UNC series thread

Then why do you always fall back on Jim Morris winning two titles?

When did I do that?

I'm falling back on his body of work that proves he's a great coach.

The two titles are great but we've had better teams than in 2001. Many better teams actually. That's what I fall back on. We've been to Omaha 12 times in his tenure. That's proof of quality.

Over time his tactical and strategic mastery has been proven.

Advertisement
Here's what's so funny about claiming that the post-season is "random":

In 2006-07 AND 2014-2015, the exact same teams played in the championship series in back to back years, and
In 2010 through 2013, two teams took up 5 of the 8 spots in the finals in those years.

Funny how that works, with the same teams always making it to the finals. It is about the most UNrandom event in sports, but Brian Pickle has to defend Jim Morris somehow.

You're giving him a pass because of random events?

No. I just don't blame him and don't want to throw him out because of random events.

Judge him based on 60+ games a season over 22 years and not 3 games in June in Omaha. That's silly.

Oh please. We went six straight years without coming close to Omaha. Your revisionist history is embarrassing.

Advertisement
The CBWS winners over the last 5 years averaged a .726 winning pct. and an average ranking of 14 (assuming we give an unranked UVA a #25 ranking)
No single digit ranked team has won the CWS in 5 years.
Basketball's tourney winners are usually around an .850 winning pct. (6 out of 7) and football is at .928.(13 out of 14). The football numbers are skewed due to the limited number of teams in the playoffs.
There's less of a chance of very good teams winning if they average less than 3 wins out of every 4 games throughout the year.

Last edited:
Here's what's so funny about claiming that the post-season is "random":

In 2006-07 AND 2014-2015, the exact same teams played in the championship series in back to back years, and
In 2010 through 2013, two teams took up 5 of the 8 spots in the finals in those years.

You show as much ignorance regarding randomness as you do of nearly every other subject.

Oregon State went 10-14 and finished tied for 6th in the Pac-10 in 2007. Experience probably had something to do with winning it but it was random and a statistical fluke.

Virginia went 15-15 and finished 7th in the ACC in 2015. Once again it was random and a statistical fluke.

Now let me continue this lesson on randomness.

You make the typical mistake of using a small random occurrence to prove your point that there's no randomness. It's pathetic but understandable given that most people don't know these things.

In Pat Casey's first 10 years at Oregon State (1995-2004) they made zero postseason appearances and had 7 losing seasons in the Pac-10.

So 10 seasons is not a small sample size.

Then all of the sudden from 2005-2007 they not only make the postseason but they reach the College World Series in all three seasons. They go 0-2 in 2005 and get crushed in their opener 11-1 (by Miami) in 2006.

So in 12 seasons he's shown no signs of being a great coach and doesn't have any real postseason success of any kind.

Then all of the sudden his team wins 6 of 7 games (including a game where they were one out away from being eliminated) and wins the national championship.

The next year they finished with a losing conference record (10-14) and lost 8 of their last 13 regular season games causing them to nearly miss the postseason altogether.

Then they improbably reeled off 10 straight wins to take home another national championship.

In 2008 they missed the postseason again. Since then they have one College World Series win.

Your example of the lack of randomness is one of the most random examples you could've come up with.

Advertisement
It is about the most UNrandom event in sports, but Brian Pickle has to defend Jim Morris somehow.

This is comically embarrassing.

College baseball is just about the most random sport in the history of athletics.

Boyd Nation, who created the ISR which you love, said that Fresno State in 2008 wasn't just the worst team to win a College World Series. He said they were statistically the worst team to win any NCAA championship ever.

That year Miami was one of the clearest favorites in the history of the tournament (current format). Yet at the College World Series with only 8 teams left they only had a 23% chance of winning the championship according to the ISR. In fact they only had a 36% chance of reaching the championship series from their side of the bracket.

The most clear cut # 1 team in years and they had a less than 2 in 5 chance of reaching the championship series.

You are just amazingly ignorant.

Oh please. We went six straight years without coming close to Omaha. Your revisionist history is embarrassing.

We were close in 2010 and 2014 but you have to actually understand the sport to know that.

And we got to Omaha last year and you still made some ridiculous claim that we were lucky to be there.

You are a total loser.

Brian you make great points while the lonesome loser is clueless. We have the longest postseason streak ever in NCAA and that is something to be proud of as Texas and USC have both missed post season appearances and they were always at top of rung. Baseball in the postseason is all about teams getting hot at the right time and always has been both in pro and college.

Advertisement
Miami was #1 and went 1-2.......I'm shocked that a team managed by Jim Morris would fall apart like that. But it was just random and unlucky.

The CBWS winners over the last 5 years averaged a .726 winning pct. and an average ranking of 14 (assuming we give an unranked UVA a #25 ranking)
No single digit ranked team has won the CWS in 5 years.
Basketball's tourney winners are usually around an .850 winning pct. (6 out of 7) and football is at .928.(13 out of 14).

You'd have to go back to 2009 to have even a shadow of an argument that the best team won the College World Series. That year LSU was # 2 in the Baseball America poll when they won it. They weren't in the top 5 in either the RPI or ISR though.

Before that you'd have to go back to 2003 and Rice to have your next shadow of an argument.

It's not even a real debate. His claim is nonsense.

Advertisement
Miami was #1 and went 1-2.......I'm shocked that a team managed by Jim Morris would fall apart like that.

The track record of #1 rated RPI teams.

2015: Miami - College World Series (1-2)
2014: Virginia - College World Series (4-2)
2013: North Carolina - College World Series (2-2)
2012: Florida - College World Series (0-2)
2011: North Carolina - College World Series (1-2)
2010: Arizona State - College World Series (0-2)
2009: Cal State Fullerton - College World Series (0-2)

You get the picture.

Three # 1 RPI teams have gone 0-2 since 2009. You keep arguing that one of the best coaches in the game can't get it done. You just look ridiculous.

Miami was #1 and went 1-2.......I'm shocked that a team managed by Jim Morris would fall apart like that. But it was just random and unlucky.

Can you stop posting?

We get it, you hate Jim Morris and think anything less than a CWS title is a failure.

No, I think six straight years of bad defense, lame hitting, and no trips to Omaha was a failure. But I can rest assured knowing that:

1. Gino is back
2. We might get lucky in recruiting
3. The post-season is random anyway, so we should be proud of Coastal Division titles and not worry about national titles

Advertisement
Back