Virginia Tech at Miami (2-6-21) at Noon on Fox Sports

I have no words for the fans that are pumping their chest about our free throw shooting for the game. Yet missed them when they mattered the most. Really is hilarious given we have seen it for years under L
This game wasn't lost on FT shooting. Missed calls late in the game and OT, bad D on final play of regulation, scoring 2 points in overtime were bigger reasons for the L

Advertisement
Only glaring thing from this game that anyone can question Coach L is whether or not players were told to foul during the final play in regulation. Aside from that the team was ready and did everything to give themselves a chance to win today's game.
I guarantee you Coach K would have spotted the foot on line immediately and start pointing and screaming "He was out of bounds Check the replay" - AND THEY WOULD CALL AND CHECK

Such a clown thing to say when they were needed the most. Total joke of a statement
Ah so you're the type of guy who thinks the only thing that matters is the last minute, and that players can "turn it on" when it counts.

All of the great analytics work of the past 20+ years has shown that this is nonsense. Look up Kobe's clutch stats if you want an easy example of how that is nothing more than a cliche.

Keep believing things that have been shown to be false, if you want. I don't care. But the evidence is pretty clear.

This game wasn't lost on FT shooting. Missed calls late in the game and OT, bad D on final play of regulation, scoring 2 points in overtime were bigger reasons for the L
It was lost on late game execution. Late game execution includes many things. Free throw shooting is sure as **** apart of that

I guarantee you Coach K would have spotted the foot on line immediately and start pointing and screaming "He was out of bounds Check the replay" - AND THEY WOULD CALL AND CHECK

one of my biggest frustrations with Coach L is that he doesn’t work the refs. It makes a big difference. Most all of the all-time great coaches were masters at working the refs.

Advertisement
[/QUOTE]
Let's watch as our dumbass fanbase finds a way to blame L for Miami being jobbed TWICE in this game. The game tying 3, dude had a foot on the endline, and the awful charge calls.
You burn a timeout at 57 seconds that even the idiot announcers questioned. We don't score on that possession. With 2.1 seconds to go you have a foul to give. You absolutely should be glued to their 3-point guy and at least foul before he gets a clean touch. Run through the pick if you have to do so.

Yeah the coaching was great as always. I especially liked the part where Coach L saw the foot on line and INSISTED he was out of bounds and they check the replay.
Everyone saw it. EVERYONE, except for the people that mattered.

L got as much out of this team today as one could. They shot well from the line, they didn't give up despite VT going on that run midway through the half, and were in position to win it before it was snatched away. Theoretically, Miami shouldn't have been in this game to begin with. They've played a solid Top 25 team to the wire TWICE in VT and should have gotten a split. They played well enough to sweep a top 25 team and couldn't pull it off.

You think about the production that has been missing from Miami this season, Chris Lykes being anywhere near healthy and this team is most likely solidly in the NCAAT at this point in the season. You are missing out on 12-15 PPG every night. EVERY night, and that's not even including his ability to create offense for others, to be a decent perimeter defender(Chris' quicks always leads to a couple of runouts per game). It's frustrating to see this team struggle, knowing that just one more solid body would push them closer to where they should be.

Ah so you're the type of guy who thinks the only thing that matters is the last minute, and that players can "turn it on" when it counts.

All of the great analytics work of the past 20+ years has shown that this is nonsense. Look up Kobe's clutch stats if you want an easy example of how that is nothing more than a cliche.

Keep believing things that have been shown to be false, if you want. I don't care. But the evidence is pretty clear.

Idiots believe in the "Myth of Clutch". One of the classic examples of this is Eli Manning. Dude has a reputation as being clutch, when in reality he's the beneficiary of some of the most random occurrences in sports history. Think about this: If Samuel catches a ball that hits him in the hands, is Eli clutch? What happened between Eli throwing a gimmie pick, and Tyree making a catch he couldn't ever replicate, that makes Eli clutch? Exactly.

Good players tend to come up big in moments, because they are **** good to begin with. It's all percentages. You give an elite player multiple chances to pull it out, he will make more than his fair share.

Advertisement
You burn a timeout at 57 seconds that even the idiot announcers questioned. We don't score on that possession. With 2.1 seconds to go you have a foul to give. You absolutely should be glued to their 3-point guy and at least foul time before he gets a clean touch. Run through the pick if you have to do so.
I haven't said a thing about coach L's strategy. I'm not interested in that discussion.

All I said was that blaming FT shooting, which was the biggest reason we were still in the game, is incredibly silly.

How much of a clown do you have to be to say don’t blame the refs when they let a guy clearly step on the line before shooting the game tying three?

And then with a 2pt overtime game call a charge that wasn’t even close. Not even a little close - and after a prior BS charge call against Miami that’s the most egregiously and clearly wrong call I’ve ever seen. After calling a foul on O where the announcers were getting amped about an epic clean block.
Is that L’s post game presser? Sure as **** sounds like it. Terrible coaching on final v tech possession in regulation. Virginia tech executed better down the stretch. They won the game because of it. Make all the **** excuses in the world

It was lost on late game execution. Late game execution includes many things. Free throw shooting is sure as **** apart of that
It played a part. I mean if we shoot 100% from the line today we win. All I'm saying is it's tough to expect any team to shoot FT at 100% clip. If we get the stop in regulation -- we win. If the refs don't miss the call when shooter steps out of bounds -- we win. I think those 2 plays were definitely more impactful in the outcome than shooting 85% FT.

Advertisement
It played a part. I mean if we shoot 100% from the line today we win. All I'm saying is it's tough to expect any team to shoot FT at 100% clip. If we get the stop in regulation -- we win. If the refs don't miss the call when shooter steps out of bounds -- we win. I think those 2 plays were definitely more impactful in the outcome than shooting 85% FT.
We can’t control the refs. We can control our late game execution... especially free throw shooting down the stretch. I agree with your point, I just wish we would have executed down the stretch. That involves both coaching and players

one of my biggest frustrations with Coach L is that he doesn’t work the refs. It makes a big difference. Most all of the all-time great coaches were masters at working the refs.
Do you watch our games? Or did you just want to pull a stupid cliche out of your ***? L works the refs plenty, he just doesn't do it in a way that our dumbass fans would want. He isn't a yeller and screamer, and if you paid attention, you'd see him at work. He's more old school, it takes A LOT for him to get really hot at the refs. Today was a perfect example, he saw the blown call and he pointed it out heatedly, but he couldn't get it reviewed.

I think I heard the game commentators say that play was not reviewable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back