Virginia Tech at Miami (2-6-21) at Noon on Fox Sports

Everyone saw it. EVERYONE, except for the people that mattered.

L got as much out of this team today as one could. They shot well from the line, they didn't give up despite VT going on that run midway through the half, and were in position to win it before it was snatched away. Theoretically, Miami shouldn't have been in this game to begin with. They've played a solid Top 25 team to the wire TWICE in VT and should have gotten a split. They played well enough to sweep a top 25 team and couldn't pull it off.

You think about the production that has been missing from Miami this season, Chris Lykes being anywhere near healthy and this team is most likely solidly in the NCAAT at this point in the season. You are missing out on 12-15 PPG every night. EVERY night, and that's not even including his ability to create offense for others, to be a decent perimeter defender(Chris' quicks always leads to a couple of runouts per game). It's frustrating to see this team struggle, knowing that just one more solid body would push them closer to where they should be.
Except he allowed guys to be picked inside 3 when that was the only thing that could lose the game. F’ing joke. That was terrible.

Advertisement
Ok smart guy my family was literally at the game today.

I think Coach L is a hall of fame coach and we’re blessed to have him as our coach.

But he absolutely does not work the refs effectively. It’s not even close.
He needs to defend a 3 with 2 seconds left and fouls to give. This is a clown show regardless of what L’s loyalists want to say.

FBI, refs, injuries, everyone hates us, bad luck. The bottom line is this is the 3rd straight season of garbage and I don’t see how next season will be much better. If Haith or Clark had these results, we’d all agree that changes need to be made. L (or no coach for that matter) cannot get a lifetime pass because he lead us to an ACC title and 2 sweet 16’s. That was a long time ago. How long can we tolerate sub 500 records and bottom of the ACC finishes before we expect change?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also, for the posters who said we don’t lose games due to lack of frontcourt production. VT’s 2 forwards (Mutts and Aluma) destroyed us today for a combined 38 points 15 boards and 12 assists. Brooks had an above average game for him, but Walker and Gak combined for 6 points and 4 boards on 3/11 shooting. Anyone that thinks we can continue to not have any semblance of a frontcourt and expect to be successful is fooling themselves.

So you’re the guy that is making excuses for losing this game? Like blaming the refs. Or are you going to give me your reasoning for losing this game. I’ve listed my reasons: **** coaching on final possession and missed free throws. What is your reasoning for losing this game we should have won
I had a response typed out, then deleted it. You seem like the type that loves grabbing the pitchforks and pointing fingers whenever possible. I'm just not interested in continuing this discussion.

Also, for the posters who said we don’t lose games due to lack of frontcourt production. VT’s 2 forwards (Mutts and Aluma) destroyed us today for a combined 38 points 15 boards and 12 assists. Brooks had an above average game for him, but Walker and Gak combined for 6 points and 4 boards on 3/11 shooting. Anyone that thinks we can continue to not have any semblance of a frontcourt and expect to be successful is fooling themselves.
We obviously need some frontcourt help for next year. But if we were -22 in the frontcourt, that means we were +18 in the backcourt. If that guy gets called for stepping on the sideline, or if his shot rims out, or any other 1 play goes our way, we win. This was a toss-up type game vs. a good team, and we happened to lose. Had we played this way in every game this year, we'd be 11-7 instead of 7-11. We can get to the NCAA tourney with a bad frontcourt and a great backcourt.

The problem is we've had a bad frontcourt and a mediocre backcourt, until Olaniyi started to find his groove and McGusty came back.

Advertisement
I did a quick check and we are 31-30 in one possession, or OT games, under Coach L. Surprisingly, we were only 3-3 in 2013, his best season. 🤦‍♂️
Exactly as one would expect! 1-possession+OT games are toss-ups and you would expect us to be around .500 in them. Thanks for digging that up.

And the fact that the best team in school history was 3-3 in those games, while last year's garbage team was 5-2, is further proof that this narrative that we stink late in games is nothing but a mindless cliche.

We obviously need some frontcourt help for next year. But if we were -22 in the frontcourt, that means we were +18 in the backcourt. If that guy gets called for stepping on the sideline, or if his shot rims out, or any other 1 play goes our way, we win. This was a toss-up type game vs. a good team, and we happened to lose. Had we played this way in every game this year, we'd be 11-7 instead of 7-11. We can get to the NCAA tourney with a bad frontcourt and a great backcourt.

The problem is we've had a bad frontcourt and a mediocre backcourt, until Olaniyi started to find his groove and McGusty came back.
You make a good point that had we played this way all year we’d be 11-7. Why was this team been so atrocious Against the bottom half of the league? Syracuse, ND, BC, wake. All mediocre to awful teams (with arguably much worse rosters than us). And all 4 blew us the **** out. While we beat Duke, Purdue, and Louisville and have nearly beat VT twice, Clemson, and UNC. Why does it take this team playing a ranked team or “blue blood” to show up and give effort? Doesn’t some of that extreme inconsistency fall on coaching?

If you play the "what if" game, you've gotta say if we shot FTs like we normally do, we wouldn't have been close at the end.

Advertisement
Can anyone with a better basketball background explain to me why we defended the last play with 4 guys running around inside the 3 line? I’m still dumbfounded. Am I incorrect that if you put 1 on the ball and spread 4 out at the 3 line you force a deep shoot and catch? We let 1 VT guy pick off 2 defenders inside the 3 line. I really don’t get that.

Can anyone with a better basketball background explain to me why we defended the last play with 4 guys running around inside the 3 line? I’m still dumbfounded. Am I incorrect that if you put 1 on the ball and spread 4 out at the 3 line you force a deep shoot and catch? We let 1 VT guy pick off 2 defenders inside the 3 line. I really don’t get that.

You can’t let that happen. Give them the lob if they want it. That would have secured us a W. We had a foul to give. If someone is getting away from you, you grab him and take the foul. It’s worth the risk of being called for an “intentional.” 99% of the time it’s a common foul and you live to fight another inbound pass.

You can’t let that happen. Give them the lob if they want it. That would have secured us a W. We had a foul to give. If someone is getting away from you, you grab him and take the foul. It’s worth the risk of being called for an “intentional.” 99% of the time it’s a common foul and you live to fight another inbound pass.
It looked to me like a horrible job of coaching a defense. If they hit from 40, we can go to OT. We let their best shooter get wide open. Fireable offense to me.

Advertisement
It looked to me like a horrible job of coaching a defense. If they hit from 40, we can go to OT. We let their best shooter get wide open. Fireable offense to me.
Completely agree. Can’t remember who was on him but they fell trying to go around their other guy. Should’ve shoved through him and taken the foul. There didn’t seem to be a big enough emphasis on DONT LET THEM GET A SHOT OFF.

Advertisement
Back