Virginia Tech at Miami (2-6-21) at Noon on Fox Sports

Advertisement
Do you watch our games? Or did you just want to pull a stupid cliche out of your ***? L works the refs plenty, he just doesn't do it in a way that our dumbass fans would want. He isn't a yeller and screamer, and if you paid attention, you'd see him at work. He's more old school, it takes A LOT for him to get really hot at the refs. Today was a perfect example, he saw the blown call and he pointed it out heatedly, but he couldn't get it reviewed.

Ok smart guy my family was literally at the game today.

I think Coach L is a hall of fame coach and we’re blessed to have him as our coach.

But he absolutely does not work the refs effectively. It’s not even close.

It played a part. I mean if we shoot 100% from the line today we win. All I'm saying is it's tough to expect any team to shoot FT at 100% clip. If we get the stop in regulation -- we win. If the refs don't miss the call when shooter steps out of bounds -- we win. I think those 2 plays were definitely more impactful in the outcome than shooting 85% FT.
Why did @Allabouttheu95 like this?

Is your argument that we should've shot 100% from the FT line?

Why did @Allabouttheu95 like this?

Is your argument that we should've shot 100% from the FT line?
Ask any coach in America how you win close games down the stretch... what will the resounding answer be. Make free throws. Was it the only reason we lost the game? No it wasn’t. But I’ve seen this story 50 times during L’s tenure. Turnovers late in games and missed free throws which lead to close game L’s.

Anthony Lawrence was the king of this.

Ok smart guy my family was literally at the game today.

I think Coach L is a hall of fame coach and we’re blessed to have him as our coach.

But he absolutely does not work the refs effectively. It’s not even close.

You realize that "Working the Refs" only works when you have something to lord over them, right? K works the refs effectively, mostly because HE IS COACH K. Back when he wasn't K yet, no one gave a ****. In fact, K was famous for saying "There's two sets of rules in the ACC, one for Carolina, one for everyone else".

L isn't going to throw chairs like Knight, he isn't going to be up in people's faces like Bob Huggins. He's going to do things his way, but let's be honest: He's coaching at MIAMI. In other words, no matter what he says and does, the refs aren't going to give us the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

Advertisement
Everyone saw it. EVERYONE, except for the people that mattered.

L got as much out of this team today as one could. They shot well from the line, they didn't give up despite VT going on that run midway through the half, and were in position to win it before it was snatched away. Theoretically, Miami shouldn't have been in this game to begin with. They've played a solid Top 25 team to the wire TWICE in VT and should have gotten a split. They played well enough to sweep a top 25 team and couldn't pull it off.

You think about the production that has been missing from Miami this season, Chris Lykes being anywhere near healthy and this team is most likely solidly in the NCAAT at this point in the season. You are missing out on 12-15 PPG every night. EVERY night, and that's not even including his ability to create offense for others, to be a decent perimeter defender(Chris' quicks always leads to a couple of runouts per game). It's frustrating to see this team struggle, knowing that just one more solid body would push them closer to where they should be.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but I do think we're more than just 1 player away from being a tournament team. This team has no depth. This team doesn't have adequate bigs. Maybe we're an NIT team if everything were to fall in place, but without a backup PG, good shooter and no big, I just don't see how anyone can say we're a solid NCAAT team.

How is the last scoring play of regulation not reviewable?

That makes no sense.
I'm not sure, but I could've sworn I heard one of the commentators say the play was not reviewable. I think only plays that can be reviewed are 50-50 balls that go out of bounds under 2 mins of the game. If this play were reviewable, I'm sure someone would've brought it to the attention of the officiating crew. I mean even without replays, if the play is close I'm asking the refs to review it.

Last edited:
The players have changed over the years, but the results haven’t. We seem to keep finding new ways to give games away. As long as Coach L is here, the results will remain the same.

Advertisement
You realize that "Working the Refs" only works when you have something to lord over them, right? K works the refs effectively, mostly because HE IS COACH K. Back when he wasn't K yet, no one gave a ****. In fact, K was famous for saying "There's two sets of rules in the ACC, one for Carolina, one for everyone else".

L isn't going to throw chairs like Knight, he isn't going to be up in people's faces like Bob Huggins. He's going to do things his way, but let's be honest: He's coaching at MIAMI. In other words, no matter what he says and does, the refs aren't going to give us the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

Every one of those coaches was a nobody before they became a somebody. Working the refs absolutely matters. Coach L is bad at it. And the fact that he is a 70 yr old borderline HOF coach whose team gets consistently hosed by the stripes game after game is pretty irrefutable evidence of that fact.

