CANES snag a preferred walk on from Asheville via Fork Union

Seems like a good pickup. I like wrestlers on the lines. Solid frame. What's not to like? Doesn't cost a ship. If he's good enough, he'll get one. If not, not.

And potential OC/LS is a big plus.
Agreed, and he comes from a good program. If nothing else I like seeing Golden snagging kids out of VT and UVA's backyard.

Advertisement
He won't be here his jr year w/out a ship unless his parents are loaded. Most don't make it that long unless they have money, are local and commute, can get other scholarship money, etc.
I don't think we are going to have to "rely" on walk ons to get thru any sanctions.
We didn't have all that many during butch's time.

That's presumptuous to start planning his transfer. Plenty of kids get generous aid and scholarship packages that make UM financially competitive with the subsidized state schools. We have upper class men who are walk ons now.

He won't be here his jr year w/out a ship unless his parents are loaded. Most don't make it that long unless they have money, are local and commute, can get other scholarship money, etc.
I don't think we are going to have to "rely" on walk ons to get thru any sanctions.

I would assume his parents are pretty well off as Asheville School (not to be confused with Asheville High) aint cheap! I would assume he was a day student. Best I can find there are no Athletic schoolys avail.

http://www.ashevilleschool.org/admission/app_tuition.aspx

The annual tuition for the 2012-2013 school year is $43,800 for boarding students and $25,605 for day students. For boarders, tuition charges cover all instruction, room and board, student activities, health services at the infirmary, and most athletic equipment. The charges for day students cover instruction, board, student activities and most athletic equipment.

I asked Andrew Pearson A C-T blog writer if he had anymore info on the commit & he responded with this (kinda generic):

Andrew says:
January 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm

According to this father, Shiver had at least 5 full scholarship offers but opted to walk-on at Miami. Really can’t shed any more light on the decision-making process than that.

Last edited:

At least let him get on campus first before u write him off.

I'm not seeing the negative feedback. there is no downside. we get a guy to push our other guys. work hard. pays his own way. provides a little depth and we get to see if we get gem. Welcome to the U!!

Advertisement
Carlos Huerta
Santana Moss
Joaquin Gonzalez
About 1400 long snappers
And a whole bunch of unheralded kids who helped the program by doing the dirty work on the scout team

And many more.

There was a flyer for OL walk ons last year for guys like 235 and up. Definitely better to have this guy than that.

That's presumptuous to start planning his transfer. Plenty of kids get generous aid and scholarship packages that make UM financially competitive with the subsidized state schools. We have upper class men who are walk ons now.

Agree. UM hands out plenty of competitive aid.

Advertisement
Carlos Huerta
Santana Moss
Joaquin Gonzalez
About 1400 long snappers
And a whole bunch of unheralded kids who helped the program by doing the dirty work on the scout team

And many more.

Moss was never a legit walk-on. He was a football walk-on. He was scheduled to be here on a track scholarship as a way to circumvent our football scholarship limitations. His scholarship became a football scholarship the minute he set foot on the field, which was early in his true freshman year.

Popovich was a walk-on who helped us though some tough times with scholarship limitations.

Carlos Huerta
Santana Moss
Joaquin Gonzalez
About 1400 long snappers

And many more.

Moss was never a legit walk-on. He was a football walk-on. He was scheduled to be here on a track scholarship as a way to circumvent our football scholarship limitations. His scholarship became a football scholarship the minute he set foot on the field, which was early in his true freshman year.

Popovich was a walk-on who helped us though some tough times with scholarship limitations.

thank you for pointing that out. for real that part about Moss needed some clarification bc it was entirely misleading

You're doing the toad version of just what you complain about others doing, which is getting all negative and pretending to know the future. Why go there? You don't know what will happen in 3 years with this kid.

Advertisement
Carlos Huerta
Santana Moss
Joaquin Gonzalez
About 1400 long snappers

And many more.

thank you for pointing that out. for real that part about Moss needed some clarification bc it was entirely misleading

The Santana Moss as a walk-on legend has been growing like a weed on message boards. That dude was never ever going to be a walk-on.

Joaquin Gonzalez = walk on. He was one of the best OL we ever had. Sometimes they workout and earn a scholarship... Sometimes they don't. Obviously this kid loves the []_[] or he wouldn't be paying his own way. Kid most likely contacted the coaches, sent film of himself, and said he would walk on and pay his own way. You don't just walk in to a private schools football team unless you love the **** outta that school.. Aka "dream school." Either way these are the types of kids golden wants anyways... Let him help. Welcome to the []_[]

Gonzalez came a FULL Academic scholarship with housing stipend and he was a local kid. But he ended up on Scholarship by his Soph yr. Remember right after S&C the biggest part to a players physical development is the training table meals which is not allowed to be provided to Walkons so that will hurt his further development someone what. But we need bodies on the OL for the practice squad also, which was one of the reasons Briscoe was moved from DL to OL. But the from stats sheet on this kid he seems strong and also plays with good leverage and balance since they list his position as center I am thinking they stick in the Utough program an see if he can develop into either a center or a 2 gap NT back up he is doesn't have the explosion of JJ Watts but he may be just as country strong.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Good get?
Next jj watt?
If he was the next jj watt, he'd have a ship.
How do u know he will be awarded one next year?
I don't have a problem w a preferred walk on. Doesnt cost us a ship, we can evaluate him for a year or 2. But, the odds are he's more likely not to earn a ship. How many do? Very few.
Hope it's a great find by Al.

Was about to neg you...but then again, this is what I expect from you

You would neg your own mother if she was telling the truth... what can we expect more from you

Holy ****. 3 pages on this? this is awesome. We may have to start putting ads on each page. $!

Quite a bit of banter for sure. I talked to my daughter at App about the kid. She was, is, in the know about N Buncombe athletics as she was Female athelete of the year as a SR. He spent 2 yrs there. She said he was a good kid in the classroom, played FB & ran track, competed with a mean streak, Had a nonstop motor, his parents are extremly wealthy, & his sister goes to fsu. Imo wosrt case scenario is this kid contibutes for 4 yrs on the scout team.

Advertisement
Back