Why don't we love Hard Rock?

Miami splits profits as a renter. Miami cannot make improvements to locker room or any other part of the facility without permission.

As long as those two things are true, Miami will always be at a disadvantage.

You see the facility upgrades on campus, including the indoor facility? Miami
cant do anything with its current stadium like that without permission. Want to put an Ed Reed statue at the stadium? You gotta ask and the answer is probably no.

That in of itself is a fact that as long as Miami is renting, it is limited compared to the competition. Financially and logistically, the Canes ARE LIMITED. Ideally, thats not what you want. I don’t understand how guys cant see that.

The LAST thing you want is to be at a disadvantaged or limited in todays college football. Thats why we want out of the ACC.

Advertisement
Miami splits profits as a renter. Miami cannot make improvements to locker room or any other part of the facility without permission.

cant do anything with its current stadium like that without permission. Want to put an Ed Reed statue at the stadium? You gotta ask and the answer is probably no.

That in of itself is a fact that as long as Miami is renting, it is limited compared to the competition. Financially and logistically, the Canes ARE LIMITED. Ideally, thats not what you want. I don’t understand how guys cant see that.

The LAST thing you want is to be at a disadvantaged or limited in todays college football. Thats why we want out of the ACC.
Fans say things like “I love playing at Hard Rock!” because we’re never going to have our own stadium and I get it. But please stop acting like we’re benefiting more than a program who DOES play at their own venue by renting an NFL stadium. Flat out false and these people are just lying to themselves. This will always be a disadvantage to the program. Maybe a nice convenience for alumni living a little up north, but absolutely nothing beneficial to the actual program.

Fans say things like “I love playing at Hard Rock!” because we’re never going to have our own stadium and I get it. But please stop acting like we’re benefiting more than a program who DOES play at their own venue by renting an NFL stadium. Flat out false and these people are just lying to themselves. This will always be a disadvantage to the program. Maybe a nice convenience for alumni living a little up north, but absolutely nothing beneficial to the actual program.

Right! I like Hard Rock for the venue itself. It is comfortable. I do like club seating. I get all that. It can be loud. NONE of that is the point. The point is simple. Miami is at a disadvantage because it doesn't own it. It's that simple. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Advertisement

Okay, do you have hundreds of millions if not billion dollars needed to make this fantasy come true? Barring Sunset Place going under(and even if it did, that land is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, because you'll need to level the shopping center and a lot of the businesses around it), there isn't a place anywhere near campus that is a feasible spot. If you can't build near campus, what's the point? Yes, Miami is at a slight disadvantage by renting(It isn't nearly as huge a hindrance as you believe), but honestly, that's really the only available option, unless someone steps up and finds a way to buy out huge swaths of land near campus, convinces the City of Coral Gables to go along with it, and then raise enough to build a world class facility. Miami will not, nor should we tolerate a UCF erector set stadium, just because.

Keep in mind, the Dolphins gain something out of this as well, it's mutually beneficial.

There were 19,096 students as of fall 2021 and 43% or about 8200 lived on campus. Who should the school cater to more, the 8200 students or the alumni in Broward and Palm Beach who pay full price for tickets and donate to the school?
You act like we have some big alumni base in Broward and west Palm. Admittedly it's bigger in West Palm than most places down south. But our alumni base is FAR larger up north and certain places in the mid west then either. Point being why cater to any of them? The key any year for Miami when it relates to attendance will always be locals. Period. If Miami is winning then the groupies come out in abundance. So west Palm and Broward become less relevant no matter where we're at. Just like it was when we were in the ob.

Right! I like Hard Rock for the venue itself. It is comfortable. I do like club seating. I get all that. It can be loud. NONE of that is the point. The point is simple. Miami is at a disadvantage because it doesn't own it. It's that simple. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.
The issue is that you are acting like there's a rational solution. Miami is playing in a world class facility, a facility we aren't responsible for maintaining, a facility that we can be assured will consistently be updated. Unless a lot of things change, there's no solution that gives us our own stadium, in a location where it makes sense. Never mind the funding issue.

You act like we have some big alumni base in Broward and west Palm. Admittedly it's bigger in West Palm than most places down south. But our alumni base is FAR larger up north and certain places in the mid west then either. Point being why cater to any of them? The key any year for Miami when it relates to attendance will always be locals. Period. If Miami is winning then the groupies come out in abundance. So west Palm and Broward become less relevant no matter where we're at. Just like it was when we were in the ob.
My point is the answer isn't to ignore the Broward/PB and telling them to **** off hoping that their donations will be made up by donors from downtown south is foolish, especially if the stadium experience is worse than HRS.

If the OB suddenly came back to life tomorrow, the city around it is nowhere near the same as it was 20 years ago.

Advertisement
The issue is that you are acting like there's a rational solution. Miami is playing in a world class facility, a facility we aren't responsible for maintaining, a facility that we can be assured will consistently be updated. Unless a lot of things change, there's no solution that gives us our own stadium, in a location where it makes sense. Never mind the funding issue.
I'm also going to clarify that having our own stadium could be a benefit for naming rights, events, etc. I just don't think it will ever happen.

Likewise, think the admin would have a hard time taking the short drive away from the PB/Broward contingent. Having dealt with charitable fundraisers, the last thing they'll ever want to do is **** off a donor.