You can admire and respect someone and still be objective.

Every one of those coaches was a nobody before they became a somebody. Working the refs absolutely matters. Coach L is bad at it. And the fact that he is a 70 yr old borderline HOF coach whose team gets consistently hosed by the stripes game after game is pretty irrefutable evidence of that fact.

You can admire and respect someone and still be objective.

Cliche sandwich, I'm shocked you haven't pulled "VT wanted it more" out. Miami has been getting hosed by the refs BEFORE L, even when the program was led by another borderline HOFer in Hamilton. It even goes across sports. Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Jim Morris. ALL OF THEM struggled to get calls while at Miami and in some cases missed out on TITLES because they couldn't get calls. Ever thought that because the powers that be have never liked Miami, that refs/umps don't feel pressure to call games fairly when we are involved?

Katie Meier is a passionate coach that really lets it rip in regards to refs, and has been successful. However, it doesn't help her one iota. Hmmmm....

There's a reason why Jimmy once said "Never leave a game in a ref's hands". He knew full well that if push came to shove, Miami most likely wouldn't come out on top if that happened. There's plenty to criticize L on, but him not being able to get a moron ref to make a basic call isn't one of them.

Advertisement
Ask any coach in America how you win close games down the stretch... what will the resounding answer be. Make free throws. Was it the only reason we lost the game? No it wasn’t. But I’ve seen this story 50 times during L’s tenure. Turnovers late in games and missed free throws which lead to close game L’s.

Anthony Lawrence was the king of this.
I deleted my previous response to this. I don't want to waste any more of my Saturday arguing with someone grasping at cliches and pouting about their team losing on a message board.

I deleted my previous response to this. I don't want to waste any more of my Saturday arguing with someone grasping at cliches and pouting about their team losing on a message board.

85%. That's what Miami shot from the FT line today. Barring Miami setting a school record today, you weren't going to do much better. Frankly, Miami's FT shooting KEPT THEM IN THE GAME.

Cliche sandwich, I'm shocked you haven't pulled "VT wanted it more" out. Miami has been getting hosed by the refs BEFORE L, even when the program was led by another borderline HOFer in Hamilton. It even goes across sports. Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Jim Morris. ALL OF THEM struggled to get calls while at Miami and in some cases missed out on TITLES because they couldn't get calls. Ever thought that because the powers that be have never liked Miami, that refs/umps don't feel pressure to call games fairly when we are involved?

Katie Meier is a passionate coach that really lets it rip in regards to refs, and has been successful. However, it doesn't help her one iota. Hmmmm....

There's a reason why Jimmy once said "Never leave a game in a ref's hands". He knew full well that if push came to shove, Miami most likely wouldn't come out on top if that happened. There's plenty to criticize L on, but him not being able to get a moron ref to make a basic call isn't one of them.

Are you just writing words? You think refs care about miami basketball? Football you might have something remotely resembling a legitimate point, but not basketball.

Good teams get calls and bad teams don’t for the most part... but working the refs matters.

I’ll never forget Thad Matta working the refs and getting a BS T on Jack McClinton (edit autocorrect) when we were home against OSU.

There’s plenty of behavioral psychology research on it... and the evidence speaks for itself.

Coach L is ineffective at working the refs. If you can’t see that then you’re just stuck blaming ghosts.

Advertisement
85%. That's what Miami shot from the FT line today. Barring Miami setting a school record today, you weren't going to do much better. Frankly, Miami's FT shooting KEPT THEM IN THE GAME.
This is exactly right. Miami’s free throw shooting kept them in the game. There’s no arguing that. Miami’s free throw shooting late in the game could have won them the game

So you’re the guy that is making excuses for losing this game? Like blaming the refs. Or are you going to give me your reasoning for losing this game. I’ve listed my reasons: **** coaching on final possession and missed free throws. What is your reasoning for losing this game we should have won

So you’re the guy that is making excuses for losing this game? Like blaming the refs. Or are you going to give me your reasoning for losing this game. I’ve listed my reasons: **** coaching on final possession and missed free throws. What is your reasoning for losing this game we should have won
I know you didn't ask ME but anyway, if I can't blame Beverly I'm kinda lost. This new personnel evaluation by Coach L (keeping him mostly on the bench) is making the moping extremely difficult.

Why did we have anybody inside the 3 line at the end? I don’t get it. Make them shoot from 40. This is a terribly coached team.

Advertisement
Back