Why don't we love Hard Rock?

I LOVE THE PARKING LOT
blue light lights GIF by Polizei_Ffm

Advertisement
My friend, these are completely false analogies.

You are comparing traditional, small town, hokey pokey, southern ***, college teams to the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. You cannot compare those schools and their facilities, as well as their neutral facilities, to the University of Miami, which is a completely different entity in and of itself, unique in all of college football.

Those of us that attended the school, and go to games, know the difference. So do those of us that live in the 305 and never attended the school, but identify with it as part of the fabric and the culture of the 305.

Miami will never be comparable to Oxford, Mississippi, or State College, Pennsylvania, or Athens, Georgia.

That’s why these arguments are so ridiculous. We will never be that, and in fact, that’s what makes our fanbase and team so unique and when we’re good, so rabid.

We are not a traditional college football entity. And that’s part of the attraction, if you don’t get that.

Y do u always do this? Y can’t u stay on subject & topic w/o offering unnecessary information that has absolutely chit to do w/ the point?

For the record, I’m from Chicago & live in Los Angeles, & spent **** near every Fall in Miami from 1992-2007. I don’t need to keep hearing about “not traditional”; I’m extremely familiar w/ the landscape, & live in the 2nd biggest City in America.

Back to the point; I specifically laid out the reason y HRS is more of a neutral field vs. a home field. I provided other NFL stadiums that’s been used by several Universities for neutral site games FOR CONTEXT. HRS is a stadium that we happen to occupy as tenants, but the renovations that Blake James tried to promote as benefiting us had NOTHING to do w/ us, & everything to do w/ the NFL telling Ross his stadium sucked! If he wanted to host another SB, he needed to modify it. So what did he do? He turned it into Dolphins’ World. More power to him, but that’s the point. It has chit to do w/ where the stadium is located, or how “untraditional” Miami is as a city/school, & EVERYTHING to do w/ the fckin stadium in regards to The School.

Yes, we have no other option, but two things can be true at the same time; it don’t have to be an either or. The ones who will slit their wrist to stay here is due to CONVENIENCE FOR THEM. That’s fine, idgaf; but any honest, objective fan clearly would agree this not a home stadium for us from the aesthetics & available paraphernalia alone!! For God’s sake, we have our ring of honor banner held up by some staples, bubble gum, & masking tape!

Oh and another FYI; if I were take the 1937-82; 04-07 teams home record into consideration at the OB: even though we sucked, we still accumulated a .610 win% and avg. margin defeat of 12 ppg. Since 2008, we have a .690 win% at HRS, and avg. margin of defeat of 15 ppg. In fact, historical losses have been set at HRS in only 15 yrs vs. the 70 yrs at the OB w/ the vast majority of those teams from 1937-79 completely sucking ***. ****, we’ve never been undefeated at HRS, yet somehow we went undefeated at home at the OB in ‘38, ‘54, ‘79’, & ‘81 (we weren’t even known as The U then). Due w/ that as u will, but stop trying to mischaracterize my post by adding elements I’m not remotely stating or arguing

They don’t get it and that’s the problem. They want this University to be something it will never be, instead of embracing what it is. The University of Miami, like Southern Cal, like UNLV, Georgetown and St John’s are city schools. The fanbases view it as more of a transitory thing, if the team isn’t entertaining, they won’t show up. The schools I listed aren’t traditional college programs, nor are they pro franchises, they are firmly in the middle. It’s a unique hybrid.

Slap urself for remotely comparing Miami to USC. They ain’t the same. Unlike Miami, USC actually took that part of L.A and have made it into a city, college town. Unlike Miami, they stayed on The State of CA, The City of Los Angeles, & The County of Los Angeles’ head (pause) to take over The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum & its adjacent properties for decades until finally becoming the leasing partners w/ control, & is now bank rolling from multiple streams of income, including the brand new MLS Futbol field that’s built next to The Coliseum.

The problem is Miami, despite being a premiere destination think small, & that’s how u fall behind. It has nothing to do w/ it being in a major city & everything to do w/ shortsighted visions.

I live in Miami Gardens, went to Norland. Only went to the original Orange Bowl once as a younger kid. Been to the Panthers, UNC & Duke's stadiums (all against Miami when I was stationed in NC.) Went to Hard Rock plenty of times, as far as the recent renovations, I think I've been 3-4 times. The atmosphere is so energetic and electric when the fans are there. Absolutely loved the place and in comparison, the UNC/Duke games felt nothing like Hard Rock (even while packed). Panthers game had relatively the same energy. Maybe I'm VERY biased because I'm a Dolphins fan as well as living close to the stadium...but I love that stadium and when its popping, its FUN
man i aint never hear no 1 say they lived in Miami Gardens n went to Norland.

