UF vs Miami series thread

There's nothing worse than a college pitcher who doesn't throw strikes. The umps give three to four inches off the plate and you get the high strike. 7-8-9 hitters up and Garcia picks his way into trouble.

You throw 90 mph from the left side and you're facing a freshman batting 9th. No excuse to walk that kid. The leadoff hitter is good and then punishes you for it.

I had a feeling Sunday would be an issue in big series and thus far, Garcia is showing why.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You keep arguing with yourself and ranting. You may need help. I suggest you enjoy an evening of baseball.

We saved the World tonight.

That is so embarrassingly predictable. We manage to win a single game in February, and the cheerleaders act like everything is roses.

In the past seven years, we have one single CWS game victory. But anyone who hates where our program is right now is an irrational non-fan who likes to rant.

You and mediocrity deserve each other.

No, you are irrational and continue rant and argue fallacies. I didn't say you were a non-fan. It is actually you clamoring about "super fans" not *****ing enough or acting like every loss is ok. Haven't seen people saying everything is roses. Haven't seen one person happy with a loss. The reason people are going over the top about the win last night is because we were told we couldn't beat Florida, the Rutgers series was meaningless and the season was over after this weekend. Not because we lack the big picture focus. You now reference a win in February as meaningless, while proclaiming the losses to be the end of the world.

Last edited:
You keep arguing with yourself and ranting. You may need help. I suggest you enjoy an evening of baseball.

We saved the World tonight.

That is so embarrassingly predictable. We manage to win a single game in February, and the cheerleaders act like everything is roses.

In the past seven years, we have one single CWS game victory. But anyone who hates where our program is right now is an irrational non-fan who likes to rant.

You and mediocrity deserve each other.

No, you are irrational and continue to argue with yourself. I didn't say you were a non-fan. It is actually you clamoring about "super fans" not *****ing enough or acting like every loss is ok. Haven't seen people saying everything is roses. Haven't seen one person happy with a loss. The reason people are going over the top about the win last night is because we were told we couldn't beat Florida, the Rutgers series was meaningless and the season was over after this weekend. Not because we lack the big picture focus. You now reference a win in February as meaningless, while proclaiming the losses to be the end of the world.

Ah, I see now. You're an "in the moment" kind of guy. If we swept Rutgers easily and then took one from an elite Florida team, we must be above average, maybe even pretty good. Problem is, the rest of us already know how this plays out. We will hang around the top four in the ACC, we will be in the hosting discussion, we might flirt with a National Seed because of our name, etc. Then we will get into the postseason and someone with an elite pitcher and a few good bats will eliminate us. It's like clockwork.

But every year, someone like you and CTCANE will jump in here and blast us because "it's a new year" and "let's see how the season goes", as though there is some new blossom of hope every February.

You don't know baseball well enough to see that we struggled to hit against Rutgers and things like walking the 9-hole hitter against the best team in the country already tell us that this season isn't going to be any different.

This used to be a program that competed for championships. Unfortunately, our ADs have been guys who think like you. As long as we make the post-season and draw some fans, everything is fine.

EDITED: the losses in February aren't the end of the world. They don't matter at all because I already know what May and June will look like.

There's nothing worse than a college pitcher who doesn't throw strikes. The umps give three to four inches off the plate and you get the high strike. 7-8-9 hitters up and Garcia picks his way into trouble.

You throw 90 mph from the left side and you're facing a freshman batting 9th. No excuse to walk that kid. The leadoff hitter is good and then punishes you for it.

I had a feeling Sunday would be an issue in big series and thus far, Garcia is showing why.

Not throwing strikes is infuriating. Almost always pay for it against good teams.

Advertisement
We need at least two additional bats to step forward. It's amazing how bad most of our at bats are.

It's time to evaluate the hitting approach we teach.

We need at least two additional bats to step forward. It's amazing how bad most of our at bats are.

It's time to evaluate the hitting approach we teach.

That is one of the pieces of the puzzle that causes concern with the coaching along with -
- fundamentals in the field
- fundamentals on base

I posed a few years ago that if we have a hitting coach he is stealing money. I haven't seen anything in the past couple of years to change that opinion

Advertisement
Ouch, 7-0...and its bottom 9 with them throwing a no hitter? Well, managed to get one win at least.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bottom of the lineup is BAD right now. Michelangeli and Romy Gonzalez flat don't look like they belong on this level. Maybe that changes as they get at bats. But in person both didn't look to have much bat speed, and were clearly over-matched by the Gators pitchers.

I posed a few years ago that if we have a hitting coach he is stealing money. I haven't seen anything in the past couple of years to change that opinion

Four years ago Missouri State was 31-23 and had a hitting coach who was a program legend. Been there like 30 years, in the school hall of fame, all that jazz. He was "encouraged" to retire but he resisted. They went 26-31 the next season and they forced his retirement and brought in a new hitting coach. Here is the progression of players on the team for all three of those seasons:

.295/.392/.402 with 18 BB/26 K and .265/.347/.378 with 23 BB/46 K

To

.310/.447/.498 with 46 BB/57 K

Another player:

.285/.436/.367 with 41 BB/22 K and .290/.403/.400 with 40 BB/20 K

To

.400/.523/.480 with 25 BB/ 15 K

Next player:

.219/.333/.263 with 21 BB/34 K and .266/.354/.365 with 29 BB/35 K

To

.309/.455/.438 with 55 BB/37 K

Team went from .260/.347/.360 to .290/.395/.415 and their record was 49-12 and they gained a national seed.

They added a freshman All-American, who is good, but otherwise they added very little to the team other than the hitting coach. That is a powerful difference in just one voice and approach to hitting being changed and the impact it can have overall on the program.

Advertisement
Back