Actually, the bulk of our local donor/alumni base is up in Broward and West Palm. The people paying for the club level seats? The people whose financial support keep the program alive? Those people tend to live up that way. Yes, the bulk of our local fanbase is located in Miami-Dade, but financially their contribution is insignificant. They may show up if the team is good, the opponent is a **** name and there's legit stakes, but there's a reason why the athletic department has started to move to maximizing their premium seating options, because that's the high margin items, and those people tend to be invested into the program. The dude that bought some cheapies on stubhub, you can't build your long term future around that fan.

People love to jock the OB, and while it has historical significance and a proud legacy, it was a dump. In a world where people are more comfortable than ever staying home and watching the game, the OB was a dinosaur. People at Alabama, FSU, etc will put up with crap because that's all they have in regards to entertainment. The OB experience stunk, period, if you were a fan. **** warm Presidente, bench seats, restrooms that hadn't been updated since JFK was POTUS. People aren't going to put up with that nonsense in Miami, ESPECIALLY if the team isn't elite. Once the City screwed us over, a move had to be made.

I'm also going to clarify that having our own stadium could be a benefit for naming rights, events, etc. I just don't think it will ever happen.

Likewise, think the admin would have a hard time taking the short drive away from the PB/Broward contingent. Having dealt with charitable fundraisers, the last thing they'll ever want to do is **** off a donor.

It would be great in regards to that stuff, but it isn't feasible, due to things beyond the school's control. I'd love it if the school could find a way to get their hands on the Sunset Place location, had a donor step up and buy out most of the land around it, and built a facility there, but it isn't happening. It's a pipedream. That said, if that did happen, the administration would be able to sell to those PB donors "Hey, we have a facility within walking distance of campus now, come experience college football as it was meant to be", and that would be enticing to a lot of donors.

Actually, the bulk of our local donor/alumni base is up in Broward and West Palm. The people paying for the club level seats? The people whose financial support keep the program alive? Those people tend to live up that way. Yes, the bulk of our local fanbase is located in Miami-Dade, but financially their contribution is insignificant. They may show up if the team is good, the opponent is a **** name and there's legit stakes, but there's a reason why the athletic department has started to move to maximizing their premium seating options, because that's the high margin items, and those people tend to be invested into the program. The dude that bought some cheapies on stubhub, you can't build your long term future around that fan.

People love to jock the OB, and while it has historical significance and a proud legacy, it was a dump. In a world where people are more comfortable than ever staying home and watching the game, the OB was a dinosaur. People at Alabama, FSU, etc will put up with crap because that's all they have in regards to entertainment. The OB experience stunk, period, if you were a fan. **** warm Presidente, bench seats, restrooms that hadn't been updated since JFK was POTUS. People aren't going to put up with that nonsense in Miami, ESPECIALLY if the team isn't elite. Once the City screwed us over, a move had to be made.
No argument in where the donors come from in that statement. However since all I do when I go is either club level or suites I can tell you from experience what keeps this program active is neither of the things you speak on. None of them are relevant to our success. Corporations are where that funding comes from and most of them are no part of local. But since I get what you're leaning towards then I'll agree.

Advertisement
It’s fine it’s not the OB but, then again nothing will ever top that iconic venue-

Who knows if Miami ever gets their own stadium but, Hard Rock is fine.

I am not arguing your point. I get the challenges BUT there are posters on this board who argue MY POINT. Meaning, they see no reason for Miami to have its own stadium, not because it unrealistic due to land and funding but because it wouldnt be as nice, as close or traffic friendly. Surely you have seen these posts? Thats what i am speaking to.

Our fanbase/alumni are everywhere, even in the Northeast where I’m from. I went to High School in a small town in Upstate NY and I knew more Miami fans than Syracuse and pretty much every other program north of Pennsylvania. Of course this was in the early 2000’s when we were winning and everyone likes a winner but still. It proves we’re a national brand and the school attracts people from New York, New Jersey, and Boston who want to go to school down south but not “the Deep South”.

The most popular program where I came from was Penn State but **** them. I could never get into them despite attending a couple games at Happy Valley and this was years before the Sandusky scandal. They just seemed like a really boring program with no soul. There was nobody like Ray Lewis or Jeremy Shockey at PSU. Some good players, but no one who played with that Miami type attitude.

Advertisement
We should just change it to Hard Co ck stadium.

How much cooler would “meet you at the c ock” sound?

“Behind a raucous 70k crowd, Miami pummels FSU at the c ock.”
“The C ock is at full capacity….”

“The C ock erupted when the tight end ran up the middle….”

🤣🤣🤣

Owning a stadium is a horrible investment unless massive amounts of public money is used.

Building a new stadium for $500M+++ to make $25M more a year would still be a HORRIBLE use of funds.

PS: Ross makes less than $5m a year off Miami football.

Hard Rock is a world class facility, that host the top events.. Manny Navarro had a story I think during acc media day and one of questions was best stadium to play and opposing players picked Hard rock more times than not, said they loved the locker rooms compared to VT, FSU and other **** holes, lmaoo.. Players like playing in an nfl stadium, at end of day it is what it is.. who is going to build a billion dollar stadium and where?? lol

Advertisement
Back