Boy u from Norland...aint no such thing as Miami Gardens to anyone over 30

Advertisement
as someone who went to the 2017 Notre Dame game(who has gone to many home and road UM games as a resident of Los Angeles) I said to myself that night, ''if Miami can ever get this thing right, this can be a consistently great atmosphere."

to me, it's not about the stadium, or where its at - it's the product/team

I like Hard Rock, the new renovations are great, it fits Miami/South Florida. It's a fun place to be for tailgates (and I know they do some stuff with the parking passes that have upset people, I get it). I do think the school needs to do a better job with the bells-and-whistles in terms of the music they play, the lighting, etc. Create a real atmosphere that fits the South Florida culture. (such as playing 'Take it to the Limit' from the Scarface soundtrack, seriously, every time I hear that song I think of Miami. But anything that gets the crowd going). But just coming out through the smoke is no longer enough. You have to make this a bit of showbizz. Many other programs have really ramped up this aspect.

But Miami is not a college town -- they will never sell-out every game - and it's not even really like USC. I live about 10 minutes from their campus. And the Coliseum, while not technically on-campus, is a relatively short walk up Figeuroa Blvd

But guess what, when they were in the last days of Paul Hackett and more recently, Clay Helton, their attendance had signficant drops. I'll say it again-- winning matters in cities like Miami and Los Angeles, more than many other smaller towns

To me, this upcoming Texas A@M game is a huge one. If not the biggest home game since that Notre Dame game, perhaps more like the Virginia Tech game from the week before that season. Every man, woman and child (who can) needs to be out there and provide that home field emotion/advantage that the Aggies got last year at Kyle Field. I'm flying out because, well, Im a glutton, but I also feel like I have some sort of obligation as a fan as funny as that sounds

Hard Rock can be a great home for the Miami Hurricanes. Ive seen it first hand.

Last edited:
Like all of us, I loved the OB. Nothing will ever compare when it comes to in-game environment. That said, I have no issue with the club level experience at Hard Rock.

its a doggone shame that 'the Grand Ol' Lady' is no longer standing. I mean, it hosted Super Bowl 3(one of the most important games in football history), the 1984 Orange Bowl (which launched a legendary dynasty), 58 game home winning streak, and even Aaron Pryor-Alexis Arguello

Many other muncipalities would've made the Orange Bowl a protected historical site...

Short answer, no. The attendance is directly linked to the team's success. It doesn't matter where they build the stadium, if they go 5-7 it will be empty. The could put a stadium in Boca and it would have 50,000 people every week if they were contending.

I looked up our attendance in the 2001 season, far from capacity, which was telling to me. Of course, the only decent team they played in the OB that year was the rescheduled Washington game. Miami is Miami, it's just....different

Advertisement
man i aint never hear no 1 say they lived in Miami Gardens n went to Norland.

Boy u from Norland...aint no such thing as Miami Gardens to anyone over 30

I'm 28 bro. This **** got changed up so much that i just go with Miami Gardens. Even the optimist park went from North Dade to Miami Gardens, was never called Norland as far as I can remember. People love to call the Norland Middle area part of Norwood too sometimes. Only thing that bothers me is when people call it Carol City for obvious reasons

I looked up our attendance in the 2001 season, far from capacity, which was telling to me. Of course, the only decent team they played in the OB that year was the rescheduled Washington game. Miami is Miami, it's just....different
Who’s on the schedule also plays a big role. Every other year there’s an attendance bump when FSU is on the home schedule. Look at attendance for the 2002 season.

. ****, we’ve never been undefeated at HRS, yet somehow we went undefeated at home at the OB in ‘38, ‘54, ‘79’, & ‘81
We’re talking about undefeated at home? 2017 team won every home game.

The stadium has the problem of living up to the magic and memories of the OB. It'll be tough to overcome that. Kinda like any UM player who wears #26.

The biggest "issue" with the rock imo is finding a passionate fan base to attend, and fill up, and root their azzes off for the team. to acually create the atmosphere from the beginning of the game. I've visited the rock only a few times since I live in GA. Most fans stare at me like something is wrong when I'm standing up and screaming to support the team between downs. A majority of the people who fill the stadium would rather sit and looks miserable instead of actually participatate in the home field advantage. Collectively the people at the rock are not proactive in creating the atmosphere.

Advertisement
I live in Miami Gardens, went to Norland. Only went to the original Orange Bowl once as a younger kid. Been to the Panthers, UNC & Duke's stadiums (all against Miami when I was stationed in NC.) Went to Hard Rock plenty of times, as far as the recent renovations, I think I've been 3-4 times. The atmosphere is so energetic and electric when the fans are there. Absolutely loved the place and in comparison, the UNC/Duke games felt nothing like Hard Rock (even while packed). Panthers game had relatively the same energy. Maybe I'm VERY biased because I'm a Dolphins fan as well as living close to the stadium...but I love that stadium and when its popping, its FUN
Maybe your bias?

