CANES snag a preferred walk on from Asheville via Fork Union

Advertisement
video's old but seems like a strong kid with low center of gravity, OL/C all the way

Noticed a bit of a mean streak in him. I really know nothing of him even though he is from my current back yard. The overall quality of HS ball in WNC is pretty poor. Asheville (Pagan bama) & Reynolds (Council nd) are fairly decent teams. I wonder if this kid has been to the campus? Even though Weaverville is 15 minutes from Asheville it is quite red. Hoping someone can shed some light on how he got on our radar.

Advertisement
Seems like a good pickup. I like wrestlers on the lines. Solid frame. What's not to like? Doesn't cost a ship. If he's good enough, he'll get one. If not, not.

And potential OC/LS is a big plus.

Hard-working kid, paying his own way (minus merit or academic money from UM) and obviously wants to be a Cane, prepped at a top program for a year, potential long-snapper . . . no lose situation. Welcome to the U!

You guys need perspective. This is a WALK ON. a freebie. Programs need walk ons to help on the scout team, push other players. They are important and we've always been behind other big time programs (possibly due to being and expensive private school) in developing a legit walk on program. Look at the SEC, OK, NEB and what they do.

Besides, sometimes you get a kid in and he develops or was a hidden gem. It's a numbers game. This kid was recruited by Clemson a bit last year. You never know when a Longshot is going to come through.

Welcome to the U.

Advertisement
Seems like a good pickup. I like wrestlers on the lines. Solid frame. What's not to like? Doesn't cost a ship. If he's good enough, he'll get one. If not, not.

And potential OC/LS is a big plus.

Yep, plus the fact that he went from a 220+ pound good athlete to a now 300+ pound good athlete in 2 short years. Could be a nice diamond in the rough find.

wrestler.jpg

Advertisement
People complaining about him when he is paying his own way, SMH! Some fans are total fools.

Hard-working kid, paying his own way (minus merit or academic money from UM) and obviously wants to be a Cane, prepped at a top program for a year, potential long-snapper . . . no lose situation. Welcome to the U!

Advertisement
Like the Butch years, we'll have to load up on these type kids to survive the scholly hits.I think he may earn a scholly by the time he's a junior to help pay for the last 2 years of college.

Joaquin Gonzalez = walk on. He was one of the best OL we ever had. Sometimes they workout and earn a scholarship... Sometimes they don't. Obviously this kid loves the []_[] or he wouldn't be paying his own way. Kid most likely contacted the coaches, sent film of himself, and said he would walk on and pay his own way. You don't just walk in to a private schools football team unless you love the **** outta that school.. Aka "dream school." Either way these are the types of kids golden wants anyways... Let him help. Welcome to the []_[]

He won't be here his jr year w/out a ship unless his parents are loaded. Most don't make it that long unless they have money, are local and commute, can get other scholarship money, etc.
I don't think we are going to have to "rely" on walk ons to get thru any sanctions.
We didn't have all that many during butch's time.

Advertisement
Back