Anthony Lewis was 2nd team USA Today A-A at Brockton MA and sat on the bench at UM. One recruiting service had Robert Sampson a 5 star and sat the bench at UM. Even Claude Jones and Rudy Barber were good, solid players at UM, and never became the superstars they were in HS.

On the other hand, Gonzalez was an extraordinary find. Especially given his academics could have had him playing at Harvard. (Why he passed up a Harvard degree, I don't know, but that's just me. As much as I support UM, it's degree is not Harvard.) I don't remember McKinnie's name as a HS recruit, and he became one of the best ever. Leon Searcy did not make the recruiting lists his senior year in Orlando. Believe me, I subscribed to every newsletter and his name was nowhere to be found.

I really think you can develop OLs with coaching and hard work if they have some physical tools (size, flexibility, strength, desire, feet.)

Advertisement
He won't be here his jr year w/out a ship unless his parents are loaded. Most don't make it that long unless they have money, are local and commute, can get other scholarship money, etc.
I don't think we are going to have to "rely" on walk ons to get thru any sanctions.
We didn't have all that many during butch's time.

But we had some, I think. What was the name of that wrestler and fullback we had when Butch was here? You know, the guy from Buffalo. I think he might have been a walk-on. Not a great player but he helped us.

Louis Oliver started out as a walk-on at UF. Then he became a first round draft choice.

Albert Bentley was a walk-on at UM.

It's only a small percentage that become outstanding players, or even game day contributors, after starting as walk-ons, but it is something we have to do with scholarship reductions.

You should look at the current roster. There are tons of names of kids I know are walk-ons. Very few play in games, I guess, other than perhaps on field goals and PATs, maybe, but they're important for scout team purposes. You always have to have walk ons, and now we hope that some might actually become game day players.

I've got the name of the fullback who wrestled: Kevin Brinkworth. I'm not sure if he's a walk-on. He actually came to UM before Butch and before probation (1991).

Last edited:
Carlos Huerta
Santana Moss
Joaquin Gonzalez
About 1400 long snappers
And a whole bunch of unheralded kids who helped the program by doing the dirty work on the scout team

And many more.

Moss was never a legit walk-on. He was a football walk-on. He was scheduled to be here on a track scholarship as a way to circumvent our football scholarship limitations. His scholarship became a football scholarship the minute he set foot on the field, which was early in his true freshman year.

Popovich was a walk-on who helped us though some tough times with scholarship limitations.

And this guy isn't a legit walk-on. He's a preferred walk on that has been invited to join the team 6 months before he even steps on campus.

He runs like he has a muscle disease in his legs or something.

Advertisement
Preferred Walk-On is what I like about this...If he was on scholly, this would be a No-No and very Shannon-esque this time of year.

Advertisement
yeah change it to walk on....

but anyway he doesn't sound like a total bum state Wrestler ....not bad

These are the type of guys you need to win a championship.

“I had a few offers, but I wanted to follow my dream and play football for Miami. I know the program has struggled lately, but hopefully we can come in here and change that.”

He will do WHATEVER it takes, imo. May not have the talent, but will push those that do.

Advertisement
so what exactly does being a preferred walk-on entail?

Thanks I'll hang up and take my answer off-line

Advertisement
I love it. Big kid who turned down offers to walk-on at Miami. Good for him. Hope he turns out good enough to play some while wearing the 'U'.

These are the type of guys you need to win a championship.

“I had a few offers, but I wanted to follow my dream and play football for Miami. I know the program has struggled lately, but hopefully we can come in here and change that.”

He will do WHATEVER it takes, imo. May not have the talent, but will push those that do.

Are you serious?

Advertisement
Back