Just another complication of the The Curse of the Orange Bowl for a once great program to be a relegated to a stadium that's a marketing monument to degenerate gamblers.
Orange Bowl.jpg

Advertisement
Because it’s the home of the dolphins and will never be a true home for cane football.
JFC, Dolphs play on Sundays they’re not home on Fri/Sat. Canes are the home squatters on those days. Facility is beautiful and convenient to ALL fans. OB was a ***king dump, even in the 70’s when I was a student. Oh yeah the Dolphs played there then. Some people want a stadium in Dade, well a centrally located one is better for all the fans, and that’s The Rock. There was talk about a campus stadium when I lived on campus. Only bc after drinking at The Rat, we wanted to walk to the game rather than drunk drive to the OB, and we sucked, so everyone was more interested in smoking and drinking than the game. Well, at least some things don’t change. #CANESNATIONLIFER🙌🏽

Y do u always do this? Y can’t u stay on subject & topic w/o offering unnecessary information that has absolutely chit to do w/ the point?

For the record, I’m from Chicago & live in Los Angeles, & spent **** near every Fall in Miami from 1992-2007. I don’t need to keep hearing about “not traditional”; I’m extremely familiar w/ the landscape, & live in the 2nd biggest City in America.

Back to the point; I specifically laid out the reason y HRS is more of a neutral field vs. a home field. I provided other NFL stadiums that’s been used by several Universities for neutral site games FOR CONTEXT. HRS is a stadium that we happen to occupy as tenants, but the renovations that Blake James tried to promote as benefiting us had NOTHING to do w/ us, & everything to do w/ the NFL telling Ross his stadium sucked! If he wanted to host another SB, he needed to modify it. So what did he do? He turned it into Dolphins’ World. More power to him, but that’s the point. It has chit to do w/ where the stadium is located, or how “untraditional” Miami is as a city/school, & EVERYTHING to do w/ the fckin stadium in regards to The School.

Yes, we have no other option, but two things can be true at the same time; it don’t have to be an either or. The ones who will slit their wrist to stay here is due to CONVENIENCE FOR THEM. That’s fine, idgaf; but any honest, objective fan clearly would agree this not a home stadium for us from the aesthetics & available paraphernalia alone!! For God’s sake, we have our ring of honor banner held up by some staples, bubble gum, & masking tape!

Oh and another FYI; if I were take the 1937-82; 04-07 teams home record into consideration at the OB: even though we sucked, we still accumulated a .610 win% and avg. margin defeat of 12 ppg. Since 2008, we have a .690 win% at HRS, and avg. margin of defeat of 15 ppg. In fact, historical losses have been set at HRS in only 15 yrs vs. the 70 yrs at the OB w/ the vast majority of those teams from 1937-79 completely sucking ***. ****, we’ve never been undefeated at HRS, yet somehow we went undefeated at home at the OB in ‘38, ‘54, ‘79’, & ‘81 (we weren’t even known as The U then). Due w/ that as u will, but stop trying to mischaracterize my post by adding elements I’m not remotely stating or arguing

Bro, any chance you have a condensed version of this. I get ADHD as soon as I open any thread on this site.

1. It's a reason for rivals to knock Miami; UM "renting" a stadium and not having its own home—which is somehow a dig—and 2. the fact it's simply NOT the Orange Bowl.

Everyone has their dumb sentiments that Miami football leaving the OB was some final nail in the coffin; as if the Canes hadn't been a sub-par team for about three years before blowing north.

15-7 at the OB—from the OT loss to Clemson in 2004, to the 2008 beatdown from Virginia in the 2007 home finale—eight of those 15 wins against Marshall, Duke (three times), FIU (twice) and South Florida... while Miami was 24-18 overall from that loss to the Tigers to the end of the 2007 season (Randy's first year).

It's the same reason everyone loves the early 2000-era Nike jerseys; Miami was winning big then—but hated the mid-2000s and the "bra-strap" look, as that was the image of 9-3 to 7-6 kind of underachieving program.

I didn't see Miami lose a home football from the time I was 11 years old in sixth grade (9/7/85) until I was entering my junior year of college (9/24/94) and was a few months shy of my 21st birthday. Who WOULDN'T revere the Orange Bowl with THAT kind of history?

Once HardRock received its $400,000,000 face lift years back—better coverage and full blown upgrades—it became a **** of a home stadium and the only issue is that UM football has continued to suck.

Anybody who was at that stadium on November 11th, 2017 to watch the dismantling of #3 Notre Dame—you saw first-hand that the stadium isn't the problem; the garbage product the Canes were putting on the field was. The venue has hosted SIX Super Bowls, is in the running for 2027 and hosts the Orange Bowl annually.

Any notion HardRock isn't good enough for six UM home games annually is laughable... and yes, The Swamp is a complete dump site. So is Doak Campbell Stadium for that matter—but they get credit for being on campus in those one-horse college football towns.
From the part you mentioned about 15-7 in OB to the 58 game streak, it felt like I wrote this. These are great points!!!!
Never been to hard rock or even back when it was called Joe robbie. But I doubt the stadium is trash. Especially a south fla stadium. Folks just miss the old days, and that's including me. If we had a run like we did in the late 90s to early 2000s in hard rock it would be the greatest stadium in everyone's eyes

Advertisement
Back