UNC series thread

The CBWS winners over the last 5 years averaged a .726 winning pct. and an average ranking of 14 (assuming we give an unranked UVA a #25 ranking)
No single digit ranked team has won the CWS in 5 years.
Basketball's tourney winners are usually around an .850 winning pct. (6 out of 7) and football is at .928.(13 out of 14).

You'd have to go back to 2009 to have even a shadow of an argument that the best team won the College World Series. That year LSU was # 2 in the Baseball America poll when they won it. They weren't in the top 5 in either the RPI or ISR though.

Before that you'd have to go back to 2003 and Rice to have your next shadow of an argument.

It's not even a real debate. His claim is nonsense.

I can make an argument that South Carolina was the best team in 2011.

Advertisement

You're capable of making a bunch of stupid arguments. We know that.

What I mean is that no reasonable person using standard metrics could do it.

Polls: 4th (Baseball America), 4th (Collegiate Baseball)
Ratings: # 6 (RPI), # 5 (ISR)
Seeding: # 4 National Seed

And to top it off...

Even after the field was narrowed to 8 teams in Omaha they were only the 4th favorite among the field according to the ISR.

ISR-Based Probabilities for 2011 NCAA Tournament -- Before CWS

Virginia - 23.4%
Vanderbilt - 21.1%
North Carolina - 20.9%
South Carolina - 16.9%

Advertisement
Oh Lord, they're chirping on April 2nd. I promise that I will remind you about this in June. You know, when it matters.

Says the guy who was ready to pounce after the Louisville series. So much for waiting until June when it matters.

Perfect. Will love to see your posts after Louisville does what they want. But that's okay because they're a great team.

And to top it off...

Even after the field was narrowed to 8 teams in Omaha they were only the 4th favorite among the field according to the ISR.

Virginia - 23.4%
Vanderbilt - 21.1%
North Carolina - 20.9%
South Carolina - 16.9%

So I can't make an argument that the #4 ranked team in the country was the best team in the country? You're an elite kind of stupid.

Oh Lord, they're chirping on April 2nd. I promise that I will remind you about this in June. You know, when it matters.

Says the guy who was ready to pounce after the Louisville series. So much for waiting until June when it matters.

Perfect. Will love to see your posts after Louisville does what they want. But that's okay because they're a great team.

The Louisville series was just three games......much too small of a sample to mean anything. That weekend was random.

Or are you about to tell me that beating Louisville and Clemson is a sign of a great team, but losing to Florida twice in Omaha is just random. That's how badly you're twisting yourself up in this.

Advertisement
So I can't make an argument that the #4 ranked team in the country was the best team in the country? You're an elite kind of stupid.

In an 8 team field your favorite rating had them as the 4th favorite. So basically middle of the pack among the best teams.

You could make an argument but it's not very supportable. Much like most of the things you say.

In an 8 team field your favorite rating had them as the 4th favorite. So basically middle of the pack among the best teams.

You could make an argument but it's not very supportable. Much like most of the things you say.

So I can't make an argument that a top four team.....which won the World Series.....was the best team. You, sir, are not a smart person.

Advertisement
The Louisville series was just three games......much too small of a sample to mean anything. That weekend was random.

Then why were you celebrating a 14-3 loss to Virginia Tech and waiting for the Louisville series to pounce?

My reasoning is correct. Your reasoning is stupid. That's what I'm proving. You're stupid and you're not consistent. You just got done mocking someone for pointing to results on April 2nd but you were ready to pounce on March 18th.

The only thing you're consistent with is your hatred of Canes baseball and Jim Morris in particular.

I've got you so flustered that you forgot that you already made the claim that rankings do not say who the best team is, they tell us who had the best season.

The problem with not knowing what you're talking about is that you eventually contradict yourself. Well done.

So I can't make an argument that a top four team.....which won the World Series.....was the best team. You, sir, are not a smart person.

I said you could but that a reasonable person using standard metrics couldn't. And then I proved it.

Even if you could you would be saying that the best team has won the College World Series once in 5 years. That's likely the only argument you could make in about a decade.

But somehow that proves the sport is not random?

You're not very smart.

Advertisement

Then why were you celebrating a 14-3 loss to Virginia Tech and waiting for the Louisville series to pounce?

My reasoning is correct. Your reasoning is stupid. That's what I'm proving. You're stupid and you're not consistent. You just got done mocking someone for pointing to results on April 2nd but you were ready to pounce on March 18th.

The only thing you're consistent with is your hatred of Canes baseball and Jim Morris in particular.

I didn't know that small samples in baseball were just random. Now I know. Can't get excited if we win the UNC series because it just means that the recruiting was lucky and the outcomes were random.

I've got you so flustered that you forgot that you already made the claim that rankings do not say who the best team is, they tell us who had the best season.

No I didn't. I said the RPI is not predictive.

The ISR does claim to be predictive which is why I use it for percentage chances.

Go look it up and quote me.

There's no contradiction whatsoever.

And to top it off...

Virginia - 23.4%
Vanderbilt - 21.1%
North Carolina - 20.9%
South Carolina - 16.9%

Here's what is funny about your obsession with these stupid computer systems. You say that Virginia was better than UNC because the ISR said so?

@ North Carolina 51 - 16 0 - 6 L
@ North Carolina 51 - 16 1 - 2 L
@ North Carolina 51 - 16 2 - 3 L

Good call. Virginia was actually better, but the randomness of baseball allowed UNC to sweep.

Can't get excited if we win the UNC series because it just means that the recruiting was lucky and the outcomes were random.

You won't get excited if we beat UNC because you don't want us to win.

But a real fan can get excited because that will be three straight series victories against top 10 RPI teams. Whether we're ultimately better than those teams can't be determined yet but getting a national seed is what matters right now.

Advertisement
Back